Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 816171819 LastLast

Thread: VP9 dead trigger due to impact issue (split from Personal SIG 320 Journey thread)

I’m reviving this very old thread to see if anyone’s noticed/thought/heard anything about this in the intervening few years. The VP9 seems like a great platform besides this issue.

Site Supporter
    I can replicate it on my VP9-OR pretty easily.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by consumer_ignorance View Post
    I’m reviving this very old thread to see if anyone’s noticed/thought/heard anything about this in the intervening few years. The VP9 seems like a great platform besides this issue.

I missed this until today, and was also curious if there were any updates. Specifically, GJM, you stated you had a VP9SK and would test it. This has particular relevance to me because the VP9SK has been my EDC for the last 3+ years. Has mine ever been dropped and was there an ND or a dead trigger? It has been dropped and I've had neither a dead trigger or an ND.
    "We are the domestic pets of a human zoo we call civilization."

Laurence Gonzales - "Deep Survival."

Quote Originally Posted by cornstalker View Post
    I called HK and talked to two different guys in the repair department. They said they had spoken with someone that conducted this test in the past. After it being brought to their attention they extensively tested some VP9's to see if they could induce the malfuction by drop testing it with a loaded magazine. They were not able to get the striker to drop. They also mentioned that the VP9 has been through several drop tests conducted by LE agencies and they are unaware of a single failure of any kind.

In short, if the only way to duplicate it is by hitting it with a mallet with no magazine in it, they are not concerned with trying to fix an issue that does not appear to have real-world application in their opinion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Naphtali View Post
    Is this true - "the only way to duplicate it is... with no magazine in it" ? Have people who successfully created this problem posted results of attempts done with a loaded mag?

If the problem happens only when the VP9 is cleared, then this poses no danger to the user and is not a problem at all. Loading / chambering would reset the trigger and make the loaded weapon subsequently immune to the issue.
    I don’t see that this question was ever answered. Do we know if anyone has been able to make the striker drop if there is an empty mag inserted? How about loaded mag with a round (dummy round, or live round if the tester is a dummy) in the chamber?

I divested myself of my VP40, but the reasons had nothing to do with the trigger-it was simply redundant once I got my Gen5 G23 (which went along with my Gen4 G22/G31) and rarely shot in the past few years. HK Tech Support had upgraded my trigger return with the newer bearing piece, and corrected a disassembly issue with it. I trusted the gun, and it was exceptionally accurate and reliable, but became part of the trade for my FN 49...No regrets, but I considered it a good gun.

Best, Jon
    Sponsored by Check-Mate Industries and BH Spring Solutions
    Certified Glock Armorer

Quote Originally Posted by Kanye Wyoming View Post
    I don’t see that this question was ever answered. Do we know if anyone has been able to make the striker drop if there is an empty mag inserted? How about loaded mag with a round (dummy round, or live round if the tester is a dummy) in the chamber?
    In all years that I've been following this subject peripherally, I saw one report of a person experiencing this in live fire. A competitor from a Baltic country posted on HKPRO, describing a striker drop after a reload.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Quote Originally Posted by jeep45238 View Post
    I can replicate it on my VP9-OR pretty easily.
    Recent production, or an older gun?
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

I’ve been carrying and beating the living hell out of a number of VP series pistols for four years straight and have yet to have a single malfunction of any sort, including two Gunsite classes, a bunch of other classes and training sessions, biweekly trips to the range and over 120 USPSA and Steel matches in that time frame. There were several hard falls right onto the holstered gun, countless induced malfunction drills in classes, lots of SHO work, moon dust in every crevice and a wide variety of ammo (no reloads or steel case though).

What I haven’t ever had is have anyone sneak up behind me on a cold range to whack the thing with a deadblow hammer. So, I guess it’s just a matter of time. Not losing any sleep over it, though.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    Recent production, or an older gun?
    Purchased new in 2020.

Quote Originally Posted by Archer1440 View Post
    What I haven’t ever had is have anyone sneak up behind me on a cold range to whack the thing with a deadblow hammer. So, I guess it’s just a matter of time. Not losing any sleep over it, though.
    USPSA CM 25-01 coming soon to a range near you. Table start, loaded gun, muzzle downrange. RO uses one (1) regulation dead-blow hammer to whack the shooter's pistol. Whack is specified in 12.5.1 in newton-meters. Shooter must clear any hammer-induced malfunction before engaging targets.

User Tag List