Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: 44 May be Special. But Not for Defense!

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    Picked up some Sig 200gr V-Crown locally. Will run it thru its paces today or tomorrow and report back.

nice shooting...whats the make of the gun. I don't want to get hit with a .44 special

Oops. Forgot to update this.

Ran some of the Sig 200gr V-Crown thru my GP100. Offhand, D/A group was about 2" at 10yds and well centered. Certainly not scientific, but put a few thru 1gal watr jugs to confirm expansion. (I was concerned from the short 3" barrel.). Recover d slugs measured about .650" with even expansion and near 100% weight retention. They passed through 3 jugs and ended up in the 4th. Like stated, unscientific but on par with both 9mm and .40 HST rounds that I tested. Recoil not bad. Certailnly less than the 240gr LSWC/7.5gr Unique I use for my field load.

They're in the speedloaders now.

I will try those. Might be a choice other than wimpy Hornaday ft 165s at 938 fps out of my 3" Bridgeport Bulldog. I also would not dispute any reasonable load from a .44 Special.

Quote Originally Posted by entropy View Post
    Oops. Forgot to update this.

Ran some of the Sig 200gr V-Crown thru my GP100. Offhand, D/A group was about 2" at 10yds and well centered. Certainly not scientific, but put a few thru 1gal watr jugs to confirm expansion. (I was concerned from the short 3" barrel.). Recover d slugs measured about .650" with even expansion and near 100% weight retention. They passed through 3 jugs and ended up in the 4th. Like stated, unscientific but on par with both 9mm and .40 HST rounds that I tested. Recoil not bad. Certailnly less than the 240gr LSWC/7.5gr Unique I use for my field load.

They're in the speedloaders now.
    Any chrono data on the SIG?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by finnmike View Post
    Might be a choice other than wimpy Hornaday ft 165s at 938 fps out of my 3" Bridgeport Bulldog.
    Have you tried Underwood's 200gr Bulldog load? It might be the right choice for your little revolver.

Last edited by Tokarev; 09-10-2017 at 07:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    Any chrono data on the SIG?

Unfortunately no. I forgot to pack the chrono when I took them to shoot. Next time.

I appreciate your long thread on this gun from months back. I went back through that several times in this process. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by entropy View Post
    Unfortunately no. I forgot to pack the chrono when I took them to shoot. Next time.

I appreciate your long thread on this gun from months back. I went back through that several times in this process. Thanks.
    If your velocities reflect those listed in the American Rifleman article I think I'd be hard pressed to choose the SIG ammo for a short barrel. 650ish fps is just too slow regardless of what Clear gel or water jugs might show. I have serious doubts about penetration through bone or similar with such low velocities.

I just went back and looked at Ed Head's review of the GP100 from back in December. He reported 689fps with the SIG load.

Last edited by Tokarev; 09-10-2017 at 08:35 AM.

A run of five Blazer Gold Dots averaged 868 fps (high 872/low 860) from my 3" Bridgeport. However, as others have observed, the aluminum cases do not extract easily and are unsuitable for a reasonably quick reload. Other than that a pretty decent loading.

My guess is the sales of the new Ruger GP100 will taper off and then completely dry up once the initial batches are sold. There are only so many people interested in a revolver of this type.

I wonder what a modern revolver with modern ammo would do? Would consumers want a larger frame Ruger LCR in 44 Special (or 38/357 for that matter) paired with modern ammo? Something that's tailored to provide good velocity from 3in barrels?

Maybe it hasn't been done before because there's just no public interest?

User Tag List