Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: 44 May be Special. But Not for Defense!

Awesome! I'll look up those pictures, thanks. I feel better already.

That whole, "here-are-some-feeble-bullets-at-feeble-velocities-performing-feebly," article was kind of depressing for a moment.
    Ordinary guy

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    I've got some Buffalo Bore in the attic. I'll try and get you that, but I'm betting you'll find the bullet some six or eight inches into the catch block.
    I have no doubt you are correct.
    Ordinary guy

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    It would seem, with all the various companies making 44 Special "defensive" ammo, that there is a market for the cartridge. Hornady, Federal, Speer, SIG, Double Tap, Buffalo Bore, Winchester, PMC, Underwood and probably a few others all make JHP ammo for this old girl. It would seem that all it would take is someone to push for a more modern loading to make it happen and get SAAMI to raise the pressure limit.
    When I said limited, I didn't mean that companies don't slap a "defense" label on the box. There isn't much incentive to work on bullet design as they do with 9mm because only 17 people in America will carry .44 Special revolvers for defense. The other problem is that the .44 Magnum uses the same diameter bullets and is infinitely more popular, hence companies don't really care what a .429 bullet does when slowed below magnum velocity.

Does any of that matter when you shoot man or beast with a 200gr JHP or a 240-250gr SWC? Not really.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

The more I read people like doc Roberts, the less difference I expect in effect between handgun rounds. If they penetrate far enough, have a not streamlined profile, and are 0.3-0.5 in diameter, I just don't attach much credibility to the idea that they will reliably do anything different to a target.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    The more I read people like doc Roberts, the less difference I expect in effect between handgun rounds. If they penetrate far enough, have a not streamlined profile, and are 0.3-0.5 in diameter, I just don't attach much credibility to the idea that they will reliably do anything different to a target.
    Seriously, it isn't like humans rapidly evolved in the last century to be hardier and stouter. If anything, the reverse is true. A lot of people are in the ground due to .36 Navy Colts, after all.
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

Quote Originally Posted by PNWTO View Post
    Seriously, it isn't like humans rapidly evolved in the last century to be hardier and stouter. If anything, the reverse is true. A lot of people are in the ground due to .36 Navy Colts, after all.
    How many of those people died from infection or other ailments caused from the wound rather that from blood loss?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Deleted.

Tokarev said it better and sooner.
    Last edited by Duces Tecum; 06-20-2017 at 07:32 PM.

Review the dates folks were shot with the date they died--should get a rough idea of infection mortality vs. more rapidly lethal issues...
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PNWTO View Post
    Well, not hardier, anyway.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk
    This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ilding-a-skiff

I know that doing tests like this sells magazines and ad copy. But I mean...how many times do we have to confirm what we already know?

If Federal HSTs aren't available, Speer Gold Dots should be your bullet of choice....

Only exceptions to this are crazy things, like hunting bullets or bear shooting bullets. If you need handgun bullets for game under 300 pounds and/or people, Gold Dots or HSTs.

User Tag List