Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Holmes Brass

Holmes Brass

Reloading press used (list modifications if relevant)installed: Dillon 650
    Caliber: 9mm
    Bullet (Weight, Coating, Profile, Manufacturer): Berry's 115gr RN .356
    Powder manufacturer, type and charge; volume, type (ball, stick, flake): 6.2gr Hodgon HS-6
    Dies used: Dillon
    Primers used: CCI Small Pistol 500
    Cartridge Overall Length (COAL): 1.13
    Chronograph data (if possible): #PoorFag (LL is not the only one)
    Goals intended with this load: I have progressively increased my volume looking to ensure I have at least one solid combination that is not going to blow up in my hand. This will be the final test- 200 rounds. So far- I have shot 120 rounds out of
    VP9 or VP9SK with zero issues
    Results - accuracy, smokiness, clean burning, flash, temperature, smell, brass deformation, etc.:
    Problems encountered and fixes applied: None.
    Anything of interest: Will update in a couple of weeks.

Went ahead and shot all 200 rounds tonight after deciding to do some live fire work. All rounds fired out of VP9 and VP9SK. A bit smokey but no issues firing.

After a couple weeks of sorting through brass- I loaded 200 rounds today. I had to run to Cabela's to get overpriced Berry 115 RN, but I need to finish off my HS-6 and then work up a load with Winchester 231.
    The bullets cost $24.99 plus corn cob media/polisher for a total cost of $44.36. Still 50 bullets to load- but my overall cost in 2018 for reloading is... $0.22 a round. Thankfully- I have about 500 primers and one pound of the 231 from last year- so my cost will go down. Saving up for a big buy next month or maybe in August.

Reloading press used (list modifications if relevant)installed: Dillon 650
    Caliber: 9mm
    Bullet (Weight, Coating, Profile, Manufacturer): Berry's 115gr RN .356
    Powder manufacturer, type and charge; volume, type (ball, stick, flake): 6.2gr Hodgon HS-6
    Dies used: Dillon
    Primers used: CCI Small Pistol 500
    Cartridge Overall Length (COAL): 1.13
    Chronograph data (if possible): #PoorFag (LL is not the only one)
    Goals intended with this load: Finish off my HS-6 powder
    Results - accuracy, smokiness, clean burning, flash, temperature, smell, brass deformation, etc.:
    Problems encountered and fixes applied: None.
    Anything of interest: Will update in a couple of weeks.
    This country needs an enema- Blues approved sig line

Win 231: Meh. I assessed, I moved on.

http://www.doodieproject.com/index.p...ders/?p=156400
    Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

Site Supporter
    You may determine that HS6 is better suited to hotter jacketed bullet loads than with loads suitable for the plated but soft Berry bullets. For these I predict that you will prefer 231.

The 231 was the second powder I bought and I was limited to Bass Pro at that moment.
    Thankfully- I’ve found a few better places to learn about reloading since then.

Finished the HS-6 off last night (loaded around 65 rounds) and cleaned out any remaining powder and primers from the 650.
    I know in an earlier thread- I asked about the storage of powder and primers and keeping them in my garage (in Texas). Yesterday at the range- all the rounds loaded the previous week went off- so that should help answer my question. I have one pound of the 231 (or is it WST) that has been sitting in the garage for a couple years- so let's see how it rolls. I need to get more bullets and as of 07:30 on Father's Day- think I will be ordering 1,000 of the RMR 124gr bullets. I would like to get a bit cheaper with some of the Blue Bullets or Bayou Bullets- but need to double check my range guidelines. Not sure I can shoot them there- it would be nice since that would lower the price.

Did some major online shopping last night- putting together a nerdy excel spreadsheet to track price comparisons. I hate to admit but the local Cabela's prices seem to be inline when ordering a certain level of powders/primers.

Right now- I am thinking of going with Titegroup (holds head down in shame) and the RMR bullets. I want to try GuanoLoco's powder recommendation- but am rationalizing using Titegroup b/c its well known....stupid Matt and thinking too much. My main concern is the process of working up a load- when I just discovered that Dillon case lube is really sticky. There is some definite inexperience at my level.

Quote Originally Posted by holmes168 View Post
    Finished the HS-6 off last night (loaded around 65 rounds) and cleaned out any remaining powder and primers from the 650.
    I know in an earlier thread- I asked about the storage of powder and primers and keeping them in my garage (in Texas). Yesterday at the range- all the rounds loaded the previous week went off- so that should help answer my question. I have one pound of the 231 (or is it WST) that has been sitting in the garage for a couple years- so let's see how it rolls. I need to get more bullets and as of 07:30 on Father's Day- think I will be ordering 1,000 of the RMR 124gr bullets. I would like to get a bit cheaper with some of the Blue Bullets or Bayou Bullets- but need to double check my range guidelines. Not sure I can shoot them there- it would be nice since that would lower the price.

Did some major online shopping last night- putting together a nerdy excel spreadsheet to track price comparisons. I hate to admit but the local Cabela's prices seem to be inline when ordering a certain level of powders/primers.

Right now- I am thinking of going with Titegroup (holds head down in shame) and the RMR bullets. I want to try GuanoLoco's powder recommendation- but am rationalizing using Titegroup b/c its well known....stupid Matt and thinking too much. My main concern is the process of working up a load- when I just discovered that Dillon case lube is really sticky. There is some definite inexperience at my level.
    CSM-1/CSB-1M is easy to work with and in the ballpark of TiteGroup burn rate wise. Proceed with confidence. I can even give you a load if you need one for 124 or 135gr bullets.

CSB-5/CSB-6 I would not recommend.

My buddy was shooting TiteGroup yesterday. I was running the timer for him and glad there was a breeze. At one point I joked: You do know there is this new invention called SMOKELESS powder, right? Right???

Polymer or powder coated bullets can be treated like lead bullets from a range perspective. Range may need education.

Start thinking about ordering components in larger quantities for pricing discounts. Better yet find your local competition shooters, make friends, and start participating in group buys. Think longer term.
    Last edited by GuanoLoco; 06-17-2018 at 09:24 AM.
    Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

Site Supporter
    I use WSF for 9mm - plated, jacketed, and coated - usually with 124s but also 147s. Shot a LOT of Bayou 124s with WSF for practice/competition load. During the last great powder shortage, I picked up whatever I could find so I have other powders to try but always go back to WSF. I picked up some TiteGroup on sale but I specifically use it with jacketed bullets and not the coated bullets due to smoke (burns off the coating?).

231/HP38 used to be THE powder for USPSA 45 "back in the day" - I have used a lot of that powder in the past but have zero on hand. Now use Clays for 45.

Buying components. When I was shooting a lot of competition and way before the internet was invented, several of my buddies use to buy in volume - split up powder, primers, etc. among ourselves and sold extras at the events. Now - I order projectiles in bulk from Bayou or a few other sources; I buy my powder from a LGS with good prices and how gives me a .mil discount or Cabelas. I joined the Cabelas loyalty type program, got their credit card and I get $10 or $20 off type coupons regularly plus I build up other rebates - I buy my primers (usually S&B) and some of my powder from Cabelas using the coupons and credits. If you watch MIDWAY and others sometimes they waive the HAZMAT and then ordering may be better.

I tend to use "shotgun" powders for pistol loads. If there is a shotgun club nearby, they typically order clay targets regularly and when they have the targets delivered the club members often get powder, primers, and shot on same truck to save shipping. I use to get shotgun and pistol reloading supplies that way.

I keep enough reloading supplies on hand to keep me through at least one election cycle.

Quote Originally Posted by GuanoLoco View Post
    CSM-1/CSB-1M is easy to work with and in the ballpark of TiteGroup burn rate wise. Proceed with confidence. I can even give you a load if you need one for 124 or 135gr bullets.
    Let's see- 1 pound equals 7,000 grains. 10 pounds of CSM-1 = 70,000 grains. 70,000 grains divided by 5 grains per round = 14,000 rounds. Not that I am overanalyzing.... .
    I am going to take and really appreciate your recommendation and should be good on powder for the rest of the year.

Thanks again for the help. I have found your comments here and on another forum that you may or may not be a member of very educational.

Matt

User Tag List