Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Original K-38 Grips

Original K-38 Grips

I recently picked up a 4 inch square butt K-38. From what I can gather the gun was made in 1952. The gun is in excellent shape but does not have its original wood grips I would like to get the proper wood grips for the gun but don't know where to look. Any help would be appreciated
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Are you looking for a set of Square Butt factory grips or period correct?
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeler View Post
    Are you looking for a set of Square Butt factory grips or period correct?
    I am looking for whatever grip would have been on the gun when it left S&W.Please forgive my ignorance but I am new to this.

Go over to the S&W forum and ask there. You will find the info you need and someone will point you to a source.

You want k frame square butt magnas with diamonds around the screw. Seen often on ebay or on the S&W Forum.
    Last edited by LtDave; 06-24-2017 at 09:32 PM.
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

Generally 4" k38s had diamond magna grips. GunBroker and eBay usually have some, expect to pay 150ish. It could have had target grips as well, but I don't know a way other than a factory letter to know which it shipped with.

Eta: ltdave beat me to it.
    Also, usually, to avoid buying factory grips for crazy prices, I'll haggle on the grips at pawn shops and the like. E.g. recently I picked up a model 17 for about 600, but it had monogrips. A 6" 19 next to it had target grips, so I put down 600 cash on the condition they swap the grips. Usually works for me.
    Last edited by scott; 06-24-2017 at 09:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LtDave View Post
    You want k frame square butt magnas with diamonds around the screw. Seen often on ebay or on the S&W Forum.
    Thanks, just grabbed a set of E-bay

stinx, looking at your picture of the K-38 it has target trigger and hammer and would have probably come with target grips.
    Billy

Gunsmith, M/C mechanic, Retired Army, NRA Life Member
    "When you have to shoot...Shoot don't talk" Tuco

Site Supporter
    If that one was made in the 1950s, somebody has done lots of changing to it. The red ramp, TH and TT are not period correct and the bluing looks a little bright for that time frame, too. What's the SN?
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Target trigger, target hammer, and what looks to me like a yellow front ramp (available on special order) imply target stocks as bushytale said. No way to know but a factory letter.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

User Tag List