Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suppressing 40 S&W do it or stick to 9mm

Suppressing 40 S&W do it or stick to 9mm

Does anyone suppress the 40 S&W?

I see people talk about the 9mm and 45 acp but not really anything else.

I keep thinking of getting a 9mm can but with 4 Glocks in 40, I know silencerco has a threaded barrel for the Glock 23.

Just thinking, of replacing the hybrid on my 9mm carbines and going with a dedicated 9mm can for it but also looking for something light.

I have 2 1911s, Glocks 22, 35, and 23x2, and a P2000 that could go suppressed but most of my shooting is 9mm.

Site Supporter
    Unless someone is giving you free .40, no.

If you just had to suppress .40 I would buy .45 can or a hybrid can rather than a dedicated .40 can.

Anyone here regularly shoot suppressed centerfire pistol?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

So you have multiple guns and are considering going one way? How about the tax stamp and going with the oil filter suppressor? Not as small, lightweight or probably as easy to sight in, but would give you the option to put a different one on, to shoot, if that is what your looking for.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by beenalongtime View Post
    So you have multiple guns and are considering going one way? How about the tax stamp and going with the oil filter suppressor? Not as small, lightweight or probably as easy to sight in, but would give you the option to put a different one on, to shoot, if that is what your looking for.
    Once you tax stamp one of these the original oil filter becomes part of the NFA item just like disposable wipes in certain type of suppressors. The oil filter crap (and other things) is what BATF recently reversed its position regarding disposable / replaceable wipes:

http://www.titleii.com/bardwell/atf_letter66.txt

This reversed a position BATF had held since 1999.

From DeadAir:

Last week, we were notified by the BATFE that they consider the accessory aperture wipe on our Ghost 45M suppressor to be a “silencer” part. We presented them with the Bardwell ATF opinion letter (http://www.titleii.com/bardwell/atf_letter66.txt)* that is commonly used as justification for the use of wipes and replacement of wipes in silencers by their owners. This morning, we were informally notified that the BATFE FTB does not share the opinion of the Bardwell letter regarding wipes not being silencer parts, and asked that we take immediate corrective action. As such we are immediately discontinuing the sale of accessory wipes for that product. The aperture wipe for the Ghost has always been an optional use item. We have consciously decided NOT to pursue the issue with FTB, as the resulting opinion letter, based on the informal notification to us, may have a potential negative impact on ALL owners of suppressors that utilize wipes in the design.

Moving forward we are conducting research on a wipe constructed of a more durable material, that will be included with the Ghost 45M. Extra or additional wipes will not be available for sale. Other options and clarifications are being sought as well.

Dead Air has developed and will release a new linear compensator product for handguns and submachineguns that will lead to cross compatibility with some Ghost accessories, including pistons, fixed mounts and caliber specific caps.

We appreciate the support of our customer, dealers and wholesalers, and will continue to bring innovative, quality products to the market. If there are any questions regarding this issue or any questions about our products, please contact us at info@deadairsilencers.com,
    Thank You

Gary Hughes
    Director of Sales
    Dead Air Silencers
    Last edited by HCM; 06-24-2017 at 01:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Anyone here regularly shoot suppressed centerfire pistol?
    Not anymore, but there was a time when it was fairly regular. Some military units had suppressed Glock .40s for a time. I'm not sure what they ended up settling on, but it was far from optimal.

My suppressed pistol was a Hk45C.
    You can get much more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.

My favorite can is my AAC Ti-Rant 9. When I first purchased it, I would occasionally mount it on a Glock 17 or 19 for fun, but the novelty soon wore off. Once I purchased the three lug adapter for it, it went onto my MP5 clone and it pretty much lives there. It's nice to have the option to mount the Ti-Rant back on a pistol though if the desire arises. My few cans essentially stay on long arms.
    Last edited by JSGlock34; 06-24-2017 at 02:36 PM.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Quote Originally Posted by Sean M View Post
    Not anymore, but there was a time when it was fairly regular. Some military units had suppressed Glock .40s for a time. I'm not sure what they ended up settling on, but it was far from optimal.

My suppressed pistol was a Hk45C.
    Leaving aside your past professional use, any thoughts about what to do with a suppressed centerfire pistol? I get the .22 use, but am struggling to see the centerfire handgun use. However, if someone can come up with a good reason, I better order some adapters.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Leaving aside your past professional use, any thoughts about what to do with a suppressed centerfire pistol? I get the .22 use, but am struggling to see the centerfire handgun use. However, if someone can come up with a good reason, I better order some adapters.
    Home defense with less noise?

I don't see a non-offensive use for a suppressed pistol. Most pistols with enough ass to hunt with don't suppress well. In a defensive role, I fail to see any advantage over a properly equipped pistol and light. The argument of "to protect your hearing" doesn't hold nearly the water the people who say it thinks it does...... if you wear ear pro for mowing the lawn, or while using powers tools, do not ever use headphones, don't listen to music above normal voice conversation levels, and never attend a sporting event, then you have an argument. Even a magazine fired without ear pro doesn't cause the same damage that's done over time by poor industrial hygiene as it pertains to hearing protection.

I have suppressors that work with pistols because I can. They all also have a use on a variety of rifles. But on a pistol it's nothing more than a toy. Except.......you just never know when sentry removal will become necessary.........
    Last edited by Odin Bravo One; 06-24-2017 at 06:22 PM.
    You can get much more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.

User Tag List