Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Looky what I scored today

I have one of these. Maybe I should set it up....now that my wife will not have anything to do with her family I don't have to try and solve problems when she asks "what do you think". It's stressful because I say the truth, how about you just stop living on welfare so you don't have to be sitting on your ass getting fat....
    Last edited by ffhounddog; 06-25-2017 at 01:20 AM.

So with an ironic sense of timing, the small pistol safety priming system decided to crap the bed this morning as I loaded what may be the last 100 rounds through it. My wife thinks it saw the LnL box sitting next to it and stopped functioning in a jealous fit of rage. Being the engineering mind that I am, I decided to take the priming system apart to see if an obvious part was loose only to realize that I didn’t bother paying attention to what went where in order to reassemble it. I got to enjoy hand-priming about half of the rounds as a reward.

I was up in the air as to whether or not I should keep the LCT mounted on the bench for other-than-9mm calibers but truth be told, I haven’t loading anything else in years. As a result, I’ve decided to box it up to make room for the LnL.

Name:  LCT.jpg
Views: 426
Size:  29.9 KB

I gave it a quick hug and tore it down. My loading bench has turned somewhat into a collector of random gun parts and accessories so the next step was to toss anything unneeded and wipe it down.

Name:  loadingTable.jpg
Views: 412
Size:  44.7 KB

Next up: mounting the new press when I have a few minutes.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
    If you're happy with your Lee dies, they should work fine with the Hornady press. Mine's got RCBS dies in it. (I had them before I got the press.) That said, I like the lock ring on my Hornady Powder Cop die so much better than the RCBS lock rings that I kind of wish all of my dies were Hornady just for that reason. Also, the Hornady powder measure is quite nice; no reason not to use it.
    Trust me...it's is for the best that all your dies are not Hornady dies...

I've found them to be unduly sticky...the Lee Dies have worked well for me in my lnl...if kinda short.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Press mounted. It's a beast compared to the little workhorse LCT.

Name:  LnL.jpg
Views: 372
Size:  27.1 KB

It uses only two bolts rather than three, which I preferred. I'll need to run a few rounds through it to see if I notice any stability issues. Like I did with the LCT, I stuck a 2x4 on the underside of the mounting surface to add some additional wood between the press and the tightening bolts to help distribute some of the stresses that it puts on the bench.

I may end up steering away from Hornady's dies due to the varied feedback I've received on them. I believe Gander Mountain also had high-end RCBS dies which I may end up buying if they're still there the next time I go back. In the meantime I'll use my Lee dies and powder hopper.

Speaking of the hopper, I had recently picked up Lee's newer drum version once the older disc-hopper I had originally bought for the LCT starting throwing charges inconsistently. While I only have about 500-600 throws through it, I like it considerably more. It doesn't spill powder and it has an overall more stable feel to it. That being said, it's obvious that when you put it next to Hornady's powder hopper that it doesn't quite have the same level of build and quality. I can't say that it will/would function and better/worse over the long run as I haven't run them side-by-side but Hornady certainly appears to be a step-up. I would suppose that's expected given that the LCT and it's accessories fills a niche below the big progressive presses, and it appears to do it nicely.

Next up: putting everything else together.

Site Supporter
    I highly suggest avoiding Hornady dies...I'm looking at getting some RCBS dies but I think I'll wait to hear your feedback...

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    Trust me...it's is for the best that all your dies are not Hornady dies...

I've found them to be unduly sticky...the Lee Dies have worked well for me in my lnl...if kinda short.
    Interesting. Apart from disliking their lock rings, I've been quite happy with the RCBS dies. I guess there are pluses and minuses to all of the options.

Quote Originally Posted by Irelander View Post
    Likewise were I am. They have factory Glock 19 mags for $42! I almost laughed out loud.

They had a big banner "GOING OUT OF BUSINESS SALE" with other signs that said "UP TO 20% OFF!". Wow 20%.
    Yeah, their list prices on mags suck. $40 per for Walther P99/PPQ M1 mags? No thanks. At 50% off, though, they were $20, so I snagged one and told myself that when they hit $15, I'd pick up the rest and resell the ones I don't "need" on eBay or the Walther forum. Apparently somebody else beat me to it when the price finally dropped again. Oh well, at least I got one at a decent price. Just keep checking back periodically - they'll get to a bigger discount eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by ER_STL View Post
    Speaking of the hopper... it's obvious that when you put it next to Hornady's powder hopper that it doesn't quite have the same level of build and quality
    I even bought the Hornady for use with my Dillon presses, and I like it a great deal. IMO a cylindrical cavity that adjusts in length that is in alignment with the head pressure of the powder just makes more sense than a trapezoid (?) that adjusts in width. No actual testing data to support my "feelings" that it is better or that the Dillon will not do the same thing, but I just used it to drop H335 and every time I checked it was right on the tenth.
    Last edited by mmc45414; 06-27-2017 at 09:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ER_STL View Post

Speaking of the hopper, I had recently picked up Lee's newer drum version once the older disc-hopper I had originally bought for the LCT starting throwing charges inconsistently. While I only have about 500-600 throws through it, I like it considerably more. It doesn't spill powder and it has an overall more stable feel to it. That being said, it's obvious that when you put it next to Hornady's powder hopper that it doesn't quite have the same level of build and quality. I can't say that it will/would function and better/worse over the long run as I haven't run them side-by-side but Hornady certainly appears to be a step-up. I would suppose that's expected given that the LCT and it's accessories fills a niche below the big progressive presses, and it appears to do it nicely.

Next up: putting everything else together.
    I have the Hornady and the new Lee drum unit, and find the Lee to be more consistent with the powders that I use. The Hornady is definitely built better but it should be for almost double the price. The Lee should hold up just fine as it is a good design.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Alrighty, so I swung by Gander Mountain on the way back from lunch today and grabbed an RCBS die-set. My plan is to give them a whirl with the Hornady hopper and if all is well, sell the LCT and everything with it. If for some reason the Hornady hopper and/or the RCBS dies demonstrate themselves to be finicky I'll give the Lee stuff a whirl.

Great feedback so far...

Site Supporter
    Great find. Even with a 650 I would have bought one. If nothing else to buy the new swaging set-up and run 223 brass through it. It would also be nice to have a press with decent speed that would be a bit cheaper to convert. Set it up for 45 colt and 38 special that I load for my Dad. Much faster than single stage that I'm doing now.

User Tag List