Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415

Thread: Colt Combat Unit 9mm: Review and Initial Impression

Quote Originally Posted by G19Fan View Post
    What are your favorite 9mm 1911 commanders? Both normal price and say les baer prices range.

I don't know anything about 1911s besides shooting them but am tempted by a 9mm commander
    I own two Tisas Commanders, a Stingray and a Tank Commander both in 9mm. My son also owns two. I've worked on all four of them, tweaking for performance. But, they've all been solid shooters right out of the box. I've chronicled this in the ongoing Tisas thread. They aren't perfect, but niether are any of the other off-the-rack brands. If wrenching may be required, I don't see the point in paying Colt/Springfield money for the privilege.

Typically, I've been a big fan of Dan Wesson pistols and long desired a Vigil Commander, but that one's out of production. All of my DW's are also Pre-pandemic shutdown/CZ-Colt merger. So, I don't feel I can give a strong thumbs up right now. As far as production brands that's the lions share of my experience. Owned one Kimber years ago: lipstick on a pig. I didn't care for Rugers parts fitment when they got into the 1911 biz, but I've been told they've improved. I've always avoided 1911s with external extractors, so I've just viewed companies like S&W and Sig from afar. Rock Island is pretty solid for a budget gun, but Tisas has stolen a lot of their thunder with what I feel is a superior product. I still think Colt and Springfield are solid overall, but the value for money prospect is no longer in their favor.

I just see too many issues anymore with Wilson Combat to pay their freight. Les Baer is an asshole and I've never liked his philosophy of forcing the paying customer to be the last step in the fitting process. Nighthawk's nice. Ed Brown's pretty decent and I like what I see coming out of Alchemy Custom Weaponry these days. Their guys on GoobTube could use a class in interpersonal communication, but the product's nice.

Honestly, if Dan Wesson can't do it for me on the upper end of production, at this point I'd be more likely to skip the boutique shops and go full bespoke custom with someone like Jason Burton at Heirloom Precision. IMHO, the cost of the mid-range brands have risen to the point past diminishing returns.
    Last edited by Trooper224; 04-01-2024 at 08:21 AM.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    I own two Tisas Commanders, a Stingray and a Tank Commander both in 9mm. My son also owns two. I've worked on all four of them, tweaking for performance. But, they've all been solid shooters right out of the box. I've chronicled this in the ongoing Tisas thread. They aren't perfect, but niether are any of the other off-the-rack brands. If wrenching may be required, I don't see the point in paying Colt/Springfield money for the privilege.

Typically, I've been a big fan of Dan Wesson pistols and long desired a Vigil Commander, but that one's out of production. All of my DW's are also Pre-pandemic shutdown/CZ-Colt merger. So, I don't feel I can give a strong thumbs up right now. As far as production brands that's the lions share of my experience. Owned one Kimber years ago: lipstick on a pig. I didn't care for Rugers parts fitment when they got into the 1911 biz, but I've been told they've improved. I've always avoided 1911s with external extractors, so I've just viewed companies like S&W and Sig from afar. Rock Island is pretty solid for a budget gun, but Tisas has stolen a lot of their thunder with what I feel is a superior product. I still think Colt and Springfield are solid overall, but the value for money prospect is no longer in their favor.

I just see too many issues anymore with Wilson Combat to pay their freight. Les Baer is an asshole and I've never liked his philosophy of forcing the paying customer to be the last step in the fitting process. Nighthawk's nice. Ed Brown's pretty decent and I like what I see coming out of Alchemy Custom Weaponry these days. Their guys on GoobTube could use a class in interpersonal communication, but the product's nice.

Honestly, if Dan Wesson can't do it for me on the upper end of production, at this point I'd be more likely to skip the boutique shops and go full bespoke custom with someone like Jason Burton at Heirloom Precision. IMHO, the cost of the mid-range brands have risen to the point past diminishing returns.
    Thank you been thinking of a tisa tank commander and I think you have swayed me into one next month!

Thank you been thinking of a tisa tank commander and I think you have swayed me into one next month!
    It's a good, solid classic 1911 pattern, and a great base gun for a build.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Site Supporter
    What are your favorite 9mm 1911 commanders? Both normal price and say les baer prices range.

I don't know anything about 1911s besides shooting them but am tempted by a 9mm commander
    If you can get into that price range I'd suggest the Wilson Combat ACP Commander 9mm. I currently own the full-size model and it has been running great.

One thing to note is that with their 9mm 1911s Wilson supplies a second recoil spring with the gun. It comes with a lighter spring installed, the second (heavier) spring is to be installed after the break-in period. I just recently installed the heavier of the springs in my full-size and I like it better with the heavier spring.

I also own a full-size and Commander in 45ACP and I've had no problems with any of the guns. Based on my own personal experience with recently produced guns from Wilson their quality is still pretty good. Others may be seeing other things of course.

User Tag List