Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: VP9 dead trigger due to impact issue (split from Personal SIG 320 Journey thread)

Hammertime

VP9 dead trigger due to impact issue (split from Personal SIG 320 Journey thread)

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    VP9s seem to have very pleasant triggers and are pretty well priced to boot. If I was starting from scratch I would give them a very hard look.
    VP9s drop their striker when tapped on the bottom of the grip. That completely rules them out for me. Otherwise great guns.

Vending Machine Operator
    Quote Originally Posted by Enel View Post
    VP9s drop their striker when tapped on the bottom of the grip. That completely rules them out for me. Otherwise great guns.
    I was not aware of this. Can you elaborate?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    That's right - I recall you posting that video. Did you ever contact HK about that?

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    That's right - I recall you posting that video. Did you ever contact HK about that?
    No. I sold the gun. It is a feature I have duplicated the test on several other VP9s.

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by LockedBreech View Post
    I was not aware of this. Can you elaborate?

It works better with a nylon hammer, but it drops the striker every time. The gun would not go off due to the striker channel blocker, but the trigger is dead until the slide is run.

Vending Machine Operator

It works better with a nylon hammer, but it drops the striker every time. The gun would not go off due to the striker channel blocker, but the trigger is dead until the slide is run.
    I was ready to be skeptical and ask what the real-world applicability of this was, but wow, he really did not hit it very hard at all. I can see a slammed-in reload or adrenaline-fueled failure drill causing that.

I moved from the VP9 to G17G4 because in extensive dry firing I felt the VP9's striker release was too light/feathery and this seems to back that up a bit.

I was already going to sell the gun. Glad it's not a safety concern so I don't have to feel bad about it. Thanks for the info.
    Last edited by LockedBreech; 06-21-2017 at 02:58 PM.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

Wonder if other fully cocked striker guns would experience this.

Don't they have to pass drop testing?

Quote Originally Posted by EVP View Post
    Wonder if other fully cocked striker guns would experience this.

Don't they have to pass drop testing?
    That could still technically pass I think since the firing pin safety will prevent a discharge. Having to reset the trigger would suck, but I think you could still consider that drop safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mods,
    I don't want to hijack the thread, but felt compelled to show a differing opinion.

Enel,
    Granted I didn't use a mallet, but the top of a dresser. No dropped striker/no dead trigger. I don't want to get into a flame war, but maybe your VP9 has a defect?

Last edited by ADKilla; 06-22-2017 at 09:42 PM.

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by ADKilla View Post
    Mods,
    I don't want to hijack the thread, but felt compelled to show a differing opinion.

Enel,
    Granted I didn't use a mallet, but the top of a dresser. No dropped striker/no dead trigger. I don't want to get into a flame war, but maybe your VP9 has a defect?

I agree these posts should be split from this thread. No flames taken or intended. I am just reporting my experience.

The mallet test dropped the striker on two different VP9s. I could also get it to drop hitting the grip on a wood surface. If you look at the design, it is obvious why it happens.

My concern for a police officer carrying this pistol openly in a duty rig is that it could hit the ground in a struggle, then give him a dead trigger when needed most.

User Tag List