Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Which 22 LR bolt gun for 100 yards?

Quote Originally Posted by David S. View Post
    Necropost. I'm playing around with picking up a rimfire bolt gun.

What's everyone's thoughts on the CZ 457 compared to it's predecessors? I'm also looking at the Ruger American Rimfire. specifically the suppressor ready models.

I acknowledge the CZ is likely a better gun. . .but the Ruger takes 10/22 mags, which is nice.

I want Appleseed level accuracy. It'll be something the kids (now 3 years old) will grow up with.
    The irony of this thread coming back from the dead is I now have 2 10/22s and zero 22lr bolt guns.

The CZ might technically be a better gun in terms of manufacturing but the Ruger 10/22 does everything I wanted a bolt gun to do only cheaper. The one 10/22 I have is a target model that I got with the intention that I could swap the barrel if I needed to but the factory barrel gets me 1.5" groups at 100 yards which is more than good enough for me and the other is a standard gun with Tech Sights I threw on with the intention of using it for appleseed and I can put them all in one hole at 25 yards so I have zero to complain about.

The CZ might be better made and might look nicer but from a pure function stand point it's really hard to go wrong with the 10/22.

If you want to teach him patience you can always install one of these on the gun:
    http://www.colossic.com/defenseproductboltlock.html

Quote Originally Posted by mrozowjj View Post
    The irony of this thread coming back from the dead is I now have 2 10/22s and zero 22lr bolt guns.

The CZ might technically be a better gun in terms of manufacturing but the Ruger 10/22 does everything I wanted a bolt gun to do only cheaper. The one 10/22 I have is a target model that I got with the intention that I could swap the barrel if I needed to but the factory barrel gets me 1.5" groups at 100 yards which is more than good enough for me and the other is a standard gun with Tech Sights I threw on with the intention of using it for appleseed and I can put them all in one hole at 25 yards so I have zero to complain about.

The CZ might be better made and might look nicer but from a pure function stand point it's really hard to go wrong with the 10/22.

If you want to teach him patience you can always install one of these on the gun:
    http://www.colossic.com/defenseproductboltlock.html
    There is nothing wrong with 10/22 rifles. I have more than a few, set up for everything from plinking to small-game hunting to bench shooting. Most of mine have Volquartsen barrels, but I have two Tactical Solutions guns that I use for small game due to being easier to tote. One has a Leupold FX1 4X and the other has a Leupold M8-8X with the adjustable objective. I also have a Ruger American Rimfire Target topped with a Leupold 4-12X40 and threaded for a suppressor. A suppressed bolt action is "Hollywood" quiet with subsonic ammo and this rifle is fun from the bench.

There are no bad choices here.

Quote Originally Posted by BN View Post
    I have a CZ 455 Varmint and I like it a lot.
    A lot has changed since I wrote this 3 years ago. I still have the CZ but it sits in the back of my safe. After spending a lot of money on 22 rimfires, I would now recommend a 10-22 for an inexpensive 22 rifle. I now have a 10-22 that I shoot out to 350 yards and it isn't as accurate as my more expensive rifles, but it does a very good job. I have no experience with Appleseed but I've read that a 10-22 is ideal. Plus the aftermarket for 10-22s is extensive.

I have the semi auto .22lr category satisfied with a M&P15-22 and a Savage 64F.

I ended up going with a CZ 457 Sythetic SR, a Leupold VX-Freedom 1.5-4x20 scope on Talley low rings.
    David S.

With my weakness for rimfires, I never should have opened this thread...
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

With the sort of precision rimfire discussion going, what about optics?

I've looked at the Vortex Strike Eagle 5-25, Viper PST2 3-15, and Athalon Ares and Midas Tacs. I think I want a tree reticle, but I also have no frame of reference for magnified optics beyond the ACOG I once owned. Are there other options I should be considering? I'd like to keep things sub-1K (and preferably more like 800). My expected ranges are 50-200yds.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by ssb View Post
    With the sort of precision rimfire discussion going, what about optics?

I've looked at the Vortex Strike Eagle 5-25, Viper PST2 3-15, and Athalon Ares and Midas Tacs. I think I want a tree reticle, but I also have no frame of reference for magnified optics beyond the ACOG I once owned. Are there other options I should be considering? I'd like to keep things sub-1K (and preferably more like 800). My expected ranges are 50-200yds.
    I have a SWFA SS 3-15 on a Tikka T1X. It does not have a tree type reticle, but the turrets track well and the glass is pretty good. Price was $700. It is FFP and the reticle is difficult to see at low magnification, but I find myself at the higher end of the magnification range generally.

User Tag List