Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Two grails

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    Awesome! I would absolutely be into a book of the fighting revolver by Darryl Bolke...

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    I'd buy the shit out of that book, and another copy for my best friend.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gruntjim View Post
    I'd buy the shit out of that book, and another copy for my best friend.
    ^^^^^ This.

Sent from my NSA-approved tracking device using Tapatalk
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Been following this thread https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....-(M-amp-P-340) a bit and it made me realize that I never got to read that article on the
    "J-Frame Lifestyle"
    Last edited by UNK; 06-23-2017 at 08:31 PM.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

I always get excited to see DB throw up a new wheel gun thread. If he does a book I'll need two copies because the first one will have all the pages stuck together.

Awesome, I was just thinking about that .44 the other day while talking about the new Ruger. I've never talked to anyone who had one! I have an ASP M59 that I've found to be cool in concept but pretty unsatisfactory as a pistol, but that Ruger was ahead of it's time.

Name:  IMG_2184.jpg
Views: 779
Size:  54.8 KB

I really need to find some cool grips for the ASP .44 Spl.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Two grails

Beautiful revolver pics !

I'd be very interested in a police fighting revolvers book too. I'd also like to learn more about police revolver training and tactics from 'back in the day'. This is knowledge that seems to be lost to many people today, even trainers. I was in a class for getting a Utah carry permit a few years back, and the young instructor was unaware that revolver cylinder rotation direction varied among manufacturers. He'd spent all his time with Glocks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by SamAdams; 06-24-2017 at 07:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SamAdams View Post
    Beautiful revolver pics !

I'd be very interested in a police fighting revolvers book too. I'd also like to learn more about police revolver training and tactics from 'back in the day'. This is knowledge that seems to be lost to many people today, even trainers. I was in a class for getting a Utah carry permit a few years back, and the young instructor was unaware that revolver cylinder rotation direction varied among manufacturers. He'd spent all his time with Glocks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    That is why we do our Revolver around up every year.....to keep the art alive. There is a lot to be learned from when we worked with limited capacity guns where accuracy and deliberateness were essential for winning fights.

I just added several posts to the Farrant grip subject that some may find interesting as far as LE Revolver history goes.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.

Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Jed View Post
    I am pretty sure I am not alone in wanting to learn more about double action revolver history and their use by real gunfighters. I think you can expect a lot of demand for that book or articles. Heck, I'd buy a book solely for the photos and details you've already posted about LAPD revolvers.

I never knew SIS & SWAT/Metro at one time carried 6 inch 38's. I wonder what the attraction was to the long barrel. Was it improved accuracy due to the longer sight radius? Increased velocity? Dual purpose impact device?
    The Model 68 was an individual purchase and not issued. With that said a bunch of the SWAT/Metro guys carried them when not in SWAT missions where the used 1911's. John Helms had a 68 in SIS for times when it was not a 1911 authorized case. His also had the SIS logo.

Larry Mudgett made one post on a forum about the 68. I ll see if I can post it here.

Explanation from Larry Mudgett-

Many but not all of our serious shooters carried a 6 inch model 19 or model 28 or 27 for years. We were only allowed to use the issue .38 special round nose lead at that time. Several Officers were known to pull the 200 grain round nose lead .38 cases and re load them to magnum pressure. I was getting about 1,100 FPS with the blunt 200 grain bullet in a six inch revolver. After Chief Ed Davis discovered this practice he ended the carrying of .357 Magnum revolvers. This is a long story but very interesting. Most serious shooters switched back to the six inch K38 which had been popular for years. With the six inch K38 I was able to hand load the 200 grain bullet to about 875 FPS. Six inch revolvers were issued until approximately 1968 when the department started issuing the model 15. We loaded our K38s with the hottest ammo that was authorized which was so hot that my partner bent the frame on his. Our advanced combat course (bonus course) required fast accuracy (5 by 4 inch target) at 25 yards with either hand it was widely believed the six inch gun had the advantage. The six inch barrel also helped to keep the pistol on target during recoil for very fast accuracy at closer ranges. Most of us who carried the six inch also used a clam shell holster which was very fast regardless of barrel length. The model 68 gave us the strength of a magnum but without the name. I bought two and carried them until we made the switch to auto pistols. I gave one to each of two my sons. Did not know that I was going to have another son in my retirement or I would have purchased three of them. Larry Mudgett

User Tag List