Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Which 22 LR bolt gun for 100 yards?

Which 22 LR bolt gun for 100 yards?

I have for the last 3 years only really had access to 25 yards so I focused mostly on pistol shooting. I have recently joined a range with fixed berms at 25, 100, and 200 yards (no other intermediate ranges possible) and I am now considering doing some more rifle shooting.

I had been considering getting a .308 rifle but seeing as how I have no real desire to hunt or do any of the accuracy competitions I recently decided I could save a lot of o money if I instead got a nice 22 LR rifle instead.

My intention now is to shoot a lot of 22 LR at 100 yards until I get good or well frustrated. Ha.

I know CZs are well regarded and a local dealer loves them (He has 455s and actually bought up the last stock fo 452s he could find in the country so he has a few of those too... he's a quirky dude; even has Anschutz rifles in stock) but a friend told me to look Savages because they are "Cheaper and will shoot about as good, have cheaper magazines, etc" and he was a fan of their Accutrigger.

I personally have no stakes in the game as of yet. I'm not even tied to a bolt gun, I wouldn't be opposed to a semi if I could get one in my price range that would be very accurate in my price range. My requirements are:
    • $300-500 range for just the gun.
    • Magazines are readily available and reasonably affordable
    • Should have serviceable iron sights as I likely will not get a scope for at least a few months and I don't like the idea of having a gun that I can't shoot for a few months
    • Is very accurate at 100 yards
    • Threaded barrel would be a bonus but not required. I have no plans to get a silencer anytime soon but if ASA passes I would jump on one at some point down the road.

I've asked this elsewhere but I tend to trust you guys more.

Which 22 LR bolt gun for 100 yards?

Here's my 22 Trainer build. It's good out to 225 yds. Sorry--no iron sights.
    Savage Mark II FV-SR
    Midway Metal chassis
    Magpul CTR w/cheek riser
    BCM Grip 0
    Scope: BSA Mil/Mil FFP 4-14x44 ($300)
    AAC Element II
    Weaver Tactical 6 hole rings
    http://swfa.com/Weaver-Six-Hole-Tact...gs-P46465.aspx

Last edited by Clusterfrack; 06-21-2017 at 09:19 PM.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

I think the iron sights requirement is going to eliminate a lot of quality picks from your consideration.

I have a CZ 455 Tacticool, that I bought because it already had a usable stock.

The mags are about $35. More expensive than some others, but try pricing AICS 7.62 mags and then you will be happy with $35 mags.

It's already threaded for a can, and the threads are concentric to the bore - an important thing to think about.

Re: ASA. I think you mean HPA - Hearing Protection Act. The ASA is usually a reference to the American Silencer Association.

Hope that helps.

Site Supporter
    Get one of the CZs and get a quality scope. None of the irons available on the price range you're in are worth crap. To get truly precise irons, you'll have to get into the Anschutz world on a stupid expensive match rifle. My CZ 452 Varmint is scary at 50 and 100 yards.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Site Supporter
    What you want isn't within your price range. We have a weekly 50 yard 22 bench rest shoot. Pretty much everyone is shooting a bolt gun. Think CZ, Anschutz, Kimber, and Sako. I suggest saving your money until you can buy a quality rifle. Best, ELN.
    Last edited by Wyoming Shooter; 06-21-2017 at 09:56 PM.

CMP sells the Savage MKII FVT to clubs for Junior Marksmanship Training. They use Williams-type iron sights and make excellent bolt action trainers. Unfortunately, CMP only sells those models to clubs and not individuals - http://thecmp.org/cmp_sales/rifle_sa...et-commercial/ - But you can order the MK II FVT through any dealer (you just pay more than the CMP price).

If I wanted a bolt-action .22 with irons for .22 work - I would start right there.

I shoot my CZ 452 lux with a williams aperture sight out to 300 yards regularly. With good ammo hitting a 12x20 IDPA steel at that range is easy. That's not super impressive accuracy or anything special, but I think it's a good match for what you're looking for. Last time I checked, the rifles go for a bit under 400, and the sight for about 80.

I am happy with my two CZ 455s, one is a Varmint and the other is a Tacticool.

A few Savages I have shot were pretty accurate but a lot of corners are cut in the fit and finish department. You get what you pay for.

If you want irons, another choice would be a Ruger American. I picked one up slightly used for a price that was impassable. It is my go to rifle for cheap iron sight practice.

At 100, accuracy helps but the wind is your real enemy.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

I feel like people are missing the part where I say the sights have to be serviceable. I'm not expecting to hit shots at 100 with them or at least not as easily as I would with a scope. I just don't want to have an unusable gun for a few months.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyoming Shooter View Post
    What you want isn't within your price range. We have a weekly 50 yard 22 bench rest shoot. Pretty much everyone is shooting a bolt gun. Think CZ, Anschutz, Kimber, and Sako. I suggest saving your money until you can buy a quality rifle. Best, ELN.
    I don't think your reply was as constructive as you seem to think it is.

And for all the talk about the bolt guns, the reality is that if you're not feeding top end anmo $9.00-12.00 a box of 50, even your top tier guns won't do much for superb accuracy.

I had, and liked an Anshutz biathlon rifle I got from a former contender in that discipline. But it wasn't even close to your price point. After shooting some indoor winter small bore matches, I had an issue with the sights (gun was knocked over and sights needed replaced after their impact with the floor) and shot the rest of the season with my home built 10/22. It was an awkward transition from the purpose built gun to a hardware store pick up. Another shooter loaned me a barrel, and I'll be damned if it didn't turn in some respectable groups.

Ultimately, I sold the Anshutz (to the douche canoe who knocked it over in the first place) and put some of the returned money into my 10/22. I wouldn't trade that rifle for all the tea in china. It is as accurate as the dedicated gun when I feed it the right ammo thru a legitimate barrel. I have not always cared for it as I should, so I've replaced the barrel more than I would have liked, and it would need a new one now to be competitive.

But as it stands this second, it will still shoot 2-2.5" at 100 yards with Lapua ammo. With CCIs, it's about a 4" gun. Hands down my favorite .22 in the stable. Granted, it's not at your price point either, but initial investment is, and like the 1911 or AR-15, you have an entire cottage industry to support modification if/when the time comes you want to.

If you're willing to do the work, and upgrade as you can afford to, a semi-auto can hold its own against the bolt guns in the accuracy department. The number of shooters with the skill to notice the difference is quite small. Shooting benchrest is a different game altogether and bolt and single shot rifles take advantage of the edge provided by them, but most people are not capable of that degree of accuracy without the help of the bench. And the rest.
    Last edited by Odin Bravo One; 06-21-2017 at 11:07 PM.
    You can get much more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.

User Tag List