Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: NFA Registry is seriously flawed

NFA Registry is seriously flawed

Of Arms and the Law (link below) has an interesting post about how much the NFA registry sucks after an audit turned up some bad info. Thought y'all might find the whole mess interesting.

The ATF inspectors' comments are damning:

"When I conduct an NFA inventory reconciliation, I start knowing that the NRA register will be incomplete or inaccurate."

"The discrepancies in the NFRTR makes it impossible to verify the onsite inventory."

"I encounter discrepancies on a daily basis."

"In one instance, I received an NFRTR inventory report with more than 60 errors on behalf of the NFA branch."

"A majority of the FFLs I have inspected, NFA is a small portion of their business. However, I spend the most time on the NFA portion due to the NFRTR being inaccurate most of the time."

"It creates embarrassment to the agency and the IOI because we are always wrong."

Original source: http://armsandthelaw.com/archives/20...a_database.php

Report: BATF OIG survenys on NFA best.pdf
    Last edited by TR675; 06-20-2017 at 05:00 PM.

Shocking revelations.
    You can get much more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.

Site Supporter
    This is not news. I thought this was common knowledge.

It's not new info and is commonly known in the industry. IIRC several criminal prosecutions have been derailed because the defense attorney was sharp and knew the issue.

This report, though, is new to me and could be important Brady material if it hasn't been turned over in some NFA prosecutions - and I guarantee it hasn't.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Rumor had it that back in the day it was on Rolodex-like cards, and that occasionally a departing employee would destroy a card or three in a fit of pique.

I hope this is just rumor.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

sure would be a shame if someone spilled their covfefe all over that rolodex...
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

Is the registry paper, or does it get put on microfiche like 4473s?
    Taking a break from social media.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by hufnagel View Post
    sure would be a shame if someone spilled their covfefe all over that rolodex...
    They apparently discovered computers in the early Aughties, which is why for a brief, shining moment around '06-'07, turnaround times for Form 4's were sixty days or less.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

They can't even run a 4473 check to find an original owner............I've personally watched them take over a year to try to find one. When they did, they were wrong.

I mean, seriously, who honestly believes the government can keep track of shit like that?
    You can get much more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.

Only people who have never worked for the government, I'd bet.
    "Customer is very particular" -- SIG Sauer

User Tag List