Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Holmes Brass

Quote Originally Posted by holmes168 View Post
    Tested out the Win 231 today. Wasn’t thinking but used 4.1 grains for 115gr round nose. No issues- went through my PX4 easily enough.

Paging @GuanoLoco but thinking about working up more rounds with the Everglades 124gr RN. Using 4.4gr for 124gr RN should be about right, do I throw 50 or so rounds up next or since my testing batch was a bit off work less and make sure I’m good.

Definitely would like to get cranking on rounds today.
    I prefer 124’s, don’t mess with 115’s for minor power factor loads as that gets into trans-sonic range (115gr @ 1087 fps = 125 Power Factor). It seems contradictory, but you use slightly LESS powder as you increase bullet weight to maintain a consistent power factor.

No opinion on Win231 other that my one load workup posted top Doodie - I haven’t touched it since.

Be aware that you will get different loads using jacketed vs. lead/polymer coated/plated. I haven’t messed with jacketed pistol bullets in forever, strictly polymer coated these days.
    Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

Quote Originally Posted by GuanoLoco View Post
    I prefer 124’s, don’t mess with 115’s for minor power factor loads as that gets into trans-sonic range (115gr @ 1087 fps = 125 Power Factor). It seems contradictory, but you use slightly LESS powder as you increase bullet weight to maintain a consistent power factor.

No opinion on Win231 other that my one load workup posted top Doodie - I haven’t touched it since.

Be aware that you will get different loads using jacketed vs. lead/polymer coated/plated. I haven’t messed with jacketed pistol bullets in forever, strictly polymer coated these days.
    Thanks as always. I’ve still got to buy your recommend powder- just wanted to go thru the 231. Bought the Everglades on sale for Fathers Day.
    What bullets are you using these days? I thought I read Acme but don’t remember exactly.

Edit- I’ve not bought one, but how important is a chrono to you for reloading?
    Last edited by holmes168; 06-30-2018 at 04:07 PM.
    This country needs an enema- Blues approved sig line

I shoot ACME 124’s - they have a pretty sweet bulk pricing deal.

Chrono is critical to me as I do a lot of load workups. Some of it is to test out new copmponents, to save $ or improve performance somehow. Part of it is the joy of doing it efficiently and well. I have an illuminated chrono + bullet trap within walking distance of my press, so working up a new load is easy.
    Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

Reloading press used (list modifications if relevant)installed: Dillon 650
    Caliber: 9mm
    Bullet (Weight, Coating, Profile, Manufacturer): Everglades 124gr RN Plated Bullets
    Powder manufacturer, type and charge; volume, type (ball, stick, flake): 4.2gr WIN 231
    Dies used: Dillon
    Primers used: CCI Small Pistol 500
    Cartridge Overall Length (COAL): 1.15
    Chronograph data (if possible): None- send recommendations!
    Goals intended with this load: Use up WIN 231 bought over a year ago and kept in garage so I can buy CSB-1 M
    Results - accuracy, smokiness, clean burning, flash, temperature, smell, brass deformation, etc.: Nothing definitive yet- shot my first 25 rounds out of my new P-07 today with zero issues
    Problems encountered and fixes applied: None.
    Anything of interest: I started a topic a few weeks ago on powder and primer storage. I have kept the WIN 231 and the CCI primers in my Texas garage for over a year. There were no issues with firing them off today. Think this load is a winner- but time will tell. Wish I had a chronograph.

Put 196 rounds of the above 124gr Everglades reloads through the P07 this morning. Zero issues- this seems to be a winner. Off to Cabela's tomorrow- need 1,000 more primers before my first bulk buy online.

User Tag List