Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ride-Along Etiquette

Ride-Along Etiquette

Work is going to put me working closely with several agencies so I figured it would be beneficial for me to observe their work; over the next few weekends, my intent is to do ride-alongs with each of the agencies I'll be working with. I'll be in a car with an officer/trooper on night shift for a few hours. Work has policies regarding what I can and cannot do, so obviously I'll follow those. Having never actually done this before, are there any do's and don'ts that you would suggest?

Thanks!

Be respectful that you are an outsider and in close proximity to a stranger. Think of it like someone sitting in your cubicle or similar. Some cops like a ride a long and some don't. Hopefully you get ones that like it or don't mind. Ask questions and follow their directions. Regardless you will have fun and learn plenty.

Be patient. Use the bathroom when you can, not when you have to. Be social. Don't bring a bunch of crap in the car. Be mindful of what you say when the camera is turned on.

Dress appropriately, find out whether or not they were "voluntold" to have you , ask them when the right time is for questions, make sure you do not answer any questions asked of you by others on calls. Instead direct them to an officer. Find out if he or she has any particular instructions for you if something goes south. Find out exactly when, or if at all, you're allowed to get out of the car. I enjoy having riders. That said, I have zero tolerance for those that don't obey the rules and have absolutely no problem taking them back to the station and chucking them out the door. I'm not going to let anyone put me or anyone else at unnecessary risk.
    Last edited by iWander; 06-21-2017 at 09:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. No View Post
    Be patient. Use the bathroom when you can, not when you have to.
    The second your bladder or bowels start to feel a little full, go, otherwise, something gnarly will happen. You might find yourself trying to pee behind a dumpster while on perimeter at a standoff, while the news chopper films you on live Tee Vee.

Or, uh, at least that's what I've heard.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Site Supporter
    Be observant. One thing that I always tell my ride alongs is to pay attention to steet signs, and know where we are. I also show them which mic works the radio, not because I want them to use it; but because one of my co-workers from the academy before mine (less than 2 years ahead of me) got into a struggle for a gun with a crazy guy on a traffic stop and was shot with a minor, grazing wound to the neck while the second officer got flash burns across the face, effectively blinding him for the duration. The cavalry was called by the teen age explorer ride along while the initial officer and his back up were fighting with this geezer.

I would not ask which mic to use if the officer doesn't' bring it up, but just pay attention to which he uses.

Questions can wait until the call is cleared.

In my agency, which is probably due for SOP overhaul in this area, the ride along is not allowed out of the car on a call for service, and on a "hot call", may well get left on a convenient, well-lit street corner while en route. We don't get many ride alongs, the only ones I am aware of in the last 5-6 years are students taking certian criminal justice courses, and we are in the middle of a metro area that sees a lot more activity than we do, so we haven't had any ride alongs that I am aware of in the last handfull of years, they all go to the surrounding agencies.

And making sure you use the bathroom every opportunity offered, 'cause no one is going to care that you gotta go on a scene. Scenes are where we have the most to do, the most to think about, and the least time to do it in.

pat

Be prepared for the ride a long curse. Long periods of no activity...

I always told people riding along that there would be calls I could take them into and others they'd have to sit in the car. I always told them where the radio mic was and how to call the cavalry if something went south on a traffic stop.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Work rules say don't get out of the car unless told to, don't talk to the defendants beyond what's needed to make it clear it's not a good idea to start talking to me, a few other things dealing with officer-asked questions, and above all to be safe.

From you guys, I draw:
    a) treat it like I've got somebody shadowing me in my office/in court; don't get in the way of their job, and wait for the down time to ask questions
    b) piss whenever the opportunity presents itself
    c) be aware of how to get help if needed
    d) be nice, have fun, go learn stuff

These guys and girls will be my primary witnesses for the type of crime I'm working, so I figured it best to see things happen from their perspective, rather than limiting my understanding to when dash/body cam kicks in. Additionally, I figure the better the relationship I have with the officers/troopers, the better things'll run for me overall in my position. I appreciate the input.

Quote Originally Posted by Coyotesfan97 View Post
    Be prepared for the ride a long curse. Long periods of no activity...

I always told people riding along that there would be calls I could take them into and others they'd have to sit in the car. I always told them where the radio mic was and how to call the cavalry if something went south on a traffic stop.
    I had the opposite "luck" when I had ride alongs. My first we got in a car chase where the car lost a rear wheel, continued for a few miles then a foot chase but caught 2 guys with a police scanner and 17 airbags they had stolen, then a fight later in the same shift. Another I got a gun from a road rage incident to go with the arrest. Another I discovered a nurse with a needle in her arm unconscious and hundreds of pills and needles filling her car and trunk. That took the rest of the shift to inventory after she was transported.

I've had both and find certain riders bring either a shift of chaos or their own crickets every time they come. I enjoy staying busy and the activity gives them a broader understanding of what we do...

We'd have robberies, tasings, shootings and pursuits every time a few guys rode. Thankfully, it's been busy with more mundane calls whenever family rode with me with the exception of the shooting when my son rode.
    Last edited by iWander; 06-22-2017 at 09:58 AM.

User Tag List