Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Colt Combat Unit 9mm: Review and Initial Impression

Site Supporter
    I have had very little success with hollow points and the 9x9 integral ramped 9mm 1911 mags. Failed to feed every HP I've tried from Hornady Critical Duty (my preference) to HST to Gold Dot.

For whatever reason the ten round mags worked fine. I haven't tried the Wilson mags...I'd suggest probably just getting another Wilson if you want a duty grade reliable 1911 in 9mm...otherwise...there are better platforms for the 9.

For the .45 ACP, the 1911 can be made exceedingly reliable.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I’m going to give the Tripp Research mags a try and experiment with ammo. Updates to come in a couple of weeks.
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    For the .45 ACP, the 1911 can be made exceedingly reliable.
    It can be for the 9mm too. Colt just needs to be much more consistent with their QC. I've been fortunate with my Colts, it sucks that others have not.

I examined a couple of new offerings from Colt recently -- the new Custom Competition and the new Combat Elite and they were both fitted very nicely. But time will tell how they perform in the hands of shooters. I expect the Custom Competition to perform well given its cost, materials, and hand fitting, but we'll see.

Two Tripp Cobra mags and one Dawson mag arrived today. I headed to the range with:
    25 rounds of 147 grain AE
    50 rounds 124 grain Winchester NATO
    100 rounds 115 grain Federal target
    50 rounds 147 grain HST

75% of the rounds were fired with the 2 Tripp Research Cobra mags without malfunction including 40 rounds of the HST. The Dawson mag had 1 FTF with the HST (only 10 rounds fired).

IÂ’m starting to feel much better about this gun when paired with Dawson mags.

Edit the above post - I’m feeling better with the TRIPP RESEARCH MAGAZINES. I’ve ordered 4 more and testing will continue.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
    I agree 100% with the advice given by farscott. Colt barrels are excellent, so I personally would not swap that out. Plus slide to frame fit is not typically a factor in the accuracy of a 1911 so unless it simply bothers you there's not a lot to be gained from tightening it up.

One thing I've been experimenting with lately in my 9mm guns is the Wilson Combat flat wire recoil spring. I have them installed on two of my Colts and like them a lot so far.

With your CCU the reliability package is probably a good idea, though it's a shame the gun needs it.
    I've been using the Wilson FW springs for over a year now and like them a lot in my Colt .38 Super Auto. I've come to the conclusion that my pistol needs a combination of enough closing force from the spring and enough recoil from the round for very reliable operation. For that I'm using a #15 for ammo in the 1200fps/124 gr. range. For lesser power factor I use a #13 FW spring. My mainspring is the full power factory unit.
    Mine is well broken in, usually wet and dirty.
    Last edited by 1986s4; 09-18-2018 at 08:39 AM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 1986s4 View Post
    I've been using the Wilson FW springs for over a year now and like them a lot in my Colt .38 Super Auto. I've come to the conclusion that my pistol needs a combination of enough closing force from the spring and enough recoil from the round for very reliable operation. For that I'm using a #15 for ammo in the 1200fps/124 gr. range. For lesser power factor I use a #13 FW spring. My mainspring is the full power factory unit.
    Mine is well broken in, usually wet and dirty.
    An update to my previous post -- I now have the Wilson Combat Chrome Silicon recoil springs installed on a couple pistols and they are working fine as well. These are more traditional but WC claims longer life than typical steel recoil springs.

Here are some pictures of the Wilson upgrades (trigger job, reliability package, extractor, ejector, recoil spring package, hammer, beaver tail safety, thumb safety, barrel cut, and magwell).

Name:  9AEB5F09-DD25-44A0-A5E8-BA7DAFFC8B93.jpg
Views: 552
Size:  102.5 KB
    Name:  90289991-2F8F-44DC-8FCB-CFC97F1E283D.jpg
Views: 648
Size:  82.8 KB
    Name:  94D220FA-2234-4160-B8B1-5B0360471404.jpg
Views: 601
Size:  55.1 KB

Site Supporter
    Man that looks super nice! I really like that grip safety. And everything else.
    Last edited by Robinson; 09-21-2018 at 08:04 AM.

I have that grip safety on a pistol. I like it a lot. I guess a Brown with its tail reduced and reshaped is a little nicer, but for a box stock part the Wilson unit is awesome.

User Tag List