Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Which 22 LR bolt gun for 100 yards?

I'm also in Seattle. Which range did you join?

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

I'm in the club that would rather have fewer high quality guns vs. a larger collection of mediocre ones. I also truly appreciate attractive fit and finish, especially when it includes blued steel and wood.

A few years ago I decided to put together a "quality" .22LR rifle (though iron sights were not needed). Along with reasonably decent fit and finish, I was primarily interested in the greatest amount of precision I could get for the $$ (around $500 to $600 for a complete rifle). Yes, I could have saved and spent plenty more on a .22 rifle but based on the reports of excellent accuracy, a workable trigger and the availability of aftermarket accessories, I ended up with a Savage Mkll FV to serve as the basis for the project.

I replaced the incredibly cheap plastic stock with a Boyd's Hunter laminated stock, that I ended up doing a bedding project on to better secure the action to the stock (this is a major weak point of these rifles). I used the scope mounts included with the rifle and bedded them (as in JB Welded them directly to) the receiver in perfectly-aligned fashioned. I used Leupold PRW rings and installed a Clear Ridge Ultra RM scope. An Apache Trigger Kit was used to achieve a very respectably crisp trigger pull of about two pounds. I also installed a Mountain Shooter sling which works extremely well for shooting from field positions. All tolled I ended up very close to my $600 budget when it was done.

I am very pleased with the end result: it's a very decent rifle capable of sub .5 MOA precision with non-match Geco LR ammo at 50 yards. Creating a solid union between the barreled action and stock was a major undertaking but worked out well. For under $250 the Clear Ridge scope is IMO perfect for a general-purpose .22 rifle; excellent mechanical quality and optics, and not too big and heavy. Metal cap covered semi-target turrets, locking eyepiece diopter, a smooth turning adjustable objective focus (mine focuses down to well under 30 feet), very decent optics and made in Japan quality, Clear Ridge seems a well-kept secret but it's certainly a lot of scope for the money.

If I had to do it again I would probably go with a CZ, especially if I had no interest in home gunsmith projects. The Savage Mk ll suffers from a terrible receiver-to-stock interface, truly lousy almost unusable magazines (the stainless steel versions are somewhat better), pitiful plastic stocks and mediocre finishing (thinking about Cerakote for mine). The other side of the coin is a good trigger and great accuracy potential that with some work can be used to create a very capable (and presentable) rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    CMP sells the Savage MKII FVT to clubs for Junior Marksmanship Training. They use Williams-type iron sights and make excellent bolt action trainers. Unfortunately, CMP only sells those models to clubs and not individuals - http://thecmp.org/cmp_sales/rifle_sa...et-commercial/ - But you can order the MK II FVT through any dealer (you just pay more than the CMP price).

If I wanted a bolt-action .22 with irons for .22 work - I would start right there.
    If you plan on shooting bullseye targets for small groups, this would have the best iron sights for that in your price range. If you plan to scope it, you would have to remove the rear sight. I don't know anything about the rifle itself. But NH Shooter's info might be useful.
    Last edited by DamonL; 06-22-2017 at 06:35 AM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by mrozowjj View Post
    I feel like people are missing the part where I say the sights have to be serviceable. I'm not expecting to hit shots at 100 with them or at least not as easily as I would with a scope. I just don't want to have an unusable gun for a few months.

I don't think your reply was as constructive as you seem to think it is.
    No offense was intended. I just don't know of any 22 that is "very accurate at 100 yards" and meets your other criteria in the $300 - 500 range. Good luck with your search. Shooting 22s at distance is great fun.

Quote Originally Posted by mrozowjj View Post
    I feel like people are missing the part where I say the sights have to be serviceable. I'm not expecting to hit shots at 100 with them or at least not as easily as I would with a scope. I just don't want to have an unusable gun for a few months.

I don't think your reply was as constructive as you seem to think it is.
    You may be forgetting the old adage "you can't always get what you want". I would suggest having some patience and grab a 452 w/o irons while you can. The stocks on the 452's with irons are designed to be used with irons. Not sure how big a deal that is if you scoped one later, but something to consider.

If you can't wait, you might want to check out rimfirecentral.com and get some ideas there.

Site Supporter
    It's no bolt, but a 10/22 with tech sites is good to 200 yards with a 1 foot hold over (25m zero). Heavily supported and cheap used.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For me, the utility of a .22 bolt gun is that I can practice wind calls and holds, engaging multiple targets and varying ranges under time pressure, awkward positions, etc. --all compressed into a 250 yd. course of fire, using cheap(er) ammo. 250 yd for .22LR requires ~10 mil, around what it takes to hit 1100 yds for my .260.
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 06-22-2017 at 11:56 AM.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

I recently bought a Ruger American 22 for my son and was EXTREMELY impressed in the accuracy right out of the box, the first two shots I took were actually touching!! (Only at 30 yards just to check the thing out before I handed it off him) I got the full sized one and it came with the stock mod so when I put a scope on it for him it was a natural cheek weld. It takes the classic 10/22 mags that I have a tub of and trust. He pretty consistently puts all ten in the black at 100 yrds with the 4x I put on it. Might not be a special made marksmanship pice but for $300-$500 it is as close as your going to get and when or if you go up to a hunting caliber you can get an American in any caliber and know the gun already.

Quote Originally Posted by Soggy View Post
    The stocks on the 452's with irons are designed to be used with irons. Not sure how big a deal that is if you scoped one later, but something to consider.
    Good point. These stocks usually have a significant drop of the comb to be able to use the close-to-the-bore iron sights. Once you install a scope you will most likely need a cheek riser or a new stock with enough comb height to get a proper cheek weld.

A CZ is going to get you the closest to what you want while staying within your budget.

I have a CZ 455 Varmint and I like it a lot.

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...play.php?f=328 Lots of good info here. Read stuff by Topstrap44. I shoot .22's with him. He puts on a long range rimfire match at his place. Targets from 25 yards out to 197. Most of the shooters are using bolt guns. Probably Anschutz is the most popular, but that is above your budget. There is mix of older target rifles mixed in. A lot of people are shooting Wolf Match Target ammo at $6 a box.

I would recommend a CZ from your local shop and talk him into selling you a cheap used scope to start. Eventually, you will need a good scope with target knobs so you can dial in at the different distances.

User Tag List