Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: RFI: .44 Mag lever gun

I have an older Rossi. I bought it used about 20 years ago to shoot in cowboy action. It has functioned fine with all ammo I have tried. 1 box of .44 mag and a bunch of .44 Special handloads. My load with Unique and a 240 grain semi wadcutter is very inaccurate. It shoots my light load of 200 RN flat point with 6 grains of Unique good enough for cowboy.

I have the .44 Rossi, purchased new about 5 years ago, functioning has been fine with magnum length cartridges, accuracy with my Semi-Jacketed 240gr and 240gr hard cast loads is what I would consider average and comparable to my .45LC and .357 lever guns (Uberti's and Winchesters). Some guys I know have had feed problems with some .44 special length cartridges jumping the feed rails so if I load some .44 special cases for the gun I load a slightly longer OAL. Stevzguns.com makes a metal follower for the mag tube and a plug to replace the ridiculous bolt safety. https://store.stevesgunz.com/index.p...ol2auo8gv7l367

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    There's also the Chiappa. I've handled one of their stainless .44RM models in a local shop and it seemed surprisingly decent. Haven't done any more research on them, though. As long as it's possible to have a non-Scout-mounted scope, I'll stick to a side-eject, like older Marlins.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by walker2713 View Post
    Neat! Would love to see a photo?

Thanks,

George

“There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post

Beautiful! Thanks for posting.
    Gun Free Zones Aren’t an Inhibition….they’re an Invitation.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post

How difficult was it to mount those sights?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Sherman A. House DDS View Post
    Easy!
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by Sherman A. House DDS View Post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Assuming you have an angle eject Winchester, which are already drilled and tapped for sights, you take out the plug screws, and screw the sights on with a bit of loctite.

The only way it can really go awry is if the plug screws are corroded onto the gun, in which case a little penetrating oil and a bunch of patience are called for.

If the gun ISN'T drilled and tapped for scope mounts, you either need to get it drilled and tapped, or pick a different receiver sight that will screw onto the holes on the side of the receiver.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

One of the local pistol matches I shoot has a Texas Star they use for a side match after the main match. Today was pistol caliber carbine day, so I shot my .44 Rossi with my hand load of 200 grain LFN with 6.2 of Unique. The guys with 9mm AR's with dot sights beat me, but I made sure they had to work for it. I think the winning time was 3.91 seconds and I kept my times in the 5's. Fun.

My 11 year old Grand Son wanted to shoot it. Now it is his favorite rifle and he wanted to know if he could have it when he gets older. He said it doesn't kick much more than a .22.

User Tag List