Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: New gun, new trigger, or keep fighting the good fight?

Quote Originally Posted by spinmove_ View Post
    Which is exactly what GJM said.

I understand that it's just one data point and further testing is warranted. I also understand that size, weight, reliability, control ability, and sight options are also a thing. But if I can shoot one thing cold better than another thing I practice regularly with warm, doesn't that tell me something?

Sent from mah smertfone using tapathingy
    I'm not sure you do understand, since everyone is saying pretty much the same thing and you seem to keep wanting to ignore it. that tells me that you want to carry the Sig, so carry the Sig.

If I'm wrong...

Go shoot the IDPA classifier, or the Hackathorn Standards, or any similar set of drills and report back your scores. For it to mean anything you need to shoot it at least 5 times with each gun, on separate days so that whatever gun you start with doesn't allow you to get warmed up for the other gun.

Quote Originally Posted by nwhpfan View Post
    So many variables with shooting a group personally I wouldn't prioritize that as a reason to pick one gun over the other.

As far as a dry fire goes, you always have 5 minutes Just say'n.

Generally when I hear a person talk about one gun over the other, if they shoot the gun they hardly shoot better I say give them more rounds and they will be just as bad with it. Often the gun with the trigger you are least familiar with you are less likely to prerecoil push, flinch, etc. You hear this with people that got that new gun and suddenly shot so much better.

It really doesn't matter which gun you want to take to the next level, it's you and your training. Ie, it's the software not the hardware.
    True, and now that you mention the "new gun" thing, that does make sense. Remembering back to when I bought and/or tried new guns only to shoot them more over time, I do remember doing well with them for a time and then tapering off because of familiarity and/or possibly laziness.

Quote Originally Posted by BJXDS View Post
    how do you shoot the P320 compact, PX4c, SP2022 in 9mm, or something else?
    Could it be you were less focused with the G19 because you felt more familiar with it?
    I've never had a chance to shoot the P320 compact, but I have shot a P320 full size and remember doing pretty well with it, never pushed it to 25 yards though. Never shot a SP2022 in 9mm before, those are hard to find rentals for. I do have a friend that has a PX4c that I could test drive again, it's been forever. It is very possible that I was less focused with it and hearkens to what nwhpfan brought up.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Yes. It tells you about group size at a given distance in a given circumstance under no time pressure.

I can tell you that I have a similar experience, though. I shoot the Glock left easier when shooting for groups and earlier when shooting for time. Sig just shoots better for me. I had just over 5 years of all Glock all the time, and still shot the Sig better at any meaningful test. The difference was much more pronounced after I broke my hand and ended up with crooked fingers because now my fingers and the finger grooves don't even pretend to get along.

Try some Bill drills or 5x5x5 drills and see what the target and timer say. Also realize at a certain point you are splitting hairs and it's time to just make a decision and roll with it.
    True and that makes sense. I have also traditionally just shot SIGs better as well.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    I'm not sure you do understand, since everyone is saying pretty much the same thing and you seem to keep wanting to ignore it. that tells me that you want to carry the Sig, so carry the Sig.

If I'm wrong...

Go shoot the IDPA classifier, or the Hackathorn Standards, or any similar set of drills and report back your scores. For it to mean anything you need to shoot it at least 5 times with each gun, on separate days so that whatever gun you start with doesn't allow you to get warmed up for the other gun.
    You're right, rob_s. Reading back on all of the comments, you guys are all pretty much saying the same thing. Which is why I don't make hasty decisions like this anymore and at the very least bounce it off someone else before going too crazy with tangential thoughts. So thank you, and everyone else, for smacking me in the back of the head so to speak. It just kind of shocked me a little when I saw that group I shot with the SP2022. That's hands down the smallest group I've ever shot with any pistol at that distance so I guess I should just be happy with it and just continue to drive on.
    Last edited by spinmove_; 06-28-2017 at 09:08 AM.

Site Supporter
    To be fair...I switched from Glock recently...I like Berettas, and now have multiple 92s...enough to practice, carry, and compete.

I also measured my performance on Bill drills, Failure Drills,1r2, and 25 yard shooting. The only drill I objectively shot Glocks better on was the 1r2.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    To be fair...I switched from Glock recently...I like Berettas, and now have multiple 92s...enough to practice, carry, and compete.

I also measured my performance on Bill drills, Failure Drills,1r2, and 25 yard shooting. The only drill I objectively shot Glocks better on was the 1r2.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    Right now I don't have the budget to completely switch platforms, so even if I wanted to, I couldn't do it. I will, however, be putting a little more time behind the SP2022 just to see what happens. I planned on picking up some 10 round magazines and a holster and mag pouch for it so I can do ban state carry with it, so I should practice with it more anywho. If it turns out that I can objectively shoot that or another similar platform better, then in time I'll make the switch.

New gun, new trigger, or keep fighting the good fight?

Spinmove--I went down this rabbit hole with p320c vs G19. I shoot the 320c measurably better than the 19 (see the Gabe White drill thread below for one example). I still prefer to carry the 19, and sometimes a 43. I'm satisfied with my performance with these guns, and size, comfort, concealment, Gadget, and parts availability make Glock the best choice for me.

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sha...0&share_type=t
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 06-28-2017 at 10:56 AM.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

I wouldn't go to making too many drastic decisions based on one range trip if it were me. Looks like you mentioned you were going to gather more data, and I think that would be the best course of action.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Spinmove--I went down this rabbit hole with p320c vs G19. I shoot the 320c measurably better than the 19 (see the Gabe White drill thread below for one example). I still prefer to carry the 19, and sometimes a 43. I'm satisfied with my performance with these guns, and size, comfort, concealment, Gadget, and parts availability make Glock the best choice for me.

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sha...0&share_type=t
    What's keeping you carrying the G19?

Banned
    True, but should that not be an important metric to consider? Are you always going to be able to regularly dry practice or get to the range on a regular basis? As stated in the OP I'm not going to immediately cease carrying my G19 nor will I be selling it off nor will I cease practicing with it.

Why do you think tight groups at 25 yards with a handgun is a realistic metric for any practice use of a firearm?

I think you should be spending much more time on good groups at closer ranges quickly delivered via drawing from where and how you conceal your firearm.

Quote Originally Posted by NickS View Post
    Why do you think tight groups at 25 yards with a handgun is a realistic metric for any practice use of a firearm?

I think you should be spending much more time on good groups at closer ranges quickly delivered via drawing from where and how you conceal your firearm.
    Because having to defend yourself at 25 yards and out isn't all that unrealistic. How big is your grocery store's parking lot? How big is your grocery store inside? Under stress of having to defend yourself and shooting at that distance, I know I won't be shooting as well as I did in that picture. So shooting tighter in perfect conditions improves my chances of not shooting super loose in a bad situation. I'm still accountable for every single round that leaves that barrel.

I'm working on speed as well, which as you pointed out, is very valuable. I have another thread for that.

Banned
    Because having to defend yourself at 25 yards and out isn't all that unrealistic. How big is your grocery store's parking lot? How big is your grocery store inside? Under stress of having to defend yourself and shooting at that distance, I know I won't be shooting as well as I did in that picture. So shooting tighter in perfect conditions improves my chances of not shooting super loose in a bad situation. I'm still accountable for every single round that leaves that barrel.

I'm working on speed as well, which as you pointed out, is very valuable. I have another thread for that.

If you actually are thinking you will be shooting people at 25 yards, you better have one darn good lawyer. Your approach to this is wholly unrealistic.

User Tag List