Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Colt Combat Unit 9mm: Review and Initial Impression

I've yet to dip my toes into 9mm 1911 waters, but I've seen some respected 'smiths recommend ditching the dual spring setup for a 10 pound single spring.
    Don’t blame me. I didn’t vote for that dumb bastard.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    I've yet to dip my toes into 9mm 1911 waters, but I've seen some respected 'smiths recommend ditching the dual spring setup for a 10 pound single spring.
    It's probably sound advice for the 9mm guns. The dual springs work great in the .45s.

And for 9mm Commanders I would probably recommend a 12# spring.

I’m going to get a variety of recoil springs between 10-16 lbs and see if one does better with my heavier loads (I normally run 147 grain HST). I was just waiting to see if there was going to be some deals this weekend or see if I could combine it with other items to save a few bucks on shipping. I appreciate everyone’s feedback and suggestions. I’ll update the thread when I have more data points in a couple of weeks.
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

IMO, Bill Wilson and crew have put in considerable effort when it comes to 1911's, and their evolution. If Bill doesn't build and put dual recoil springs in govt model 9mm 1911's, there's a good chance he's tried and found something better. While nobody builds the perfect mousetrap, and every "1911" is different, the parts and pieces from Wilsons are a sound choice when it comes to reference and quality.

I'm thinking of sending it off to Wilson for some customization. Here is what I'm considering so far:
    1) Deluxe trigger job
    2) Custom fit beavertail safety (factory safety rattles like an Eastern Diamondback)
    3) Tighten slide to frame fit
    4) One piece magazine well
    5) Flush cut / reverse crown existing barrel
    6) Complete reliability package

I'm a little undecided on the barrel and finish and I welcome opinions. The factory match barrel seems excellent and I'd rather not swap it now unless there is a consensus that Wilson's barrel is significantly superior. The existing Ionbond finish is also pretty reasonable but it might need another finish after the work; let me know what you guys think.
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

The Colt barrels are VERY good. I would suggest fitting a new barrel bushing instead of a new barrel. A well-fit bushing will make the pistol more consistent, and that change is often the biggest bang for the buck. I have full-house guns from John Harrison where I used the Colt barrel that outshoot one of John's guns that I have with a Bar-Sto barrel. I much rather have a Colt barrel than a Wilson barrel, especially the newer 416R barrels. The older Wilson 17-4 PH barrels were pretty good. If I was to have a new barrel fit, it would be a Kart. Kart barrels are made from carbon steel, provide exceptional accuracy, and swell instead of bursting with a barrel obstruction.

I would not tighten the slide-to-frame fit as that is very little incremental improvement compared to a well fit barrel and barrel bushing. It also can cause a cracked slide.

I would avoid any changes that require a refinishing as IonBond is both a very good protective finish and an expensive finish.

Site Supporter
    I will be interested in hearing lessons learned on the 1911 9mm. I am having a failure to extract every 100 rounds or so. I have tried multiple extractors. I need to mark my mags and see if it is a specific mag. I also have a 1911 recoil spring calibration pack and I need to experiment there. I have a 12# spring now.

Something I have learned is that 9x19 1911s are always operating at the margin due to the shorter round with its lessened recoil impulse. This is especially true on the five-inch pistols. I was taught to select the recoil spring by where the gun was throwing empties rather than by a set spring rate. The goal is to have a recoil spring that puts the brass about four to five feet away, not dribbling out of the ejection port and not throwing them across the range.

As for extractors, if you have not done so, please check whether the extractor is clocking in the slide. If so, the firing pin stop may need to be swapped for one that more tightly fixes the rear of the extractor in place. Failures to extract are not usually magazine related; they usually are related to the extractor claw losing its grip on the case or rotating in the slide channel. I have also had the experience of having the wrong extractor (.45 in a 9x19) in the gun, but that is not likely the case. Other things to check are whether the cases slide cleanly from the chamber and if the ejector is moving from having a magazine strike it.

Site Supporter
    I agree 100% with the advice given by farscott. Colt barrels are excellent, so I personally would not swap that out. Plus slide to frame fit is not typically a factor in the accuracy of a 1911 so unless it simply bothers you there's not a lot to be gained from tightening it up.

One thing I've been experimenting with lately in my 9mm guns is the Wilson Combat flat wire recoil spring. I have them installed on two of my Colts and like them a lot so far.

With your CCU the reliability package is probably a good idea, though it's a shame the gun needs it.

Site Supporter
    Is the barrel exhibiting problems? My Colt Commander had a fairly terrible barrel with overcut lower lugs and a crappy bushing fit.

Ultimately I bought an Ed Brown and was happy.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

User Tag List