Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: VP9 dead trigger due to impact issue (split from Personal SIG 320 Journey thread)

I do not have a VP9, but I do have a S&W M&P, which (early samples) also suffered from a "dead trigger" issue. The S&W issue happened during live fire when the sear spring was not strong enough, and the gun cycled from firing a live round and essentially de-cocked itself. I wonder if the OP is seeing something similar, where the catch (compression) spring that presses the sear upward is weak(ened) due to wear/debris/tolerance stacking/something. With the spring force lessened due to some reason, a strike to the grip frame is allowing the catch spring to release. I also wonder if there is a service schedule for the catch spring.

Reminds me of this

Name:  IMG_2093.jpg
Views: 680
Size:  51.4 KB

Maybe they were on to something

Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    I do not have a VP9, but I do have a S&W M&P, which (early samples) also suffered from a "dead trigger" issue. The S&W issue happened during live fire when the sear spring was not strong enough, and the gun cycled from firing a live round and essentially de-cocked itself. I wonder if the OP is seeing something similar, where the catch (compression) spring that presses the sear upward is weak(ened) due to wear/debris/tolerance stacking/something. With the spring force lessened due to some reason, a strike to the grip frame is allowing the catch spring to release. I also wonder if there is a service schedule for the catch spring.

I'd guess I'm still under 5k rounds through my VP9 and I was able to replicate the issue. Also, the compression spring under my catch feels quite stout. My VP9 has shot flawlessly and I have no intention of parting with it over this "problem." I would also bet money that since I know how to duplicate the issue, I could make pretty much any VP9 do it even new OOB. And probably other fully-tensioned striker fired guns as well, so long as they release the striker by the catch being pressed straight down from their resting position. It's almost like a parlor trick, it just takes knowing how to hold it for minimal support and maximum movement of the rear of the gun on impact, and how to hit it to essentially move the entire gun with the striker firmly ensconced in the slide very quickly in relation to the temporarily (as in instantaneously) stationary catch. I strongly doubt falling and striking the butt of a holstered weapon could cause it for reasons I outlined in my previous post (mass of the catch). However, potentially if the weapon's butt were struck very hard with some sort of club or bat while it was holstered, and depending on how firmly the holster was secured to the person wearing it, eh, maaaaaybe... but I'm not volunteering to have anybody swing a bat in my general direction, even if it is for science.

Quote Originally Posted by Enel View Post
    Hopefully this is my last post in this thread.

I went to the range today and borrowed the well used VP9 and a small nylon hammer.

Wack to bottom of grip without mag: striker dropped.

Wack to bottom of grip with magazine present: striker dropped. It seemed to take a firmer wack though.

Wack to bottom of grip with a couple dummy rounds and one chambered: striker dropped.

I was not allowed to shoot video so sorry about that. If I still owned a VP9 I would be happy to demonstrate.

To be clear, I think the VP9 is a fine pistol. I have no vendetta, but I don't think any modern pistol should drop its striker or hammer with rough handling.

I would love to hear HK's or possibly Bruce Gray's perspective on this anyone has any inroads with either.

You didn't mention how you were gripping the gun when you tested it. Were you holding the gun by the grip, was it in a holster, or were you holding it by the slide near the muzzle like in your original video?

Quote Originally Posted by Peally View Post
    I'm pretty pumped to pick up a few $300 VP9s in the classifieds over the next couple months.

Hell, I hardly shoot the one I've got, and I was able to duplicate OP's concern, but I'd probably have to pick up another one at $300 a whack!
    Last edited by Rick_ICT; 06-28-2017 at 12:19 AM.

Delta Busta Kappa fratboy Hot Sauce's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. No View Post
    Where in the world do you people come up with these obscure "problems"?? This is so far in the realm of "close to never ever happening" it's mystifying.

On a related note, I would recommend against anyone striking any handgun you own with a hammer.
    I used the bottom of the grip and the top of the slide of my Simunitions gun in ECQC to strike my opponent. So if this is really happening with people's guns, I'm not sure why you insist on calling this problem a "problem."
    Gaming will get you killed in the streets. Dueling will get you killed in the fields.
    -Alexander Hamilton

Vending Machine Operator
    Quote Originally Posted by Father of 3 View Post
    Reminds me of this

Name:  IMG_2093.jpg
Views: 680
Size:  51.4 KB

Maybe they were on to something
    Best post of the thread. Meta to the max.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Sauce View Post
    I used the bottom of the grip and the top of the slide of my Simunitions gun in ECQC to strike my opponent. So if this is really happening with people's guns, I'm not sure why you insist on calling this problem a "problem."
    The fact that you're using a pistol as an impact tool leads me to all sorts of other questions. Isn't Craig's sop to tap rack after someone else touches your gun anyway, which would completely negate this "issue"?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

My mom always asked, "If everybody else beat on their pistol with a hammer, would you do it too?"

So if your pistol takes a hit and the striker is no longer engaged, you tap/rack and drive on? Right?
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    My mom always asked, "If everybody else beat on their pistol with a hammer, would you do it too?"

So if your pistol takes a hit and the striker is no longer engaged, you tap/rack and drive on? Right?
    I thought you were supposed to immediately stop and go to the internet to warn others about the problem you encountered in that one in a million chance...?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I remember the bumper sticker, "Real trucks don't have sparkplugs."
    Thinking about getting some "Real guns don't have strikers." Who's in on the order?

Hammertime

VP9 dead trigger due to impact issue (split from Personal SIG 320 Journey thread)

Quote Originally Posted by Rick_ICT View Post
    You didn't mention how you were gripping the gun when you tested it. Were you holding the gun by the grip, was it in a holster, or were you holding it by the slide near the muzzle like in your original video?
    Unholstered, held like original video.
    Last edited by Doc_Glock; 06-28-2017 at 06:49 AM.

User Tag List