Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast

Thread: Colt Combat Unit 9mm: Review and Initial Impression

SACS put a BP magwell, thumb safety, and grip safety on my CRG, all of which feel awesome. I wish it was in 9mm, but at least it runs well.

This gun now has about 800 rounds through it since coming back from Wilson. The first 200 were pretty rocky due to frequent FTF with 147 grain HST and AE using ETM mags. This was partially improved with Tripp Cobra mags. Last night I removed the shock buffer and 12lb flat wire recoil spring in favor of a standard guide rod and Wolff 14lb spring. The idea is to get more forward slide inertia to prevent those FTFs (bullet nose almost in the chamber). The gun cycled 50 rounds of 124 grain AE and 100 rounds of 147 grain HST without issue. That makes me happy.
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    This gun now has about 800 rounds through it since coming back from Wilson. The first 200 were pretty rocky due to frequent FTF with 147 grain HST and AE using ETM mags. This was partially improved with Tripp Cobra mags. Last night I removed the shock buffer and 12lb flat wire recoil spring in favor of a standard guide rod and Wolff 14lb spring. The idea is to get more forward slide inertia to prevent those FTFs (bullet nose almost in the chamber). The gun cycled 50 rounds of 124 grain AE and 100 rounds of 147 grain HST without issue. That makes me happy.
    Glad to hear that it's working better! My super works best with jacketed ammo that isn't loaded down to bunny fart levels. I like the Tripp mags the best but the Wilson .38 super mags work too. You'll learn a lot during a 2000 round test.

50 rounds of 124 AE and 50 rounds of 147 HST using Cobra mags today. There was 1 FTF with the HST.

Two of the three 9mm 1911s that I have owned did not like 124 HST, never tried 147. They all ran 124 and 124+P Gold Dots like it was ball. A friend gave me a big ziploc bag full of the mixed Gold Dots, that his guys had turned in, and we shot a half dozen mags of it through them one afternoon and had zero failures.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Just picked up a CCU CCO in 9mm and put 250 rounds through it.

10x FTE on last round
    4x FTF: 3 while slow firing and 1 when rapid firing.

Ejected 2/10 rounds during the 10-8 extractor test using two hands, didn't try single hand.

When cleaning I noticed the extractor was super loose and not able to even hold an empty shell casing, put some extra tension on the extractor and will test again tomorrow.

I think the extraction errors may be solved, if not i'll replace it with a WC Extractor, and I think the FTF may be contributed to the dual recoil spring. Have some normal recoil springs on order from Wolf.

Amazingly all the issues I had were with the federal 115 gr, and had zero FTF or FTE with 147gr golden sabers.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by SirDrinksAlot View Post
    Just picked up a CCU CCO in 9mm and put 250 rounds through it.

10x FTE on last round
    4x FTF: 3 while slow firing and 1 when rapid firing.

Ejected 2/10 rounds during the 10-8 extractor test using two hands, didn't try single hand.

When cleaning I noticed the extractor was super loose and not able to even hold an empty shell casing, put some extra tension on the extractor and will test again tomorrow.

I think the extraction errors may be solved, if not i'll replace it with a WC Extractor, and I think the FTF may be contributed to the dual recoil spring. Have some normal recoil springs on order from Wolf.

Amazingly all the issues I had were with the federal 115 gr, and had zero FTF or FTE with 147gr golden sabers.
    I'm not terribly surprised. The Colts tend to be pretty oversprung, which you can get away with in a Commander but probably not a government model. Probably the cause of your FTF. The FTEs I'd almost certainly lay at the feet of your extractor, whether a failure in tension or deflection.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

50 rounds of 124 grain AE without issue using a mixture of Tripp Cobra and Wilson Vickers mags. However, the wheels fell off when I switched to 50 rounds of 147 grain Gold Dot. There were FTF x 4 across all types of mags.

Time to resurrect this thread. 50 more rounds of 147 grain HST using Wilson ETM, Vickers, and Dan Wesson mags. About half the rounds were fully loaded mags shot under a timer at a 6-plate rack from 10 yards. The other 25 were mags loaded with 3-rounds so that had to reload to take the rack. No failures. It seems to be doing OK with this 14lb Wolff spring and Wilson mags. The only issue now is that some of the Vickers mags are not dropping free. They eject 1/2 way and then must be stripped. The ETM mags drop fine.

So, the gun seems to be running OK so far with 147 grain HST and a 14lb recoil spring. The 147 gr GDHP were a no-go.

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    Time to resurrect this thread. 50 more rounds of 147 grain HST using Wilson ETM, Vickers, and Dan Wesson mags. About half the rounds were fully loaded mags shot under a timer at a 6-plate rack from 10 yards. The other 25 were mags loaded with 3-rounds so that had to reload to take the rack. No failures. It seems to be doing OK with this 14lb Wolff spring and Wilson mags. The only issue now is that some of the Vickers mags are not dropping free. They eject 1/2 way and then must be stripped. The ETM mags drop fine.

So, the gun seems to be running OK so far with 147 grain HST and a 14lb recoil spring. The 147 gr GDHP were a no-go.
    Thanks for the revival—very interested to see how this plays out. I’ve been looking at a combat unit in .45 myself

With regard to reliability issues since going to Wilson, would Wilson warranty their work since you’re still having issues?

User Tag List