Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: THIS Will Get Cops Killed on the Streets

THIS Will Get Cops Killed on the Streets

New city of Chicago PD "UOF" principles: "Sanctity of life, de-escalation and accountability"

I fear that these young officers are going out into the streets lacking the necessary mindset to prevail and survive.....could be wrong, it's happened before.

https://www.cityofchicago.org/city/e...eRecruits.html
    Gun Free Zones Aren’t an Inhibition….they’re an Invitation.

Until I read what the protocols and standards for use of (deadly) force are, I'll reserve judgement. (Though I'll admit to more than a bit of skepticism...)
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Anyone who expects anything but useless, pandering drivel from the Mayor of Chicago is in for a big surprise, so I'm not in the least surprised by these comments. Like Blues said, he can postulate whatever PC BS he wants, if the UOF training at the academy is common sense and holds to the constitutionally established guidelines for what's "reasonable," I think the FTOs will learn the newbies on what's really what on the streets.

But, it is Chicago, so...

Wrote two articles about these very topics...

Tactical De-escalation at work

De-escalation and the worst case scenario.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

lacking the necessary mindset to prevail and survive..
    Respectfully, that sounds like the mindset of a US Marine, or an occupation force, not someone serving the community.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Until I read what the protocols and standards for use of (deadly) force are, I'll reserve judgement. (Though I'll admit to more than a bit of skepticism...)
    That's a reasonable and prudent position to take....

Having lived and worked on the south side of Chicago for 27 years, I've moved far beyond scepticism to blatant and systematic cynicism.

Quote Originally Posted by Zincwarrior View Post
    Respectfully, that sounds like the mindset of a US Marine, or an occupation force, not someone serving the community.
    Having been a lowly swabby, I can't speak for the Marines.

If a LE begins a watch without the mindset that he's going to prevail and survive that day to go home to his family, he should probably find another line of work.

Whether it should be properly attributed to George Orwell or Winston Churchill, I believe it's a true today as ever: “People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.”

The community is not "served" by police who are afraid to confront violence, prevail and survive.

That's my opinion, and yes, I know what that's worth.

Quote Originally Posted by walker2713 View Post
    That's a reasonable and prudent position to take....

Having lived and worked on the south side of Chicago for 27 years, I've moved far beyond scepticism to blatant and systematic cynicism.
    Ray Kelly used to be our commissioner. Chicago ain't got nothing I ain't seen one way or another. Tits on a bull would have been more useful.
    Last edited by blues; 06-29-2017 at 01:04 PM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

We're pushing a lot of the same stuff on new officers. It's not all bad. A lot of it is just giving the community the police that they deserve. Most of the newer guys just answers calls, don't patrol and don't do anything proactive. They're not dumbasses, if anything the millennial generation of cops is here to perform a job, not "the job". If the department isn't going to back them, they look out for themselves first and avoid putting themselves in bad situations. I don't mean that in a bad way. They actually have the mentality that can force a lot of change on police supervision and management.

That doesn't address those situations when just go to hell in a hand basket, I haven't been that impressed. But it's not like the old guys are anything to brag about either.
    Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right.

Living across the Golden Bridge , and through the Rainbow Tunnel, somewhere north of Fantasyland.
    Our new use of force policy (adopted late last year) enshrines the "sanctity of all life including offenders", explicitly stated it is more restrictive than SCOTUS case law, rejects reasonable force standards in favor of "minimal" and "proportional" force, takes away one of our force options (carotid Restraint) while giving nothing new (no tasers). There is a clear trend of de-policing here.....guys only answer calls, no proactive arrests. Six month probies are becoming cynical useless burnouts. Cops are not using force properly or appropriately.....had a female officer get choked unconscious by a DV suspect....her partner and the backup just kept trying to wrestle him. No one recognized it as a deadly force situation. The problem with transforming Law Enforcement into Law Encouragement is......no one is left to enforce the law.

User Tag List