Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 44 May be Special. But Not for Defense!

44 May be Special. But Not for Defense!

Please see a recent article/review of some of the available 44 Special defensive ammo on the market.

I'm not surprised the lead offerings from Underwood and Federal didn't do well. But I'd have thought the Double Tap would have done much better. Also note the reported muzzle velocity for the SIG ammo. Yikes.

https://www.americanrifleman.org/art...ial-cartridge/

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Most light-for-caliber .44 Spl underpenetrates, especially if it expands.

Name:  hornady 44 ftx.jpg
Views: 6543
Size:  36.2 KB

That said, if the .429" bullet penetrates 16"-18" reliably through 4LD and stops, I'm not gonna get all ate up over what its velocity is or whether it expands or not.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    ...if the .429" bullet penetrates 16"-18" reliably through 4LD and stops, I'm not gonna get all ate up over what its velocity is or whether it expands or not.
    True enough.

So why pay a premium for defensive ammo that doesn't expand when one can probably get equal performance from less expensive target ammo that's probably just as effective?

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    True enough.

So why pay a premium for defensive ammo that doesn't expand when one can probably get equal performance from less expensive target ammo that's probably just as effective?
    "Target" ammo for the .44 Spl tends to be 246gr LRN. Overpenetrates and lacks the sharp shoulder of the LSWC-HP from Federal or the sharp edged JHP cavity of the Sig load, both of which may help prevent skidding off bones and in greater chances of severing vessels along the wound track, or so the theory goes, even if they don't expand.

And for defense, I tend to stick with Federal or CCI/Speer. (Although I'm warming to Sig's stuff, having fired many cases with no problems so far.)

The .44 Special defensive market has been slim pickings for decades. That said, a 200 or so grain bullet at 850fps is nothing to sneeze at.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

From my personal experience I've found it easy to load 44 Special ammo that penetrates deeply and expands nicely.

The problem with these loads is that they're above anything found in most published manuals so there's no way of knowing pressure. And there's the whole thing about using home brewed ammo for defense.

It would seem, with all the various companies making 44 Special "defensive" ammo, that there is a market for the cartridge. Hornady, Federal, Speer, SIG, Double Tap, Buffalo Bore, Winchester, PMC, Underwood and probably a few others all make JHP ammo for this old girl. It would seem that all it would take is someone to push for a more modern loading to make it happen and get SAAMI to raise the pressure limit.

Underwood makes a couple different loads using the Speer Gold Dot and I've had some pretty good luck with the "Bulldog Only" load in my informal testing. When pushed to up around 950 fps the 200gr Gold Dot opens wonderfully and penetration is still good. The load is a bit stout but nothing that can't be handled unless you're shooting some scandium frame snubby or something. From talking to one of the guys at Underwood, he says the 44 Special Gold Dot loads are still within the current SAAMI spec even at these higher velocities. They're using specifically tailored powders to get where they want to be. While it might not be financially practical for Federal or Winchester to produce ammo like this it is nice to see there are higher performance options out there.

Anyway, the other option is to hound the reloading companies like Western and Hornady into testing and publishing some hotter Special loads. Something along the lines of the 45 Colt "Blackhawk only" data. There is no special SAAMI spec for 45 Colt +P that I'm aware of. I think these loads only exist because there was enough public interest.

Last edited by Tokarev; 06-20-2017 at 05:58 PM.

If he was gonna test Underwood, I wish he would've chosen their 200 grain Gold Dot that travels around 1100 fps and appears to be the same ballistically as the Speer 200 grain Gold Dot 44 Magnum short barrel round. I've seen one gel test of the Speer 44 mag short barrel round that seemed pretty impressive, but I'd like to see if the Underwood 44 Special round had the same results.

Also, just once, I'd like to see a 44 Special article with a gel test of the Skeeter Load (250 grain semi-wadcutter travelling around 940 fps, I believe). I'm sure overpenetration is given, I'd just like to see HOW MUCH it overpenetrates.
    Ordinary guy

Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Jed View Post
    Also, just once, I'd like to see a 44 Special article with a gel test of the Skeeter Load (250 grain semi-wadcutter travelling around 940 fps, I believe). I'm sure overpenetration is given, I'd just like to see HOW MUCH it overpenetrates.
    I've got some Buffalo Bore in the attic. I'll try and get you that, but I'm betting you'll find the bullet some six or eight inches into the catch block.

Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Jed View Post
    If he was gonna test Underwood, I wish he would've chosen their 200 grain Gold Dot that travels around 1100 fps and appears to be the same ballistically as the Speer 200 grain Gold Dot 44 Magnum short barrel round. I've seen one gel test of the Speer 44 mag short barrel round that seemed pretty impressive, but I'd like to see if the Underwood 44 Special round had the same results.

I have posted some pictures here of a 255gr cast round nose hollow point that I've loaded to Skeeter specs. The bullet, made by GT Bullets, expands and penetrates nicely. Penetration is in the 15-16in range with bullets expanding to almost 3/4 of an inch. Recoil is stiff but is workable. Certainly more pleasant than a 44 Mag.

Funny, but I've never worried about defense when i was carrying a New Frontier with stoutly loaded 240 gr. SWCs...

Wonder if I should start carrying a Glock in the woods?....weak humor I know.

User Tag List