Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Colt Combat Unit 9mm: Review and Initial Impression

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    Is the barrel exhibiting problems? My Colt Commander had a fairly terrible barrel with overcut lower lugs and a crappy bushing fit.

Ultimately I bought an Ed Brown and was happy.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    No issues with the factory barrel. That is why I’m inclined to stick with the factory barrel unless someone has a compelling reason to replace it that I’ve not considered.
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

The gun got back from Wilson yesterday. Sadly, it will likely go back. It was testfired as follows:

The ammo was 200 rounds of Federal 147 grain AE and 50 rounds of 147 grain HST.

Initially, I used 2 Wilson ETMs 500-9B. These two mags could not make it past 6-8 rounds without a failure to feed where a round was pinned between the barrel rim and breechface with the round below it stovepiping in the magazine tube. I only fired 30 rounds of the AE between these 2 magazines and abandoned further testing with them due to the frequency of the malfunctions.

I also had 2 Vickers ETM mags which were much better but still not up to standards. These mags only had 2 FTFs (without the stovepiping) over the remaining 170 rounds of AE and 1 FTF with the 50 rounds of HST.

For what it’s worth, the gun passed a 16-round extractor test.

Maybe try experimenting with other mag flavors prior to sending it back. This is not the first I've heard of 9mm Colts disliking Wilson mags.

Quote Originally Posted by StraitR View Post
    Maybe try experimenting with other mag flavors prior to sending it back. This is not the first I've heard of 9mm Colts disliking Wilson mags.
    I have considered that. However, I have a Wilson CQB Elite (no rail) being built and my plan was to have both of these guns designed around the same parts and especially the magazines - hence my decision to send it to Wilson. That is to say, Wilson has a reputation for cracking the code to a ultra-reliable 9mm 1911 and much of that is attributed to their magazines being critical to the recipe. I’d MUCH rather not have these two guns running different mags. So much so that I’m more than willing to part ways with it to get another railed CQB Elite...provide the one sans rail actually lives up to its reputation.
    Last edited by Sensei; 09-08-2018 at 07:48 PM.

Makes sense to me.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    The gun got back from Wilson yesterday. Sadly, it will likely go back. It was testfired as follows:

The ammo was 200 rounds of Federal 147 grain AE and 50 rounds of 147 grain HST.

Initially, I used 2 Wilson ETMs 500-9B. These two mags could not make it past 6-8 rounds without a failure to feed where a round was pinned between the barrel rim and breechface with the round below it stovepiping in the magazine tube. I only fired 30 rounds of the AE between these 2 magazines and abandoned further testing with them due to the frequency of the malfunctions.

I also had 2 Vickers ETM mags which were much better but still not up to standards. These mags only had 2 FTFs (without the stovepiping) over the remaining 170 rounds of AE and 1 FTF with the 50 rounds of HST.

For what it’s worth, the gun passed a 16-round extractor test.
    Man it's a shame the amount of trouble you've had with that gun. I hope you get it worked out -- it must be frustrating as hell.

For what it's worth my Colts love the Wilson ETM mags.

Too bad you can’t burn it down and collect insurance money on that thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here are two pictures of the FTF from different angles:

Name:  504A07B8-1916-46A5-966F-E4DB05B538FC.jpg
Views: 594
Size:  25.3 KB
    Name:  259E1E52-DD9C-491B-B923-AC4B80EA0CDB.jpg
Views: 576
Size:  24.4 KB

Of note, the round is pinned between the lower parts of the barrel and breechface. The rim as yet to encounter the extractor, so I do not think that it’s an issue of extractor tension.

It is also easily cleared by slingshotting the slide.
    Last edited by Sensei; 09-09-2018 at 10:42 AM.

I have several cases of the AE 147 grain, and it's among my favorite practice ammunition, but I'm not certain it is the best round for a 9mm 1911, even a Wilson Combat. I'm not sure if the flat nose bullet profile and overall length makes it more susceptible to that kind of hang up. I'd consider giving some 115 or 124 grain ammunition with a more traditional round nose a try and see if the problems continue.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

I am sorry to report that my Colt 1991A1, tuned by a gunsmith less renowned than Wilson, is very picky as to ammo and magazines.
    Mine gets only rather pointed FMJ or plated from Tripp or CMC XP (now extinct since Wilson takeover of CMC) magazines. It is a very fine IDPA ESP but lacking confidence in hollowpoints, nothing I would use for duty or defense.

Blunt roundnose, flatpoint, truncated cone, and most JHP stub out against the barrel ramp as you show. Ogival hollowpoints like 9BP and plain vanilla RP will SEEM to do ok, but I have not shot enough to be confident. And why bother? I have a load that it does fine with at matches, I can use Something Else for serious social purposes.

My Springfields with integral ramp barrel are more forgiving, although it still took some work to convert the integral ramps into feed ramps. I assume Wilson knows how.
    This would be a very expensive addition to your Colt.

I think I would try some different magazines. The Metalform 9x9 "Front Ramp" works well in my guns, although reviews are spotty. The Metalform 9x.38 Super with round follower is a surprisingly good 9mm magazine.

Different ammo is worth testing. As above, I just found something that works in my Colt and have stuck with it.
    Last edited by Jim Watson; 09-09-2018 at 11:14 AM.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

User Tag List