Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 44 May be Special. But Not for Defense!

https://underwoodammo.com/shop/44-sp...ast-wadcutter/
    But yeah... my .44 Specials get gold dots

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Jed View Post
    Awesome! I'll look up those pictures, thanks. I feel better already.

That whole, "here-are-some-feeble-bullets-at-feeble-velocities-performing-feebly," article was kind of depressing for a moment.
    Here you go.

This bullet with one of the teflon-type coatings to reduce leading might be a wonderful defensive bullet. I wonder if Underwood could be talked into making such a load....

This is the 255 RN LHP from GT with a Keith-style dollop of 2400. I chrono'ed five of these and the average muzzle velocity is 1,082 fps. Low was 1063 and high was 1091. These are from a 3in barrel.

The bullet in bare gel expanded probably about as far as it'll go without breaking apart. Penetration was about 12in. Through clothing the bullet still had impressive expansion and 16in of penetration.

My previous experimentation with Unique yields 950fps velocity and about 14in in gel. That's probably the load to use since recoil isn't as stiff yet penetration is still darned good.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    Here you go.

This bullet with one of the teflon-type coatings to reduce leading
    I think you mean powder coating. Teflon coated bullets were the hysteria du jour thirty years ago.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    I think you mean powder coating. Teflon coated bullets were the hysteria du jour thirty years ago.
    Oops. Yes you're correct.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    The more I read people like doc Roberts, the less difference I expect in effect between handgun rounds. If they penetrate far enough, have a not streamlined profile, and are 0.3-0.5 in diameter, I just don't attach much credibility to the idea that they will reliably do anything different to a target.
    From everything I've been able to glean on the subject, it seems to go something like this: There are two roughly fist sized spots on the human body, connected by a 1" wide bony strip, where a pistol bullet will have good effect. If you put a pistol bullet through those spots, it doesn't seem to matter much what kind of pistol bullet it is. If you put a pistol bullet someplace other than those spots, it doesn't seem to matter much what kind it is, either.

Expansion seems to be a sign that the bullet is going to be found in dude's clothes on the far side, or maybe on the asphalt a few feet past him. Ball and unexpanded JHPs are the bullets that go on to hit the schoolbuses full of orphaned nuns on their way to a trial lawyer's convention.
    Last edited by Tamara; 06-21-2017 at 07:13 AM.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    From everything I've been able to glean on the subject, it seems to go something like this: There are two roughly fist sized spots on the human body, connected by a 1" wide bony strip, where a pistol bullet will have good effect. If you put a pistol bullet through those spots, it doesn't seem to matter much what kind of pistol bullet it is. If you put a pistol bullet someplace other than those spots, it doesn't seem to matter much what kind it is, either.

Expansion seems to be a sign that the bullet is going to be found in dude's clothes on the far side, or maybe on the asphalt a few feet past him. Ball and unexpanded JHPs are the bullets that go on to hit the schoolbuses full of orphaned nuns on their way to a trial lawyer's convention.
    You're making too much sense, Tamara. That's not allowed on gun "fora", plus you completely overlooked split times in street shootings. You know how important that is!
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    Here you go.

This bullet with one of the teflon-type coatings to reduce leading might be a wonderful defensive bullet. I wonder if Underwood could be talked into making such a load....

This is the 255 RN LHP from GT with a Keith-style dollop of 2400. I chrono'ed five of these and the average muzzle velocity is 1,082 fps. Low was 1063 and high was 1091. These are from a 3in barrel.

The bullet in bare gel expanded probably about as far as it'll go without breaking apart. Penetration was about 12in. Through clothing the bullet still had impressive expansion and 16in of penetration.

My previous experimentation with Unique yields 950fps velocity and about 14in in gel. That's probably the load to use since recoil isn't as stiff yet penetration is still darned good.
    That is pretty slick. Thanks for sharing it. I've not considered GT bullets before, but will look into them now.

I have to agree with the general consensus. The ammo factories aren't going to put much effort into the 44 Special, or any other caliber that isn't 9mm, 40 or 45 acp. There aren't enough buyers out there, and of those who are buyers, even fewer are going to put much thought into ammo selection.

However, because I agree with Tam's logic above, that lack of development isn't that big of a deal to me. Being a fan of non-typical calibers means that one has to be ready to do some searching and experimentation. And I am A-OK with that.
    Ordinary guy

It seems to me that a hard-cast wadcutter at quite moderate velocity would make a very effective round. .43 inch hole; will penetrate nicely but not go too near the bus of nuns going to the trial lawyers convention, and have more-that-manageable recoil.

I doubt that there is a lot to be said for lots of velocity in a .44 Special, and with a hard cast wadcutter you won't need it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeep View Post
    It seems to me that a hard-cast wadcutter at quite moderate velocity would make a very effective round. .43 inch hole; will penetrate nicely but not go too near the bus of nuns going to the trial lawyers convention, and have more-that-manageable recoil.

I doubt that there is a lot to be said for lots of velocity in a .44 Special, and with a hard cast wadcutter you won't need it.
    I always thought this would be pretty awesome
    http://www.mattsbullets.com/index.ph...bg8bm7vkl5hir7

Those seem pretty light and short--I'd be concerned a bit about penetration. I was thinking something more along the lines of a 220-240 grain wad cutter.

User Tag List