Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Which 22 LR bolt gun for 100 yards?

To hear some of y'all tell...I must be really lucky to regularly shoot my Remington Nylon 66 @ 100 yards and get sub-MOA accuracy out of it. The 4x32 Weaver scope certainly helps, but maybe because that's the rifle I got for my 10th birthday and I've been shooting it since then...

My sarcastic point is - if you want to get into accurate shooting; no need to jump right into an Anschutz (which don't get me wrong, they are AMAZING rifles). Unless you're already a great rifle shooter. A Savage MKII serves as a solid foundation for Boy Scouts, ROTC Cadets, and just about every one else. Once you get solid trigger control, breathing, etc. You can move on to the big money guns. I've helped teach YMCA Camp kids before with Savage MKIs and MKIIs and a few bricks of Aguila Match and we had no problem teaching 10-13 year old boys to shoot nickle sized groups with irons at 50-yards, and quarter-sized groups at 100, in just a under 6-hours on the range.

I plan to get all of my nephews and my niece individual Ruger 10/22s when the time is right. But they will all start out on the single-shot Savage MKI for fundamentals of shooting and then move on to advanced shooting. I figure by the time they are all in the teens (the oldest and youngest are 5-years apart, total). I'll have my own well regulated mini-Militia.

Quote Originally Posted by Soggy View Post
    You may be forgetting the old adage "you can't always get what you want". I would suggest having some patience and grab a 452 w/o irons while you can. The stocks on the 452's with irons are designed to be used with irons. Not sure how big a deal that is if you scoped one later, but something to consider.

If you can't wait, you might want to check out rimfirecentral.com and get some ideas there.
    Quote Originally Posted by NH Shooter View Post
    Good point. These stocks usually have a significant drop of the comb to be able to use the close-to-the-bore iron sights. Once you install a scope you will most likely need a cheek riser or a new stock with enough comb height to get a proper cheek weld.
    No particular rush with this. I hadn't thought about that. I might be better off waiting to get a scope too.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyoming Shooter View Post
    No offense was intended. I just don't know of any 22 that is "very accurate at 100 yards" and meets your other criteria in the $300 - 500 range. Good luck with your search. Shooting 22s at distance is great fun.
    I just meant that you said I can't get what I want for $300-500 which might be true but you didn't tell me how much I'd need to spend to get that. If it's $600 I might go "Well ok I'll save" but if it's $1200 I'll settle for whatever I can get in my price range. Simply stating "You can't get that for your price" wasn't very constructive.

Quote Originally Posted by mrozowjj View Post
    No particular rush with this. I hadn't thought about that. I might be better off waiting to get a scope too.

Just to clarify: I would get the 452 now while you can, and then have the patience to not shoot it until you get the scope later. If you wait to get the 452 they could well be gone. Not that there is anything wrong with a 455 if that is your only option (or the savage).

Just to clarify: I would get the 452 now while you can, and then have the patience to not shoot it until you get the scope later. If you wait to get the 452 they could well be gone. Not that there is anything wrong with a 455 if that is your only option (or the savage).
    The local dealer is CZ fanatic and bought every 452 he could get his hands. He made a post about it on his webpage awhile ago saying he found a distributor with some 452s in stock and he bought up every one he could find. He has these in stock currently

• 452-2E ZKM Super Match 22LR
    • 452 American Classic
    • 452 American
    • 452 STD Still 1/2x20 Thread 22LR

Bud's has a CZ American for $389.
    Instead of buying a CZ with tangent open sight and "hog back" stock or a Savage with the typical 50 cent stamped open sights just so you can go shooting the next day, I recommend getting the American and a cheap scope. I had a 4X Bushnell on a 10-22 that did pretty well.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

My favorite rifle ever is my 452 Lux. It's been exceptionally accurate and a pleasure to shoot out to 175 yards.

My 452 American may be easier to shoot small groups with, but shooting with irons is flat out more fun for me.

I've done quite a bit of long range (200-300 yard) shooting with .22's. people I know who have shot long range (1000 yard) high power as well as the .22 at 300 yards tell me the challenges are similar. Most of my long range .22 work has been with single shots, a Winchester high wall with a 8x Lyman Jr Targetspot and a Browning .45-70 with a .22 insert and Soule aperture sights. I've also shot a lot of .22 silhouette matches from 40 to 100 yards. Don't overlook a good lever action .22 like a Marlin 39a or a Winchester 9422. All they need is a good aperture sight. To do well at longer ranges, you'll need good sights and good ammo. The sights need to have easily repeatable adjustments. Going from 50 yards to 300 yards requires a lot of elevation, most scopes with internal adjustments don't have enough to get there. Been there done that. The Aguila Match Rifle has shot well for me and is reasonably priced for match grade .22 ammo, but every gun is different and yours might do ok with a less expensive round. To do really well you will probably want to weigh your ammo and also sort by rim thickness. The more expensive the ammo, the less necessary it is to do that.
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

I listed the 452s the dealer has in stock above, I don't know what the difference is between them though. Do you happen to know?

I listed the 452s the dealer has in stock above, I don't know what the difference is between them though. Do you happen to know?
    452-2E ZKM Super Match 22LR - Irons, ~25" barrel, drop comb stock is set up for the irons (https://gun.deals/search/apachesolr_search/806703020334)
    452 American Classic - Literally "the classic" 452. 22" barrel. Walnut stock. No irons, straight comb stock. (https://gun.deals/search/apachesolr_search/806703020105)
    452 American - Like the classic but with a beech stock (https://gun.deals/search/apachesolr_search/806703020259)
    452 STD Still 1/2x20 Thread 22LR - Like the classic but threaded with a non-standard thread that will likely need an adapter (https://gun.deals/search/apachesolr_search/806703020396)

If you don't think you'll ever get a suppressor the classic is a good bet, or the one with the beech stock if you want to save a few bucks. If you do get a suppressor you can always have the barrel cut. The threaded American has a standard length barrel, so when you put a suppressor on it might be kind of long. Of course, you could always get that cut down and threaded with normal threads later if you wanted. I am waiting on my suppressor and will take a wait and see approach to that question for my threaded American.

If they have more than one of what you want you might ask to see a couple of them and pick the one with the prettiest stock (assuming they are not busy in the store).

I have a Savage MKII TR that I got a few years ago. I only had access to about 80 yards but out of the box without doing anything to it it seemed like I couldn't miss. If I had to do it over again I would look really hard at CZ. When I got my Savage CZ didn't have their tacticool model out which is what I wanted. Still, the Savage is a solid performer.

User Tag List