Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Glock MHS Entry Pistols

Quote Originally Posted by Polecat View Post
    Glock should just make a "tween" model between the G17 and G19, and then one between G26 and G19.
    This makes me chuckle a bit after reading countless posts on numerous forums asking for an M&P that was G19 size.

Essentially, you want Glock to make a gun that is M&P 9 full size, and one that is M&P 9 compact size.

Don't get me wrong, I agree with you. I've often compared the G19 to a smallish college defensive end, who ends up being a "tweener" in the NFL - too small to play defensive end, and too slow/not athletic enough to play linebacker. I think the G19 is kind of small for a duty gun and a little large for a concealment gun. M&P does a much better job covering those bases, in my opinion.

I think the M&P is a more useful full size gun than the G17 and G19, and the M&P 9 compact is a better concealment size than a G19 and more useful as a shooter than a G26.
    Last edited by JTQ; 06-28-2017 at 07:34 PM.

I do like that they bevel the front of the slide like they have been doing on the baby Glocks for some time.
    Don’t blame me. I didn’t vote for that dumb bastard.

Site Supporter
    Where is the G19 frame, G17 slide pistol?!!!!!! Dammit! The G19 grip is perfect and they do this shit!

Quote Originally Posted by call_me_ski View Post
    Given the popularity of the carry sized pistols from Sig there is definitely a market for this gun. Id pick one up in black. Not sure that I would want the safety but that is another hole in Glock's offerings and would serve as a meaningful expansion of their line.

With the lull in the market we are more likely to see these offerings as Glock needs to do more than simply make more Glock 19 pistols. I think we will see the FBI and the would have been Army guns in time.

Also of note is that a lot of people speculated that the "new" 2 pin design of the 17M/19M would limit the design to 9mm. Glock seems to feel otherwise as their 23MHS is of the same 2 pin design and the M guns.
    Considering that Glock is making RTF 2 pistols with gills again to jump start sales, I would say that the likelihood is good that we will this on the market in some form. They are no longer selling every Glock 19 pistol they make without question.
    I see these recent runs of RTF2 as Glock milking the last dollar out of the GEN3 guns before shifting production lines over to a next generation design. The recent runs of GEN4s with front cocking serrations have a similar feel to me. The innards of the 'M' guns and their small parts are considerably different than the GEN3/GEN4 - in my mind Glock didn't set up the 'M' production line just for the relatively small (but nevertheless prestigious) FBI contract. I agree that we will see some of these features in commercial guns.

We can speculate all day about what a 'GEN5' will have, but I think looking at the common features of the 'M' and 'MHS' entrants probably gives us a sense of where Glock is going. The frames are similar - no finger grooves and ambidextrous slide stops are common to both pistols. As you pointed out, even the .40 entrant is a two pin design, contrary to some media reports. However the magwell on the MHS entrant differs considerably from the flared opening and half moon cut on the 'M' gun (and to complicate matters further there have also been some photos of 'M' guns without the half-moon cut). Glock has quietly produced manual safety models for various agencies for years, but not for civilian customers. I'm doubtful the MHS safety will ever see the US commercial market.

The slides of the 'M' and 'MHS' are similar, both featuring the front bevel, though they have very different finishes. I wonder whether Glock would use the IonBond finish of the 'M' guns for commercial sales, or use something different? The combination of the 17 grip with the 19 slide is intriguing. I think this combination would make for an interesting MOS pistol, but I suspect we'll see the standard 17 and 19 sized guns before any 'tweens' are introduced.
    Last edited by JSGlock34; 06-28-2017 at 09:47 PM.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjolnir View Post
    DHS, Coast Guard, ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The Coast Guard is part of DHS.

The only DHS component which has bought the 320 so far is ICE. while 15k to 18k pistols is a decent contract, CBP and USCG are the two biggest groups of gun carriers within DHS.

JSGlock34, That is interesting. I didn't have an opportunity to read the entire GOA report.
    http://www.gao.gov/assets/690/685461.pdf

Is this it, or is this a redacted version?

All is see there that I can more or less understand is licensing rights and about 40% cheaper for SIG.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Glock MHS Entry Pistols

Quote Originally Posted by MSparks909 View Post
    This isn't Sig but I remember reading or heading from someone "in the know" that it costs Glock about $110 to build a pistol due to economy of scale. I imagine Sig's cost for the P320 is under $150 to manufacture.
    In 2007 Gaston Glock was at SHOT and HE stated that it cost $54 to manufacture a Glock 19: $27 for the slide assembly and $27 for the frame assembly.

He also stated that the largest cost save they have realized was... the magazine follower. It initially was milled.

True story.

Last edited by Mjolnir; 07-01-2017 at 08:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mjolnir View Post
    In 2007 Gaston Glock was at SHOT and HE stated that it cost $54 to manufacture a Glock 19: $27 for the slide assembly and $27 for the frame assembly.

He also stated that the largest cost save they have realized was... the magazine follower. It initially was milled.

True story.

That's crazy. Much lower than I thought. So when they sell a gun to a civilian they are making an 8-900% profit. Per gun. Sell it at a discount to LE or Mil and they're still making 4-500% profit per gun. Puts things into perspective.
    Shoot more, post less...

Site Supporter
    That's crazy. Much lower than I thought. So when they sell a gun to a civilian they are making an 8-900% profit. Per gun. Sell it at a discount to LE or Mil and they're still making 4-500% profit per gun. Puts things into perspective.
    I've heard various production costs for Glocks.from $54 to $169. Even at the high end the profit margin is significant.

$54, if it is the number, is likely direct unit cost per pistol, and would not include all the non direct costs they have within Glock USA and Austria, and before discounts to distributors.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

User Tag List