Thread: Comparing a couple AIWB holsters

Comparing a couple AIWB holsters

I recently purchased a AIWB holster that I received this week from Smoky Mountain Concealment (SMC) for my TP9V2. I also received a different holster from JM Custom Kydex (JMCK) for a Beretta Px4 Storm Compact. SMC does not currently offer a holster for the Px4 Storm, and JMCK does not offer a holster for the Canik. So, they are not exactly direct competitors at this time. I though some may be interested in seeing some differences in how two different manufacturers execute the same concept.

Here you can see the skin side of the two holsters. The SMC in green on the left has much more defined and blocky lines that the holster from JMCK. This may be partly due to different manufacturing processes being used, attention to detail or philosophy on aesthetics, or melting lines for carry comfort. Also, to be fair the TP9V2 has more angular lines and the Storm is more curved with softer lines to begin with. Whatever the reason, there are definitely differences. Both holsters use indentations in the trigger guard area to provide retention, but you can see the indentation on the SMC holster looks more design inspired and executed while the JMCK holster employs a simple yet function round dimple. You can also see that the JMCK has a neoprene pad on the back held in place by velcro to allow for adjustment to apply pressure and cushioning while carrying. This pressure at the muzzle end of the holster pushes the grip into the body a bit more to reduce printing while carrying concealed. SMC offers a neoprene wedge which I have not installed yet. The SMC came with a full length sweat guard for the slide. I ordered the JMCK with a half sweat guard.

The belt loop side of the holster shows a couple different types of loops which are available. The JMCK was ordered with rigid loops, and the SMC has soft rubber coated canvas loops with pull the dot snaps which can only be undone by pulling them from the top. After seeing and wearing both. I'm probably buying more of the soft loops with the pull the dots. These make putting the holster on or taking it off much easier. Both companies have various rigid or soft loops available. The SMC holster has a claw installed which places pressure on the inside of the belt to rotate the grip of the gun inward toward the body to reduce printing. JMCK also offers a claw type holster.

Another variation is how the holster is closed on the trigger guard side. The JMCK is adjustable for tesnion/retention level.

The SMC holster is closed off and is not adjustable for tension. Speaking with Shane at SMC, he indicated that he finds adjustable tension holsters feel spongy, and less precise or sure of locking the pistol in place. So here we have a design philosophy difference.

Both holsters have ample room for front sight clearance.

Closer views of the belt loops.

Each of the pistols naked for size comparison.

Last edited by SSGN_Doc; 06-25-2017 at 05:19 PM.

Here are a few pics of the holsters being worn. First the Px4 in the JMCK AIWB.

This will give you an idea of ride height and position under the shirt.

The TP9V2 in the SMC AIWB.

Again an idea of ride height. You can see that the claw does rotate the grip inward a bit.

Glad to see Shane getting some press.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Great photos and review!!! Thanks for posting...
    Gun Free Zones Aren’t an Inhibition….they’re an Invitation.

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    Glad to see Shane getting some press.
    I know he is fairly new to the market and his selection of pistol models available is a bit on the lean side right now. I've had a couple of Caniks for a couple of years now which have run flawlessly. The DA/SA TP9V2 is as close as I've been able to get my hands on to a Walther P99AS for now. (at least at I price I will pay). He is one of a few holster manufacturers who makes Canick AIWB holsters at all. I found this holster on a special and bought it. He contacted me that day to let me know he had missed getting to the post office before they closed. I still had the holster in 5 days. Since I knew there was going to be a delay, I asked him if I could adda Mag carrier to my order. He discounted me the shipping and included it with my holster and threw in a different belt loop attachment to try for the inconvenience. So, I was impressed with his customer service and communications with me. Since this holster is built a little long I contacted him and asked what I could do to shorten it without messing it up. He offered to let me send it back and he could do the work for me, or he also explained how I could do it myself with band saw and tabletop belt sander. Again, won some points from me in continuing the communication and offering to customize the holster for me.

I think he deserves some exposure. But if we make him too busy, who knows if i will still get the kind of attention I got on this purchase. But that doesn't change how I got treated so far, and that is all I can really speak to. I'm considering buying some additional holsters for a couple of my Glocks. Possibly an OWB and competition rig. I've dropped some hints to him that he should consider some molds for Px4s and Sigs, along with some CZs. We shall see.

Quote Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc View Post
    I know he is fairly new to the market and his selection of pistol models available is a bit on the lean side right now. I've had a couple of Caniks for a couple of years now which have run flawlessly. The DA/SA TP9V2 is as close as I've been able to get my hands on to a Walther P99AS for now. (at least at I price I will pay). He is one of a few holster manufacturers who makes Canick AIWB holsters at all. I found this holster on a special and bought it. He contacted me that day to let me know he had missed getting to the post office before they closed. I still had the holster in 5 days. Since I knew there was going to be a delay, I asked him if I could adda Mag carrier to my order. He discounted me the shipping and included it with my holster and threw in a different belt loop attachment to try for the inconvenience. So, I was impressed with his customer service and communications with me. Since this holster is built a little long I contacted him and asked what I could do to shorten it without messing it up. He offered to let me send it back and he could do the work for me, or he also explained how I could do it myself with band saw and tabletop belt sander. Again, won some points from me in continuing the communication and offering to customize the holster for me.

I think he deserves some exposure. But if we make him too busy, who knows if i will still get the kind of attention I got on this purchase. But that doesn't change how I got treated so far, and that is all I can really speak to. I'm considering buying some additional holsters for a couple of my Glocks. Possibly an OWB and competition rig. I've dropped some hints to him that he should consider some molds for Px4s and Sigs, along with some CZs. We shall see.
    I had pushed him to invest into the Canik, or rather find a niche and work the niche as a means to not just grow but with the investment into how he makes things grow in a means that's scalable for him without running into the typical holster maker woes. I do believe he does some other stuff, including Glocks. If not push him a bit.

Where'd you find out about him?
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    I had pushed him to invest into the Canik, or rather find a niche and work the niche as a means to not just grow but with the investment into how he makes things grow in a means that's scalable for him without running into the typical holster maker woes. I do believe he does some other stuff, including Glocks. If not push him a bit.

Where'd you find out about him?
    I've seen some Glock holsters at his site. I found out about him at Canik Fanatik forum. Figured I could find Canik specific stuff there and I was correct. He posts specials over ther in Tuesdays and Fridays. My holster was one of the Friday specials.

So how is the comfort in comparison of the two? I have found many quality holsters out their but none who have been able to reduce the "belt bulge" like the JMC does, at least for me. Thanks for posting the pics and the review.

Quote Originally Posted by Dismas316 View Post
    So how is the comfort in comparison of the two? I have found many quality holsters out their but none who have been able to reduce the "belt bulge" like the JMC does, at least for me. Thanks for posting the pics and the review.
    Right now I would say the JMCK is a bit more comfortable. I'm still working on adjusting the location of the neoprene pad for maximum comfort, by trying to direct pressure away from my inguinal ligament. But the JMC also is for a pistol with a slightly smaller foot print, and without the claw, it doesn't lever the belt outward as much.

The SMC is actually very close, but I have not installed the Velcro or neoprene on it yet to see if it helps make it more comfortable. The holster is a bit longer, and I think this may contribute a bit more to my being aware of it pressing at the muzzle end as it does seem to ride slightly higher. I know my developing belly doesn't help as it levers the holster inward at the muzzle. I may consider trying it without the claw once I get the Velcro and. Neoprene installed.

If you don't have a gut starting, both holsters are pretty comfortable though when I get them in that "just right position". I have to play with them a bit more to get them to stay in that spot.
    Last edited by SSGN_Doc; 06-27-2017 at 07:09 AM.

User Tag List