Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What makes a shooter "good?"

Define "good."

I've seen these threads in other forums and they provide for great dialogue. Caleb's thread on the IDPA DM classification has started a little debate which lends to a great topic for another thread.

So, what makes a shooter "good" or "good enough?" Is it a test, accomplishment, drill...etc?
    Last edited by gtmtnbiker98; 03-05-2011 at 11:37 AM.

That's a rather vague term, since "good" is relative. If you're hitting your target with only the occasional miss, then you're probably good enough if your goal is general self-defense/concealed carry. If you're a competitor, then hitting your target each and every time within the ten ring is probably "good." If you're competing against Jerry Michulek, then "good" probably means whoever comes in 2nd (and maybe 3rd or 4th).

Among my friends, I'm considered pretty good. When I was competing in my local bowling pin league, I was fair to middlin'. If I ever showed my face at IDPA, I'd probably be in the "also ran" category. (Although I'm workin' on it -- LOL!) So again, "good" is very relative. If you're bringing home a trophy every now and then, isn't that "good enough?"
    "If guns cause crime, all mine are defective." - Ted Nugent

Quote Originally Posted by Glockslinger View Post
    That's a rather vague term, since "good" is relative.
    That really is the question, isn't it? Good at what? Good enough to do what?

K.C. Eusebio is good at being a blazing fast shooter.
    Jim Cirillo was good at surviving gunfights.
    Bill Jordan was good at hip shooting.
    (All of those three statements are UNDERstatements. )

Good enough for what? "Shooting" can mean very, very different things.

I will say that as far as I can tell, no matter what category of "good" you pick, dedicated, effective, efficient, focused practice is what makes you good. (Helps to have natural talent, obviously---but that isn't necessary, in my opinion.)

Different practice for different types of "good", though.

Take defensive pistol shooting, what is a benchmark that must or "should" be made to be considered good or adequate? How does one get good?

Oils and Lotions SME

shoot shooot shoooot !!

As others have mentioned, "good" is a relative term. One reasonable way to approach this question is to decide what your goal is - then define "good" as having achieved that goal.

In that spirit, for my own 0-60 plan, the definitions are as follows. Here, "good" means a solid grasp of the fundamentals, and the ability to execute them competently. It's a good foundation on which to get better.

Marksmanship:
    1. Distance at which 100% hits can be guaranteed on a 3x5 card when shooting 2-handed: 7yd
    2. Distance at which 100% hits can be guaranteed on a 3x5 card SHO and WHO: 5yd
    3. The Test in 15 seconds (all in black)

The Draw:
    1. Time to draw and hit an 8" circle at 7yd from concealment: 2 seconds
    2. Time to draw and get six hits on an 8" circle at 7yd from concealment: 3.5 seconds

Reloads, multiple targets, etc.:
    1. Time to perform a reload from concealment: 2.5 seconds
    2. FAST in 10 seconds
    3. El Pres in 10 seconds
    4. DTI Dance in 13 seconds

Consistency (longer tests):
    1. 225 on the Hack
    2. 550 on the Humbler

ETA: I derived these goals from various threads on FT&T. As always, any feedback would be most welcome!

This topic can be a bit controversial.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Cunningham View Post
    This topic can be a bit controversial.

Yes, indeed. Trying to strike some dialogue like we had over on FT&T.

The good shooters are on the FAST wall

User Tag List