Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Colt Combat Unit 9mm: Review and Initial Impression

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    This is the best solution. Recent Colts have been notorious for shipping with extractors that have zero tension on them whatsoever. My opinion is that it should basically be expected at this point that a new colt will need a little trigger work and extractor tensioning, just like knowing you're gonna have to spring for real sights when you buy a new glock. "Should" it be that way? No, of course not. But what are you expecting by shipping it back to Colt? They're gong to pull a new extractor out of the bin, throw it in, say that its "in spec" and then ship it back to you six months later. There isn't even a custom shop over there anymore that you can request take a look at your gun. The colt extractors are solid in terms of dimension and metallurgy, they just need proper tensioning, you don't even really need to buy a wilson part.
    I'll try adjusting it myself first before sending it back. Seems simple enough.
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

Add some tension on the BTGS via the leaf spring. Sometimes that cleans up the rattle. It won't make the fit any better, but it's less annoying

Quote Originally Posted by TAZ View Post
    $1200 plus and you have to replace/retune the extractor. Jesus, I'm getting old cause for that kind of cash I'd expect the thing to function out of the box.
    I know I'm getting old. Old enough to remember when folks would buy a Colt and send it to a gunsmith who was a "1911 guy", to have all of the known potential issues fixed, before they would carry them. Throat, ramp, trigger work, extractor tuning, slide and bushing fitting were almost the norm. Other companies were pushing out wonder nines that would function right out of the box. Colt still hasn't seemed to catch on fully. Other 1911 manufacturers seem to have a better ratio of success out of the box. I fear they are just going to be a name in American industrial history fairly soon. But hey, they are making DA revolvers again...

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rdtompki View Post
    We have at least 80K rounds combined through our two SA 9mm 1911s (used for competition). they have been flawless with only a cracked firing pin stop between the two. The stock triggers are a bit variable (we have several), but I wouldn't hesitate to use one of these for self defense.
    The RO family of 9mm springers was what I was looking at. I'll keep that in mind for the future. Thanks!

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc View Post
    Other 1911 manufacturers seem to have a better ratio of success out of the box.
    I agree with that statement when it comes to the likes of Wilson Combat and other high-end makers. Compared to their main competitors, I do not think Colt pistols of even fairly recent manufacture are less likely to function properly. At least it has not been my experience. However, I do think Colt should make efforts to improve their QA. They've brought some nice models to market over the past couple years but have not shown an improvement in quality it seems. I do not fault the person who makes the decision to pay a little more and gets into Dan Wesson products for a little more money.

I like all the Colts I currently own, but if I were to start over there is a good chance I would go with Dan Wesson even if it meant one less pistol in my possession due to the cost difference. I would not choose Springfield Armory or Ruger over Colt at this time. Many other makers do not offer enough choices in 9mm to make me interested.

Colt leadership just can't seem to get their act together enough to really raise the bar on quality, with the exception of the Custom Shop which is not currently taking on new requests for builds.

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    Bummer. I love the idea of buying a 9mm 1911 but have avoided them so far in favor of plastic handguns whose function I felt I could trust a little more out of the box...
    In all honesty, I have a Sig Legion P226 SAO that is every bit as accurate (likely more accurate) and soft shooting as this Colt. People who want a single action 9mm should look hard at that Sig or shoot mine if they live near Piedmont NC.

I got the 9mm CCU because I own a bunch of semi-custom 1911s but not a single Colt. Something about that seemed a bit wrong. Plus, I heard the song of the 1911 calling me back...telling me that the 9mm 1911 was finally ready for prime time.

On the bright side, this extractor issue and Bill's suggestion have spurred me to learn how to do some basic adjustments aside from replacing recoil springs every 5,000 rounds. I've been spoiled by the fact that Wilsons, Browns, and Pros come from the shop running in tip top shape. I sent one of my Pros back to SA Custom shop at 25,000 rounds for a tune up; nothing was wrong with it but it was a gun that I carried a lot back then and didn't want to wait for a part to fail. Other than that, all of my 1911s are all under 20,000 rounds since I now mostly shoot Glocks and Sigs.

If my attempts at fixing the extractor fail, then I'll probably send it to Wilson to get it tuned up rather than sending it to Colt. That way, Wilson can fit a new beaver tail safety and magwell. If I go that route, I'll need to do some research on the best way of matching the Ionbond finish to Wilson's parts.

I think you can bend, maybe file, your extractor into submission.

You may have to be selective on ammo. I am a convert to the integral ramp for calibers other than .45 and even for it in 2011.
    My Colt 1991A1 is getting the rather pointy plated Xtreme bullet exclusively. Federal AE factory seems closest, that "subsonic" looks a little blunt on the tip.
    My integral ramp Springfield based MixMaster shoots the truncated cones and blunt roundnose. The SA UC has been set up for hollowpoints.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

So, I attempted to adjust the extractor tension according to the procedure outlined in this Wilson Combat YouTube video: https://youtu.be/UOSmJd7HaDY

Before any adjustment the extractor would barely grip a spent casing with light shaking. After 4 trips between the shooting line and work bench I gradually got it to where the extractor would grip an empty casing so that could not be shaken loose with vigorous shaking. However, the extractor would still not pass the 10-8 test due to occasional FTE's, multiple rounds coming back at my face, or even ejecting to the 10 o'clock (WTF?). Moreover, I started having FTF issues when firing from a full mag which suggested that the extractor was too tight.

After 4 attempts and 50-60 wasted rounds I threw my hands up in surrender and called Colt. They are supposedly emailing me a return authorization.

Vending Machine Operator
    I have about 500 rounds through my 2016-made Colt O1091 right out of the box without issue. This thread has me thinking maybe I got a lil bit lucky.

I paid $750. If I paid $1200 and it was choking I'd be livid.

Have not heard of the 10-8 test, will need to try that.
    Last edited by LockedBreech; 06-26-2017 at 04:47 PM.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

I think of Colts as good base guns. If I wanted a gun to be awesome enough to carry OOB I'd buy a DW.

I /really/ like a Colt with some love, though.
    Ignore Alien Orders

User Tag List