Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: 44 May be Special. But Not for Defense!

I periodically have to go down the rabbit hole on this and realize once again, that there's very little to be gained over using a 9mm with a good load from Doc's list for Duty or CCW use. Intuitively, you roll one of those .44/.45 rounds around in your hand and compare it to a 9mm round and it just FEELS like it should work better...

Some smart dude said something about feeling lying though...

I think it's less clear cut for "field pistols" and "woods guns" but then I again, I woodsbummed for a few years with a G19 full of TMJ-FPs and didn't feel poorly prepared.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

I would like to re-iterate a few points I have previously made:

-- Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie
    -- Basically all the standard service calibers work when using good quality ammunition.
    -- Cultivate a warrior mindset
    -- Invest in competent, thorough initial training and then maintain skills with regular ongoing practice
    -- Acquire a reliable and durable weapon system
    -- Purchase a consistent, robust performing duty/self-defense load in sufficient quantities (at least 1000 rounds) then STOP worrying about the nuances of handgun ammunition terminal performance.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    I periodically have to go down the rabbit hole on this and realize once again, that there's very little to be gained over using a 9mm with a good load from Doc's list for Duty or CCW use. Intuitively, you roll one of those .44/.45 rounds around in your hand and compare it to a 9mm round and it just FEELS like it should work better...

Some smart dude said something about feeling lying though...

I think it's less clear cut for "field pistols" and "woods guns" but then I again, I woodsbummed for a few years with a G19 full of TMJ-FPs and didn't feel poorly prepared.
    I actually think 9mm fmj fp kill better than 230grain fmj rn on coyotes down to Beaver. The .45 fmj works better on deer. Just my anecdotal experience.

Since .44 special seems to be no good, I'll probably just stick with .44 magnum for self defense since my revolver can shoot it. I'll try to find the 300 gr Hornady XTP or 225 Corbon DPX since Doc recommends those from his tests in 2003, hopefully I can find some. I'll probably continue to use the underwood 305gr on the trails.

I load a 240 gr full wadcutter to 950 and have for a number of years. None of the critters that have bit the dust at the front end of it have led me to think that it is somehow insufficient...

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    That reminds me...I need to start polishing brass for my usual “winter loading marathon”.

I think it might have been yourself earlier in this thread that questioned the performance of the Sig loading. This kinda confirms it.
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Jed View Post
    Oh yeah, I am a big fan of big wadcutters. They can be pretty accurate, too. This is the RimRock 200 grain DEWC with a moderate amount of 800X powder, running at about 1050 fps.
    I have a load very close to that; an NOE custom mold for a solid based 220ish grain wadcutter over Unique at around 1000FPS. It is devastating on milk jugs in initial testing. Completely exploded the first two jugs, tore up the third and stopped in the 6th. it was impressive to watch and listen to the water glug out of that clean edged perfectly round hole and rapidly empty down to the hole. I hope to try it on a hog at some point. I loaded up the same bullet in .44 special over some Red Dot and have it running about 800 FPS and it shoots nice in an n-frame but is a little too much for the 296. Going to drop it to around 675-700 for that.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    Attachment 37452

All of these projectiles were stopped by the first layer of denim on the far side of a 16" block of Clear Ballistics gel, after penetrating 4LD going in.
    • .45 Colt 250gr LFP
    • .45 Colt 225gr STHP
    • .44 Spl 200gr GDHP
    • .44 Spl 200gr LSWC-HP
    • .38 Spl 148gr Gold Medal Match HBWC
    • 9mm 124gr +P GDHP

The .45 Colt rounds were fired from a Charter Bulldog XL, the .44 Spl from a Model 296, the .38 Spl from a 2" Model 64, and the 9mm Gold Dot was the chambered round from my Langdon Beretta carry gun for a control.

I'm not certain that the aortic arch or spinal cord will function better with a .355" hole in it than a .452" hole.
    Thanks for posting this! Always interesting to see more tests where again load and caliber don't seem to matter anyway near as much as I grew up thinking they did, at least in small handguns.

Yes, the 242 seems like it was a revolver well ahead of its time, along with the 315 Nightguard.

Some thoughts on Skeeter's load and a bit of additional load data.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

User Tag List