Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HR 218 question

Site Supporter

HR 218 question

I'm reading a mystery novel where the protagonist is a retired NYPD lieutenant. He retired after politics and injuries but in good stead. He becomes a lawyer and is working on a case in Virginia where there are threats. There is a debate whether he should carry as he doesn't have a permit in VA. I thought that being retired under 218 and with some quals allowed you to carry anywhere in the country.

I asked the author about that and he said that the hero can only carry in NY. So what's the real world deal? My googling says I'm correct but what do I know about the real world.

Site Supporter
    It is possible your protagonist could Carry under HR 218 but it is not automatic.

You must be "honorably" retired with at least 15 years service. You need a photo ID attesting to this from your former agency and you need proof you have successfully shot the LE qual course for your state of residence within the past year. For example, an NYPD retiree living in Florida would shoot the Florida state course at a local agency.

When those conditions are met you can carry anywhere in the U.S.. Individual state mag capacity limits do apply.

H, I thought it was at least ten years of service. Has that provision changed? (Not that it applies to us, just curious.)

Glenn, I retired in FL but here in NC, since I can't qualify with ICE, I qualify with the local sheriff's office using the same (off-duty) qualification courses they use for both day and nighttime. I submit my paperwork, payment and a copy of my "retired" creds to the Dept of Justice and they issue me a card which states I have successfully completed the qualifications, the applicable dates and the firearms qualified with. That card and my retired creds allow me to carry in the 50 states.

In fact, I just shot an email off to the lieutenant asking him to set me up for a range day.
    Last edited by blues; 06-21-2017 at 11:50 AM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Site Supporter
    HCM - The aggregate years of service required for the LEOSA to apply to former officers have been lowered from 15 to 10. Also, although the term "retired" is still used in the statute, actually having retired from an LE agency is not necessary.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/926C

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    H, I thought it was at least ten years of service. Has that provision changed? (Not that it applies to us, just curious.)

Glenn, I retired in FL but here in NC, since I can't qualify with ICE, I qualify with the local sheriff's office using the same (off-duty) qualification courses they use for both day and nighttime. I submit my paperwork, payment and a copy of my "retired" creds to the Dept of Justice and they issue me a card which states I have successfully completed the qualifications, the applicable dates and the firearms qualified with. That card and my retired creds allow me to carry in the 50 states.

In fact, I just shot an email off to the lieutenant asking him to set me up for a range day.
    You are correct. It was originally 15, subsequently reduced to 10.

Good info here: http://le.nra.org/leosa/frequently-asked-questions.aspx

AFAIK no federal agencies conduct quals for their retirees. Federal retirees just shoot the qual course for their state of residence.
    Last edited by HCM; 06-21-2017 at 11:59 AM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Français View Post
    HCM - The aggregate years of service required for the LEOSA to apply to former officers have been lowered from 15 to 10. Also, although the term "retired" is still used in the statute, actually having retired from an LE agency is not necessary.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/926C
    yes- that was another change from the original. The main thing is still having left in "good standing".

Site Supporter
    Off limits areas and LEOSA: http://le.nra.org/leosa/off-limit-areas.aspx

Site Supporter
    It was my understanding that a department can refuse to give you the required ID card and you do not have standing to compel them to issue one.

Site Supporter
    That is discussed in the NRA LEOSA FAQ linked above.

Quote Originally Posted by Poconnor View Post
    It was my understanding that a department can refuse to give you the required ID card and you do not have standing to compel them to issue one.
    This is very true.

When I read the policy documents from my old department it said that it depended, essentially, on whether they were in the mood to assist, or it wasn't too much trouble. And...if they do deign to provide them, they make obtaining said documentation as absolutely difficult and expensive as possible in order to erase that ill considered thought from your mind before even starting the process. I kid you not.

Thank God I requested and kept my "retired" creds.
    Last edited by blues; 06-21-2017 at 02:20 PM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

User Tag List