Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Looky what I scored today

Quick update...

I spent some time on the LCT and then remounted the LNL. I've been able to dial the press in pretty well and I solved the problem of powder spilling during indexing by slightly backing out the knobs that lock the shell plate into place during index. That reduces how firmly the plate locks into place just enough to prevent powder from popping up and out.

With that fixed I believe I've accounted for most of the niggling issues that might either reduce the joy of using the press or slow down production. It's a welcome change to have to pull the handle only once per round - more than I would have expected. My rate of production is currently a bit faster than on my LCT as I'm still taking my time and developing the necessary repeatable motions of loading brass, seat bullet, pull handle, seat primer, repeat.

Enjoying the press more and more...

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by ER_STL View Post
    Quick update...

I spent some time on the LCT and then remounted the LNL. I've been able to dial the press in pretty well and I solved the problem of powder spilling during indexing by slightly backing out the knobs that lock the shell plate into place during index. That reduces how firmly the plate locks into place just enough to prevent powder from popping up and out.

With that fixed I believe I've accounted for most of the niggling issues that might either reduce the joy of using the press or slow down production. It's a welcome change to have to pull the handle only once per round - more than I would have expected. My rate of production is currently a bit faster than on my LCT as I'm still taking my time and developing the necessary repeatable motions of loading brass, seat bullet, pull handle, seat primer, repeat.

Enjoying the press more and more...
    There's something to be said for listening to a 15 minute podcast and having a full 100rd mtm box by the time it's done...

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I wanted to provide another quick update for the LNL. I believe I now have all of the various issues resolved with the press and it's running smoothly now. It has turned out to be a great find.

I dealt with and resolved the following:

• Spilled powder. Short cases like the 9mm allow for powder to pop up and out when the shell plate snaps into place. This is resolved by slightly backing out the bearings in the plate that lock it into place. The press still indexes properly but each rotation is now buffered just enough to avoid tossing powder.
    • Decapping issues. It turns out that the RCBS decapping pin and CCI small pistol primers fit perfectly together such that the spent primers will cling to the RCBS pin with enough friction to allow for the primer to be drawn back up into the brass! This leads to the press hanging up and the need to vigorously wiggle the case back and forth enough to free the partially lodged primer. The good folks at RCBS were aware of this and they sent me a replacement decapping rod and pin that is somewhat spring-loaded, if you will. Since installing that I've had zero issues.
    • Shaved bullets. That was due to seating and crimping on a single die with coated bullets, and was resolved simply by separating the two into different stations. The powder-check die with 9mm is largely unneeded - to me anyway - since I can see down into the case to visually verify a charge before seating.

Another quick shout-out to both Hornady and RCBS. Both companies have been great with which to work.

Site Supporter
    At the risk of saying the obvious, let me point out that primer residue from decapping is the main source of gunk that eventually interferes with function. A vacuum cleaner is a most helpful tool for maintaining essential tidiness. About dies. Many have discovered that mixing dies from among different brands helps resolve issues. I do not imply that we should buy extra die sets for this purpose. In my case, I've bought many dies super dirt cheap from estate sales and various forum sources. Hence I have a large assortment of tools for experimentation. Steel(not carbide)die sets or the sizers sold alone are examples of good deals. About powder measures. I have found the Lee Auto Disk measure to be a most versatile alternative that works exactly as advertised. Price permits having one or several set up for different calibers or in the case of pet loads, having more than one set up for different loads within the same caliber. Each measure would be installed on a separate die for drop in convenience. Yes, this is an indulgence but not terribly so.
    About adjusting progressive presses. One experimenter has suggested this tactic for precisely adjusting alignment of shell plates with dies: using at least two sizing dies of the same caliber, install them. Then place empties under them in a shell plate with loosened adjusting screws. Raise the shell plate to force empties into dies. Then tighten adjusting screws. What is accomplished is precise alignment.

Having studied the subject, I'm convinced that unless a man is willing to adjust and tweak from time to time, then he might reconsider buying a progressive. About 30 years ago I bought a Lee progressive which defeated me. In a fit of rage I beat it flat with a sledge hammer. I would have assaulted its inventor had we come face to face. And I'm mild mannered by nature. So be willing to endure some frustration. The great news is that today things are better, and success is more easily achieved. My advice is to keep on hand a supply of small parts most likely to wear out or break. Why bug the manufacturer and then have to wait? Also, consider decapping as a separate operation carried out on a single stage press or using the Frankfort Arsenal Tool. Doing so will make life simpler.

Site Supporter
    I found that snapping indexing pawls is a real thing...

Overall though, I have been impressed with the LNL and really just should have bought it instead of going Single-->turret-->progressive but hey. I was in college and couldn't afford it until I had my big kid job.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

In the past, I admit I have become extraordinarily frustrated while doing a few reloading tasks, to the point of becoming quite emotional on a few of those occations.

This:
    Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    In a fit of rage I beat it flat with a sledge hammer.
    Makes me feel vastly better about my personal level of restraint...

LMAO!!!!!
    Last edited by mmc45414; 06-15-2018 at 05:00 PM.

User Tag List