Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Which 22 LR bolt gun for 100 yards?

Quote Originally Posted by $teve View Post
    Browning made a Model 52. It can still be found online NIB for $200. If you want a bolt action .22 that will shoot tight groups this is it.
    There are several on Gunbroker with a reserve. Buy now is $1295.

Very true, I believe the rifles in that price range are the safe queens, they had been produced by "MIROKU" of Japan. Have a Winchester from 1995, it is super sweet. Not sure when but Browning made a run of less expensive 52's, they sell in the range of $200+. These are not safe queens but for a cheap bolt .22 not bad at all. Moving up in price $350+ I would look at C-Z. $500.+ Anschutz. I have to stop now because I've been wanting a Buckmark .22, rifle for ever, and hanging out here is wearing me down.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Nesbitt View Post
    There are several on Gunbroker with a reserve. Buy now is $1295.

Quote Originally Posted by jeep45238 View Post
    Years ago I took the bolt from my 10/22 and radiused the back of it where the hammer cams, until the thing would run on subsonic ammo. Combined with the standard trigger pack work, factory springs, and a 20 inch Green Mountain barrel with Tech Sights, the thing blasts clothes pins at 50 yards without any problem. 200 yard head shots are boring once you know the drop for the ammo. All work is done with a basic USGI sling, and will do 2MOA with the cheapest stuff you can find. It also runs, and runs, and runs, despite no maintenence.

The MOA gets larger the longer the distance - wind messes with it badly. 40 grains going a fraction of the speed of a 55 grain .223 - not much can be done besides shoot reduced sized targets closer in, or go indoors. Most of my 25m shots with it are 1MOA for the group not counting fliers (called).

Popular things are popular for a reason.
    You sir are speaking to my logic and my wallet. Every time I think "Man it'd be fun to have a 22 bolt gun." I look at the prices and the entry level 10/22 is cheaper and I keep thinking there is a reason that every other maker out there has 1 subforum on rimfirecentral and there are 12 sub forums dedicated to just the 10/22.

Necropost. I'm playing around with picking up a rimfire bolt gun.

What's everyone's thoughts on the CZ 457 compared to it's predecessors? I'm also looking at the Ruger American Rimfire. specifically the suppressor ready models.

I acknowledge the CZ is likely a better gun. . .but the Ruger takes 10/22 mags, which is nice.

I want Appleseed level accuracy. It'll be something the kids (now 3 years old) will grow up with.
    Last edited by David S.; 10-03-2020 at 07:45 AM.
    David S.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    I think the 457 is a better gun than the earlier models. CZ traditionalists used to talk about superior fit and finish of the 452s, but 455s are switch-barrel and can be upgraded to match-grade barrels without involving a gunsmith. And a gunsmith who knows what he's doing can do better with them by fitting the barrel to the receiver ID. The 457s have that advantage, plus a safety that works the right direction and the reduced bolt lift.

Personally, I have a 512 Carbine that I like for my SA .22LR and a 455 Shamrock Edition that I will keep forever, or until my godson is old enough to pass it on to him.

I've sold several 452s and picked up a T1x in HMR this year. Have an FV-SR that I need to fiddle around with a little more, but will probably eventually replace with a 16.5-inch T1x. My CF rifles are Tikkas, so having everything feel and work the same in the same stocks makes sense.

I compared the T1x to a CZ 457 At-One. I like the Tikka stock, obviously. I didn't really get along with the grip shape on the At-One.

A 457 Scout would be a great pick for getting them started early, and can be put in a standard stock later as they grow into it. Some grownups prefer that setup for a woods-walking rifle anyway. It's also threaded, which goes well with the shorter barrel. https://gun.deals/search/apachesolr_search/806703023359

Any CZ is a much, much nicer rifle than any Ruger American.

I really like these scope mounnts: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Scope-Rings...m/264268435836
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

I have a CZ 455 with a high end 4X Leupold scope on it. I shoot it at 50, 100 and 200. I screwed up and didn't get a mildot reticle for 100 and 200. I never realized that you could be accurate with any 22LR out to 200 but it's easy with a CZ or other quality rifle and good glass. I have more fun with that rifle than any I own. I may still break down and get a fixed power mil dot down the road. My experience with Ruger is they're barrels aren't that great. Lots of after market out there if you want to fix that.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Any CZ is a much, much nicer rifle than any Ruger American.

I really like these scope mounnts: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Scope-Rings...m/264268435836
    Thanks for the comments.

A Scout won't fit me, so I'll probably go with a full size synthetic American for myself and the Scout in a couple years when they're ready.

Thinking about a non-illuminated VX-Freedom 1.5-4x20 in the 0.5" rings you suggested.
    David S.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Another good option for a first rifle is the Marlin 15YN. It's the "real" Marlin action, so all the trigger unsuckifying stuff you'd do to any Marlin rimfire bolt gun is applicable. The stock is tiny. It's a single-shot receiver. And they're really cheap. The one in my safe cost about $150 shipped from GB.

Flat smokes the Crickett/Rascal nonsense.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

A .22 bolt-action rifle with good iron sights pretty much implies pre-owned as most new rifles have no sights and the ones with good sights cost good money. My personal choice was a 1941 Winchester 75 Sporter with a Lyman 57ES sight. Cost was $550 last year. Deals are available but patience is required. I would watch this page: https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum...y&categoryid=5

Site Supporter
    I picked up a Remington 514 (June '61 date code) a couple of weeks ago that I was planning on giving to my grandson. I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet, but it might well turn into letting him use it until he can hit what he's aiming at, and then I'll give him my 10/22.

User Tag List