Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: VP9 dead trigger due to impact issue (split from Personal SIG 320 Journey thread)

Quote Originally Posted by EVP View Post
    Wonder if other fully cocked striker guns would experience this.

Don't they have to pass drop testing?
    I had a similar thing happen with a single Walther Q5, when I was very aggressive seating the magazine on a slide forward reload. Other Q5 pistols are not doing it for me.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by Enel View Post
    No. I sold the gun. It is a feature I have duplicated the test on several other VP9s.
    Interesting. I must be doing it wrong. Just put a good sized dent in my bedside table with the butt of my most accessible VP9 trying to get the striker to drop. No joy for me. I guess I'll grab a BFH from the garage tomorrow and see if there is some special magic from a mallet hit that does it.
    Last edited by Talionis; 06-23-2017 at 12:25 AM.
    TY83544

I know this is super hillbilly and not a legit test, but it is what it is. I detail stripped my VP9 and did some light polishing and basically just seeing how she worked and smoothing a couple rough edges. I was worried about the fully tenstioned striker so after I put it back together I beat it against a tree as hard as I could on the butt/Magwell. I'm talking flying bark, beat the snot out of it. Never dropped the striker.
    i used to wannabe

In the first video,the pistol is held by the slide from the forward end. In the latter,its held in the grip.

It strikes me as important because holstered ,the VP9 would be retained by a holster,probably supported in the fashion of Video 1. The $64,000 question is will the gun do this in a holster if the grip is bashed against the concrete ,say in a hands on fight situation.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

has anyone contacted HK about this and gotten a response?
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

I saw a vid, they guy will drop a Glock and it will chamber a round............soooo

I tried this with a few samples of VP9's. I couldn't replicate this either. Tried it on a desk, rubber mallet and held in different positions. I was not able to replicate the effects of the striker dropping on any of my test samples. I used a very early VP and a few newer production guns and all seemed to pass.

Not a concern at all for me, but now I have a fun science test to do with my handgun when I have some free time.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

Took me three tries and I got this to happen on mine (BF date code, sold as an LE model). Very interesting. Just set the striker and gave it a moderate (but firm) whack on my kitchen counter....dead trigger. I agree with others that in theory at least this shouldn't lead to a discharge, as the striker block should still be in place, but this is without question something that is important to be aware of.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    Took me three tries and I got this to happen on mine (BF date code, sold as an LE model). Very interesting. Just set the striker and gave it a moderate (but firm) whack on my kitchen counter....dead trigger. I agree with others that in theory at least this shouldn't lead to a discharge, as the striker block should still be in place, but this is without question something that is important to be aware of.
    Ultimately none of us can escape Bad Luck.

I'm reminded of a wild LE story some years back. An officer armed with a thigh holstered P226 in a Safariland ALS stacked up to serve a warrant when the bad guy started shooting through the open door. Officer drew his Sig and pointed an empty frame at an armed and dangerous suspect . Fortunately his partners were on the ball ,so he survived the event.

Turned out one of the rounds the thug fired hit the holster in exactly the right place to trip the P226's takedown lever in place without its owner knowing.Thus the slide stayed in the holster.

We pays our money and takes our chances.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

User Tag List