Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Speer Lawman Vs. Blazer Brass

Site Supporter
    Agreed. I train with 147gr Lawman. Feels just like my carry ammo.

Lawman is our usual PD practice fodder. It's good – certainly better than much of the feeble crap that passes for 9mm practice ammo – but it doesn't really approximate carry ammo in 124+P flavor (standard pressure 124 or 147 is probably a lot closer).

Out of a G17, 124 Lawman usually runs right around 1100 for me, whereas 124+P Gold Dot consistently hits 1250+, and prints around 2" lower for me at 25 yards than Lawman. (Fortunately, the Gold Dot is hitting POA, while Lawman goes a little high.)

For comparison, multiple lots of Winchester NATO 124 have averaged 1170-1180 in my guns.

I'm content using Lawman for most of my training, but I tend to begin and end each session with a mag of either Gold Dot or NATO. There is a noticeable, but not dramatic difference in recoil.
    Last edited by Joe Mac; 06-25-2017 at 03:13 AM.

I've been running the 147 load as practice fodder for my Berettas. POI is pretty much right on (then again, I suck) for my meager skills
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Speer Lawman 147gr out of the X-Carry looks like it runs about 50fps slower than 147gr HST out of similar length barrels according to the limited data I have here. Lawman 125gr .357SIG was a full 100fps slower out of my Glock 32 than the Win 125gr Ranger I fired at the same range session.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by hufnagel View Post
    So which flavor(s) would people recommend, from experience please, with Beretta 92 and H&K P30. There seems to be several different part numbers under the same grain.
    I thought there were only two: clean fire or not. I've used the non-clean 53620 in my 92, but only a case of it.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Banned
    holding the head of Perseus in my support hand
    Quote Originally Posted by hufnagel View Post
    So which flavor(s) would people recommend, from experience please, with Beretta 92 and H&K P30. There seems to be several different part numbers under the same grain.
    My berettas all seem to like lawman 115. It chronoed at exactly 1200 average out of a full-size LTT, for me earlier this year, power factor 138, at a state match. All 5 rounds were within a few fps. I’ve fired many thousands of rounds of it and like it a lot.
    Last edited by Medusa; 10-21-2019 at 12:45 AM.

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapid Butterfly View Post
    My berettas all seem to like lawman 115. It chronoed at exactly 1200 average out of a full-size LTT, for me earlier this year, power factor 138, at a state match. All 5 rounds were within a few fps. I’ve fired many thousands of rounds of it and like it a lot.
    That's interesting because the 115 Lawman was the only ammo to choke my LTT in its fist thousand rounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc_Glock View Post
    That's interesting because the 115 Lawman was the only ammo to choke my LTT in its fist thousand rounds.
    When I got my G19 back from Glock, (frame replacement), Blazer was the only ammo to cause malfunctions in it. Never an issue with any other ammo...Win, S&B, Lawman, Federal, etc etc

I suppose it's possible I had a bad box...but it was very off-putting.
    Last edited by blues; 10-21-2019 at 11:18 AM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Banned
    holding the head of Perseus in my support hand
    I’ve tried blazer 147 and found it dirty and inconsistent. I still have a few hundred rounds of it I need to dispose of. I won’t be using blazer again. I don’t view it as much like lawman, quality wise, at all.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    My experience suggests Lawman is equivalent power and accuracy to duty ammo, but loaded with ball at lower cost. Blazer brass is economy ammo and substantially less accurate for me.
    My understanding is that is the point of the Lawman line - to give organizations a training round that will have the same recoil impulse as their duty load does.

Lawman is probably my favorite training load, but usually I go for the cheaper options as I don't feel the need for 100% of the impulse as that important to me.

I have also shot a great deal of Blazer Brass ammo. One thing I have noticed about it, versus other budget loads, is that it is not clean to the point where there is some of the powder that forms a grit. When I practice my retention drills at 1 yard, I notice quite a bit of "peppering" around the bullet hole in addition to the little swirl around the hole. Lawman, as well as most other training loads are much cleaner.

User Tag List