Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Glock MHS Entry Pistols

I think it is fair to say that skill trumps hardware. However, when it comes to hunting rifles, competition or carry handguns, virtually every highly skilled shooter I have met obsesses over the minutia of hardware.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

As a reply, what I was referring to was the guys who typically are not allowed to modify GFE (issued) weapons. They get a piece of gear issued, (Like a G19) and they practice with it until they are highly proficient. They are not carving off the finger grooves or undercutting the trigger guard. They simply shoot, shoot, and shoot some more. The better PSD teams come to mind as a good example. Guys who (depending on mission tempo) may typically burn through 500 or so rounds a week in practice in between doing PSD runs. Yes, they might like the latest "John Wick" version of the Glock 75, but they are quite proficient with the one in their holster and if it says Gen 3, Gen 4 or Gen 5 is really of minor importance.

Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    As a reply, what I was referring to was the guys who typically are not allowed to modify GFE (issued) weapons. They get a piece of gear issued, (Like a G19) and they practice with it until they are highly proficient. They are not carving off the finger grooves or undercutting the trigger guard. They simply shoot, shoot, and shoot some more. The better PSD teams come to mind as a good example. Guys who (depending on mission tempo) may typically burn through 500 or so rounds a week in practice in between doing PSD runs. Yes, they might like the latest "John Wick" version of the Glock 75, but they are quite proficient with the one in their holster and if it says Gen 3, Gen 4 or Gen 5 is really of minor importance.
    I have worked on two different PSD teams for senior government officials in the past couple years and they have the same problem any other gun toting unit has: they have a few enthusiasts who will put in the time to get better, but the vast majority of them are armed because it's their job and don't do much beyond the minimum. Also, both teams I've worked with have special snowflake rifles and pistols just so they can be "different" than the broader organization they fall under.

There is a point where you just need to master the equipment you have, and a lot of after market frame and slide modifications have no use on a service pistol, but with regards to the gen5 magwell vs the mhs magwell, there is a significant performance difference between the two.

Quote Originally Posted by Gio View Post
    I have worked on two different PSD teams for senior government officials in the past couple years and they have the same problem any other gun toting unit has: they have a few enthusiasts who will put in the time to get better, but the vast majority of them are armed because it's their job and don't do much beyond the minimum. Also, both teams I've worked with have special snowflake rifles and pistols just so they can be "different" than the broader organization they fall under.

There is a point where you just need to master the equipment you have, and a lot of after market frame and slide modifications have no use on a service pistol, but with regards to the gen5 magwell vs the mhs magwell, there is a significant performance difference between the two.
    I certainly cannot argue about the team breakdown of guys who will train harder and those who will just train to a certain level. I have seen that myself numerous times. Having snowflake gear to be different sounds like the "Good Idea Fairy" visited "Mr. Cool Guy" with his mirrored Oakleys and they had a love child who is "Special Needs" instead of Special Mission..

I can imagine your frustration.

Quote Originally Posted by Morbidbattlecry View Post
    I've always wondered what a 19 slide on a 17 frame would shoot and feel like.
    Grab an FNS or 509 and you'll know

Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    I don't entirely disagree with your point; I've been issued less than desirable service weapons (a battered M9 and a rebuilt M4 leap to mind) and made them work. I've seen a great number of marginal shooters who focus on minutiae and - to GJM's point - pursue questionable aftermarket hardware solutions to software problems. As a forum of enthusiasts, we tend to debate the details.

However, I think at a certain point in this thread the discussion shifted from the merits of Glock's MHS entry as a service pistol to its merits for private purchase. No one is getting issued a Glock MHS as it lost the Army competition, but Glock's statement that their MHS will be available commercially coinciding with their debut of the GEN5 invites a direct comparison of the two models. In that direct comparison, I personally find the Gen5 features more appealing and applicable to a broader range of users than the MHS, given a choice between the two.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Quote Originally Posted by Gio View Post
    What's your definition of a "true Pro?"

I can tell you that some of the little details like the size and shape of the magwell and how easy it is to manipulate the safety lever make a tremendous difference to me. The magwell on the MHS gun looks terribly non-user friendly compared to the gen3/4 and especially gen5 magwell.

If you're talking about the avg professional gun carrier who qualifies a handful of times a year and has never put themselves on a shot timer, than I agree that they are going to stick them in their holster and carry on, but they will never shoot them at an unconscious level of competence. All of the high level shooters I know who are also professional gun toters make little tweaks here and there to their pistols to make it "perfect" for them.
    I may have missed a picture somewhere but the magwell looks like a Gen4 one?

The clip in lanyard loop has been available for a while and we have a couple guy using them happily as IPSC Production legal butt plugs.
    Welcome to Africa, bring a hardhat.

Quote Originally Posted by ralph View Post
    Interesting pistol, but I can see why it was rejected...After all this was a "Modular" pistol contract we're talking about here. I'm not seeing anything modular about it. Still if they offered it for sale to the public, I'm sure they'd sell like hotcakes. Myself? I'll pass, I don't see how it does anything better than my g17..

Assuming you could swap the 19 and 17 tops, along with the different back straps, I believe that would meet their definition of modular. It doesn't seem modular specifically means changeable grip frames in this instance. This would be a wise move by Glock (instant doubling of SKUs), and I hope they've incorporated this in the gen 5 design.

They haven't

PensFan
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    Assuming you could swap the 19 and 17 tops, along with the different back straps, I believe that would meet their definition of modular. It doesn't seem modular specifically means changeable grip frames in this instance. This would be a wise move by Glock (instant doubling of SKUs), and I hope they've incorporated this in the gen 5 design.
    17 slides and 19 frames and vice versus are not interchangeable. It's unlikely you will see a commercially released glock with a manual safety.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

User Tag List