Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Passion of the Gun: Pizza Guns Are Calling My Name!

Passion of the Gun: Pizza Guns Are Calling My Name!

I have been pretty dedicated to Glocks for the last couple of years and have taken several local training classes with them. I am no tier one shooter but I feel confident in my "combat accuracy" and ability to get hits on target. However, after reading 'The Passion of the Gun' and with all of the Beretta love circulating around here lately, I really have been considering letting go of one of my G17s (I have a Gen3 and a Gen4 along with a Gen4 34; I much prefer the texture and ergos of the Gen4) and giving the DA/SA Pizza gun a go.

I currently have two potential trade offers on the table and I am really trying to resist as in my heart I know I should stick to my Glock 17's. Money is tight and training/classes anytime in the foreseeable future is virtually nonexistent. This makes me trepidatious about getting a new platform and not being able to adequately train with it.

I am also aware that with both options I have before me, the sights options are limited to are what comes on the gun. (One is a 92 compact two-tone with a rail and 6 mags; the other is a M9A1 with 9 mags and holster).

Given this possible dichotomy, what other considerations might I need to consider? I feel like I need to see a shrink over this, cuz dammit I just want one, but again money is tight.

Site Supporter
    You won't have to manually cycle the slide for dry fire practice if you get a Beretta. To me, the CZ more closely resembles the Glock. In dry fire, I can switch between the Glock and CZ and the natural point of aim seems pretty interchangeable. For the Beretta, I need a little time to recalibrate. Regardless, if you think getting the Beretta will keep your interest high, then it's hard to argue against it. I like the fact that I have a 92, but honestly every time I buy a non-Glock pistol, after the initial excitement of the purchase wears off, I feel a little bit of a let down.

Site Supporter
    Money is tight, but you want to try a different gun, and you basically have three copies of the same gun. Trading off the one you like least seems a reasonable choice. If you run it for a few months and say, "meh," you can sell it and go to a training class. Or if you love it and want it to be yours forever and carry and compete with it, you can sell one of the other plastic fantastics and go to a training class. Or you can just sell the 3rd Gen and go to a training class.

Sounds like you have lots of choices.

Would trading for a Beretta motivate you to hit the range more? You said money is tight...the obviously prudent thing would be to sell the Gen 3 17 and buy 2,000 rounds of 9mm ammo and hit the range with your remaining 17 and 34. There's nothing wrong with swapping platforms, as I've done the same thing you're contemplating (Glocks to Berettas). I'm happy I did but I spent a *lot* on holsters, spare magazines and spare parts. Was it worth it to me? Yeah. Would I do it again? Yeah. Do I still own Glocks? A few but they're mostly for my wife to shoot (No, really; I've let a few go the past week!)

Of those options I would take the M9A1, order a Wilson rear battlesight, a Wilson 14# hammer spring and a factory Beretta extended magazine release. Paint the front sight dot orange and you would have a very sweet blaster on your hands for not a ton of money. If you're feeling fancy update the grips down the road. Also recommend the 18 round Mec-Gar mags if you go this route.
    Last edited by MSparks909; 06-21-2017 at 11:11 PM.
    Shoot more, post less...

^What MSparks said. And even if you don't decide to switch over entirely learning the DA/SA trigger will not hurt, and likely help your Glock shooting.

And instead of the Wilson hammer spring I'd do the D-spring/TRS/steel trigger combo from BUSA along with their extended mag release. Consider the G conversion too.
    "Customer is very particular" -- SIG Sauer

I vote for rent a Beretta at a local range a couple times to get your fix. Save your money until you can buy one without trading any guns in. I've regretted every gun I've ever sold or traded in.

This is a tough thing to post as a Beretta fan,but objectively you should pass on this deal. Moneys tight,and there's no getting around the reality that the DA/SA trigger involves a training "tax". If a Beretta is to be your primary gun it has to be your focus for however long it takes you to get comfortable with DA -and you have to shoot it as well if not better then single action,because that's the first shot you get out of the holster.

You also have to get comfy decocking the gun,and for many this is an ergonomic deal breaker. If reaching the slide safety is difficult or uncomfortable ,you won't be happy at a 1,000 round class.
    Last edited by GardoneVT; 06-22-2017 at 01:21 AM.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

I say go for it, that m9a1 would be a sweet blaster. You're getting a holster and enough mags with it to have a good start so that's not an issue. If you don't have a snap cap get one and dry fire with the beretta for free to your hearts content.

If money is tight then trading a gun is a loss in value. Wait until you have the cash. Connect with a local buddy who has an M9 and will let you run it.

If I were in your shoes I would wait. I'm not saying don't get a Beretta, I'm just saying not yet. I'm actually really wanting to break into Berettas as well, but like you money is tight.

There is also the fact that sometime, Ernest Langdon's 92 will be coming out. Imagine an M9A1 that you could change the sights out on, and it just happens to have a boatload of other features that one of the worlds top Beretta shooters thinks are important. I'm betting on 2018 at this point, but when it comes out you're going to want one. So maybe hold out and get a better gun that's coming. Your finances might change between now and then as well.

-Cory

User Tag List