Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: New gun, new trigger, or keep fighting the good fight?

Quote Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
    This is a little too close to saying Glock is the only rational choice and anything else is folly, since the non-Glock attributes and shortcomings of all the other available solutions will only serve to distract a given user from the one true quest.
    you read it how you want, just like you did the last post.

If you're confident in your choice of hte 9mm 1911 then it really shouldn't matter what some jerk on the internut thinks.

Quote Originally Posted by spinmove_ View Post
    there are still the people that live in crappy states where they might not be best served by a Glock (crap 10 round magazines and all that for a lot of models). If you were stuck in that situation would you live with those problematic magazines or would you find another solution?
    Lots of people can come up with lots of because:special reasons. Personally, I'd carry a Glock 43 or 26, but then lots of folks will find issue with that. But it's not supposed to be all about me, or so I'm often told.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Lots of people can come up with lots of because:special reasons. Personally, I'd carry a Glock 43 or 26, but then lots of folks will find issue with that. But it's not supposed to be all about me, or so I'm often told.
    Fair enough. There are different ways to skin that cat. I was just curious what yours was.

Sent from mah smertfone using tapathingy

Quote Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
    This is a little too close to saying Glock is the only rational choice and anything else is folly, since the non-Glock attributes and shortcomings of all the other available solutions will only serve to distract a given user from the one true quest.
    I don't see it that way though I can see why someone might. The Glock 19 was the first semi-auto I ever purchased in 1988 or 1989. And I've only ever been assigned a Colt Gov't Model (series 70) and a S&W 6906 before the agency went entirely to Glocks in the early to mid 90's.

During my years carrying Glocks on and off the job I was fortunate enough, (or unfortunate, depending on perspective), not to be enticed by the siren song of Berettas, Sigs and other firearms carried by my colleagues. I enjoyed shooting them from time to time but nothing ever made me want to move on from my Glocks which just ticked most of the boxes for me from function and reliability to ease of maintenance.

However, I wasn't a firearms enthusiast per se. I viewed handguns and long guns as tools to be employed in support of the mission. (The job's mission and my own mission to keep myself safe in doing so. And now, retired, for home and self defense.)

I shot the Colt and the S&W referenced above somewhat better (for qual scores) than my Glocks but I never wanted to go back to them to replace my Glocks for daily carry.

Nowadays, other than shooting my backup S&W 642, (or 686+ primarily for recreation), I am simply focusing on bettering my abilities with my three 9mm Glocks.

It really seems to boil down, in my mind, to what the mission for the firearm is, your comfort level with it, and the ability to keep it running at a high level via parts and accessories as required.

I don't doubt that had I cut my teeth on some of the other favorites here on the forum I might very well have a different perspective vis a vis my preference for Glocks. But I have no reason to change course at this juncture.
    Last edited by blues; 06-29-2017 at 09:35 AM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Site Supporter
    spinmove_, I think you have some good input here including from rob_s so take it for what it's worth. Then do what you think is right for you. I'm afraid I may have actually derailed your thread without meaning to.

Another consideration is what your goals are. Do you only want something specific, like being able to defend yourself. In that case, picking just one suitable pistol, is likely going to get you there with the least expenditure of time and money. Inevitably, that one pistol will be better at some things than other things. How you value those "other things" will likely influence what one pistol model you pick.

However, if you are trying to become a shooter in a more general sense, you eventually will want to be able to shoot a wider range of triggers and platforms. That might involve a more circuitous path, as you upgrade your hardware and your software skills. Along the way, that is likely to set you back compared to having invested all your energy into one specific pistol. Ultimately, I think shooting many triggers and pistols allows you to learn more, but that is just my opinion, and certainly not a recommendation.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Another consideration is what your goals are. Do you only want something specific, like being able to defend yourself. In that case, picking just one suitable pistol, is likely going to get you there with the least expenditure of time and money. Inevitably, that one pistol will be better at some things than other things. How you value those "other things" will likely influence what one pistol model you pick.

However, if you are trying to become a shooter in a more general sense, you eventually will want to be able to shoot a wider range of triggers and platforms. That might involve a more circuitous path, as you upgrade your hardware and your software skills. Along the way, that is likely to set you back compared to having invested all your energy into one specific pistol. Ultimately, I think shooting many triggers and pistols allows you to learn more, but that is just my opinion, and certainly not a recommendation.
    My goal is to defend me and mine, but I'm also very much interested in mastery with a pistol in general because I like it and it helps with defending me and mine.

I've rolled with a P229-1 and SP2022 in the past exclusively for a while before I delved into really getting better with Glocks. A G23Gen4 was also the first real pistol that I bought (and sold) also. I find changing it up does make me a more well rounded shooter capable of picking up most any pistol and running it competently at the same general level that I can run the pistol I shoot/practice with most.

Still, time and data will tell if I ultimately move to something else.

Sent from mah smertfone using tapathingy

Spinmove_ you have without any doubt received some of the best advise I've read on any thread. Additionally, you already have set your objective. As some one already essentially said, make your decision and roll with it.
    BTW, I do like NickS's comment on the 29 yards. Unless you are in law enforcement or shooting at some bad guy who is about to serious injure or kill another, in many jurisdictions the use of deadly force to take a 25 yard shot generally may not constitute a "justifiable" shooting. At 25 yards you are outside the circle of danger. Moreover, at such distance unless you are being shot at you are not in imminent danger of deadly force and you could escape. In fact, there are some prosecutors who would charge you with manslaughter or attempted manslaughter. Best of luck on your decision.

Quote Originally Posted by Ol"HossBeckwourth View Post
    Spinmove_ you have without any doubt received some of the best advise I've read on any thread. Additionally, you already have set your objective. As some one already essentially said, make your decision and roll with it.
    BTW, I do like NickS's comment on the 29 yards. Unless you are in law enforcement or shooting at some bad guy who is about to serious injure or kill another, in many jurisdictions the use of deadly force to take a 25 yard shot generally may not constitute a "justifiable" shooting. At 25 yards you are outside the circle of danger. Moreover, at such distance unless you are being shot at you are not in imminent danger of deadly force and you could escape. In fact, there are some prosecutors who would charge you with manslaughter or attempted manslaughter. Best of luck on your decision.
    Generally sound advice, but while I might be out of the circle of danger, someone else I care deeply about might be in that circle of danger. Considering that any use of force is a low probability event, given all the effort I have put into shooting at 25 yards and further, I do not like the idea of hardware limiting my useful range envelope and risk that my low probability event did not fall into the 3-7 yard expected engagement distance.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Generally sound advice, but while I might be out of the circle of danger, someone else I care deeply about might be in that circle of danger. Considering that any use of force is a low probability event, given all the effort I have put into shooting at 25 yards and further, I do not like the idea of hardware limiting my useful range envelope and risk that my low probability event did not fall into the 3-7 yard expected engagement distance.
    And being able to hit at distance means increased ability to make a partial/obscured shot up close.

User Tag List