Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What Happens When You Do Not Follow the Laws of Gun Safety

Banned

What Happens When You Do Not Follow the Laws of Gun Safety

This tragic story is one of most to the point demonstrations I can think of when you fail to follow every law of gun safety:

1) Treat every firearm as if it is loaded.
    2) Never point weapon at anything you are unwilling to destroy.
    3) Be aware of your background.
    4) Keep the finger off the trigger until you are ready to fire.

If only he had followed Law 1. Or if not, then Law 2.

Teen Did Not Think Gun Would Go Off

Even assuming his allegation is true, how do you fix stupidity / irresponsibility of this magnitude?

Is this a firearm belonging to a parent? Why was it not secured if not being carried? Was gun safety ever discussed or addressed as a family?

There is absolutely no excuse for this.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

He "thought" it wouldn't go off and expected that magic to prevent it from going off. Guess that's why when I "think" I'll win nationals it never happens, it's magic.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

I know I'm a cynic, but I'd bet one PF dollar that there's a LOT more to this story than what's in that clip. Just sayin...

On Friday, the local USCM reservists were starting their drill or AT (not sure which). When I came into the building, I saw several of them carrying their M4's as the strangest "port arms" I've ever seen - to whit, butt stock in strong hand, weak hand index finger in the muzzle. I couldn't help myself, and found the first Staff NCO in line of sight to ask what the actual fuck his Marines were doing. I only had to remind him of the mantra "Treat, Never, Keep, Keep" once for him to figure out what was wrong - and, God Bless him, he made the on-the-spot correction.

Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    I know I'm a cynic, but I'd bet one PF dollar that there's a LOT more to this story than what's in that clip. Just sayin...

On Friday, the local USCM reservists were starting their drill or AT (not sure which). When I came into the building, I saw several of them carrying their M4's as the strangest "port arms" I've ever seen - to whit, butt stock in strong hand, weak hand index finger in the muzzle. I couldn't help myself, and found the first Staff NCO in line of sight to ask what the actual fuck his Marines were doing. I only had to remind him of the mantra "Treat, Never, Keep, Keep" once for him to figure out what was wrong - and, God Bless him, he made the on-the-spot correction.
    some variation of this?
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

What Happens When You Do Not Follow the Laws of Gun Safety

Similar happenstance in the early to mid-1980s which led to a product liability lawsuit against Sterling Arms Corporation. The resulting defense costs and settlement forced Sterling Arms to close their doors.
    As skeptical as I am, I'm with psalms, there's more to this story than what first meets the eye.
    --
    What we need is more unemployed politicians.
    Last edited by busykngt; 06-26-2017 at 11:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Even assuming his allegation is true, how do you fix stupidity / irresponsibility of this magnitude?
    Evolution. It's the law.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Laws of gun safety?

They're more like guidelines.

Serious answer

Probably nothing. Then the bad firearms handling is ingrained deeper because "Ah been round guns my whole life" and tragedy has yet to strike. I'd venture to say the a decent slice of the gun owning population violates at least one rule just about every time they handle firearms. Most of those folks will not experience a tragedy due to their sloppy handling. Just dumb luck.

Stakes not odds should always be a qualifier with safety discussions.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Peally View Post
    He "thought" it wouldn't go off and expected that magic to prevent it from going off. Guess that's why when I "think" I'll win nationals it never happens, it's magic.

Peally, those bipeds are incapable of thought.
    Last edited by 11B10; 06-27-2017 at 07:53 PM.

User Tag List