Thread: The JMCK IWB 3 for S&W 66

The JMCK IWB 3 for S&W 66

My thoughts after using the holster for a month. I am sold. Will probably order some more JMCK holsters for other guns in the future. Full version of the review is on my blog, this version is abbreviated to cut out some of the back story.

Link to Blog Post

Out of the Box

When I pulled the holster out of the packaging, I was impressed. The build quality was excellent, the holster had very clean lines, nicely polished edges, and just gave off that vibe that “this dude knows how to build a holster”. The holster has Pull the Dot snaps and loops, secured to the holster on a ridge to help clear the belt and top of the pants for carrying IWB. Built into the holster is a cool little tuck feature over the trigger guard area of the revolver that helps to tuck the butt of the gun into the side of the body. There are two tension adjustment points, one just in front of where the trigger guard would be, and the other just in front of the crane/front of the frame. The holster is made using the least amount of kydex possible which reduces the bulk and footprint of the holster. For a gun as large as a .357 K-frame, that makes a difference in how comfortable the holster is and how easy it is to carry. Even though my older S&W 66 is a true 4” gun, the holster would also fit the recently released S&W 66’s with the 4.25” barrel. That is good for guys running the newer guns, but does add an extra ¼” to the overall length of the holster that I don’t really need. When running an IWB at a traditional 3-4 o’clock position on the belt. The extra length with a significant amount of cant, that extra ¼” can sometimes be an issue, but is specific to this model of firearm, and I would imagine could have been addressed if I would have thought to mention it. The holster has a discernible click when the gun is fully seated into the holster, which is nice. The tension was a bit loose for my taste, but a couple twist on the tension screws and all was right in the world. Out of the box, I was very impressed with the quality of the holster.

A Month Later

I am a month into running this holster, and have used it every day of that month. I have worn this holster for more than a couple 16 hour days, long hours in a vehicle, ran it in an IDPA match, ran it in practice on the range, used it to teach a class or two, chased my kids around the backyard with it on, worn it with a suit and tie, and worn it with jeans and a t-shirt. To be honest, it has worked better than I expected. The tuck feature built into the holster actually works amazingly well. I was afraid that the added width would be problematic, but it really hasn’t been as big of an issue as I expected it to be. On occasion, depending on what type of clothing I am wearing and how I twist my body, the PDS loops print a little through my shirt, but the rest of the gun is invisible. The holster has remained secure on the belt under all conditions, and the grip stays consistently in the same place regardless of activity level. That is a key performance issue because if I ever need to draw the handgun, if the grip of the revolver is stable and always in the same place, I am more likely to have a consistent draw.

One of the challenges associated with revolver holsters is all the protrusions, namely the cylinder itself. If the holster is not formed just right, these protrusions can cause discomfort when the holster is worn for longer periods of time. This holster does not have any really sharp edges or corners. There is a protrusion where the cylinder is, but those edges are soft and nicely contoured. I have not had any comfort issues with this holster, even when worn for very long days.

The IWB 3 does ride really low, and there is not a method for adjustment of ride height. With the way the holster is cut, combined with the low ride height, the rear sight of the revolver sits just at or below the top of the belt and is not contained within the holster. So far that hasn’t been an issue, but if the belt rolls over the top edge of the holster it may make it more difficult to reholster. Personally, I like a holster that rides low, so no big deal as far as I am concerned and I have not noted any specific issues associated with the ride height. Some people may prefer the holster to ride higher though, and there is not a method to adjust the ride height that I am aware of.

Name:  IMG_2204.jpg
Views: 546
Size:  63.6 KB

Name:  IMG_2203.jpg
Views: 523
Size:  50.6 KB

I have also noted that the top of the holster presses against the rear sight blade. I suppose the rear sight should be robust enough that having a little pressure applied to it will not push it off zero, but it does make me a little nervous. It is however an easy end user adjustment to fix, I just haven’t yet because I wanted to test the holster in its factory configuration.

I had heard before I ordered this holster that JMCK puts out a good product, but a good kydex revolver holster can be a tough nut to crack. A revolver, especially a duty sized revolver, is a big gun with all the funky contours and curves that come with a revolver, and there is a decent amount of heft on top of that. The quality of the holster in both build and design has to be top notch to make the gun comfortable to carry, easy to conceal, and easily accessible. At the end of it all, I think for a concealable revolver holster, this is about as good as they come.

Site Supporter
    I have one of these with fixed belt loop for a 6" barrel Model 68. It hides a six inch K-frame under a shirt just fine.

I guess I need to email him. I wonder if the same holster that would fit my 3" 65 would fit my 4" 586

After hanging out with Tom Givens considerably and seeing how he runs both wheelguns and pistols, I hit up Tony to make me a pair of #3's with a heavy cant for my M64 4" and my 681 4". Oddly, I don't have good luck with Milt Sparks, "Summer Special," type rigs...they all look very obvious on me, but these two rigs are some of the best concealing rigs I have, and they are NOT small guns.

Highly recommend the JMCK IWB #3, "Tom Givens," style.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

167, thanks for the AWESOME! review. We are glad you like the holster. We love making revolver holsters, the wheelguns are always a blast to mess with and enjoy shooting them! Thanks for the info on the design as well, glad to hear about specific attributes from the customer they enjoy or would have changed, all good info for us to make it better!
    sales@jmcustomkydex.com

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Givens View Post
    I have one of these with fixed belt loop for a 6" barrel Model 68. It hides a six inch K-frame under a shirt just fine.
    Tom, that's awesome! Also, thank you for the signed copy of your new book!! You are the man!
    sales@jmcustomkydex.com

Quote Originally Posted by camsdaddy View Post
    I guess I need to email him. I wonder if the same holster that would fit my 3" 65 would fit my 4" 586
    camsdaddy, the 65 is a K frame, the 586 is an L frame, they are not compatible holster wise.

Thanks
    sales@jmcustomkydex.com

Quote Originally Posted by Sherman A. House DDS View Post

After hanging out with Tom Givens considerably and seeing how he runs both wheelguns and pistols, I hit up Tony to make me a pair of #3's with a heavy cant for my M64 4" and my 681 4". Oddly, I don't have good luck with Milt Sparks, "Summer Special," type rigs...they all look very obvious on me, but these two rigs are some of the best concealing rigs I have, and they are NOT small guns.

Highly recommend the JMCK IWB #3, "Tom Givens," style.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sherman, thanks for the kudo's. Happy you can pack those big ole revolvers around!!
    sales@jmcustomkydex.com

User Tag List