Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Two grails

Two grails

Got two of my absolute grail guns that I badly needed for my collection of American fighting Revolvers.

First, a LAPD Model 68. These were basically a 6" Model 66 with a .38 Spl. Cylinder and sold through the LA Police Revolver club. They were what many of the real gunfighters at LAPD carried just prior to transition to auto pistols. Many of the SWAT/Metro and SIS guys used them after they were neutered (SA function removed) and tuned by LAPD's expert armorers. I now have representative revolvers with correct stocks from LA/SoCal from the depression era to the auto transition.....including a Shield class academy gun (legendary class of 1940), all the seasons of ADAM 12 with Farrant stocks, SIS marked Revolver set, and now the Model 68. Should make a great display at this point if I ever get to on each of the Smith collector shows.

The other is an ASP .44 special conversion on a Ruger Speed Six. Very few of these were made in the 80's. I have had a couple of ASP model 39's that sucked and were traded or sold off. I have coveted the revolver version since it graced the cover of Combat Handguns in the 80's. In all my years of searching, I had never seen one in person. I lost a gun broker auction on this one awhile ago, but finally worked a trade into it. Had I got one in the 80's....I would have carried the piss out of it. Amazingly neat gun.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

A speed 6 in 44 spl. Would be nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Dagga Boy View Post
    Got two of my absolute grail guns that I badly needed for my collection of American fighting Revolvers.

First, a LAPD Model 68. These were basically a 6" Model 66 with a .38 Spl. Cylinder and sold through the LA Police Revolver club. They were what many of the real gunfighters at LAPD carried just prior to transition to auto pistols. Many of the SWAT/Metro and SIS guys used them after they were neutered (SA function removed) and tuned by LAPD's expert armorers. I now have representative revolvers with correct stocks from LA/SoCal from the depression era to the auto transition.....including a Shield class academy gun (legendary class of 1940), all the seasons of ADAM 12 with Farrant stocks, SIS marked Revolver set, and now the Model 68. Should make a great display at this point if I ever get to on each of the Smith collector shows.

The other is an ASP .44 special conversion on a Ruger Speed Six. Very few of these were made in the 80's. I have had a couple of ASP model 39's that sucked and were traded or sold off. I have coveted the revolver version since it graced the cover of Combat Handguns in the 80's. In all my years of searching, I had never seen one in person. I lost a gun broker auction on this one awhile ago, but finally worked a trade into it. Had I got one in the 80's....I would have carried the piss out of it. Amazingly neat gun.
    Who out there could do a 44 spl in a speed 6?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Bill

The Ruger Security and Speed Six wheel guns seem to have better lines than the current offerings such as GP100 etc. In fact I recall having a few Ruger Speed 6 guns in the USN arms locker if I am not mistaken during the 80s.

Beautiful!

Site Supporter

DB is back! And, picking up right where he left off - sharing pictures of some truly legendary artillery. Thanks, once again. I know you were asked this before, but if you replied, I missed it. Do you have any plans to put together a collection of photos - of everything - that we could access? Also, it is my opinion (I'm sure I'm not the only one) - that if you were able to do it, a published version would sell very well. I know I'd buy it!

werd. DB posts are a needed thing here.
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

I now have representative revolvers with correct stocks from LA/SoCal from the depression era to the auto transition.....including a Shield class academy gun (legendary class of 1940), all the seasons of ADAM 12 with Farrant stocks, SIS marked Revolver set, and now the Model 68. Should make a great display at this point if I ever get to on each of the Smith collector shows.
    I bought LAV's 1911 book and I'd pay the same for one with your revolvers. Just sayin. Failing that, how about an LAPD revolver thread?

Congrats on both and thanks for posting the history. I didn't know there were ASP revolvers.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

I am dipping my toe back in gently here. Life has been much better minus Internet forums and associated drama. We ll see if it lasts.

With that said. The plan is for a book. Working through some major life changes at home. When that is done, I plan on devoting some serious effort into a book on American Fighting Revolvers. The other option is with some digital media that has reached out to me that may involve small single articles on certain guns or series of them.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

So, the Speed Six conversion in .44 Special would hold 5 in the cylinder?
    Last edited by warpedcamshaft; 06-23-2017 at 10:41 AM.

User Tag List