Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 45ACP 185gr Remington Golden Saber

45ACP 185gr Remington Golden Saber

Here is a bit of quick info on the Remington Golden Saber 185gr fired into a block of 10% gel from Clear Ballistics. Rounds were fired from a distance of ten feet with a PACT chronograph set up immediately in front of the gel. Pistol used was a full-size SIG P320.

The Golden Saber, at least the non-bonded version, is one of the original hollowpoints made to withstand the FBI testing protocols developed after the Miami Shootout. As such, its performance is well documented and it is generally respected as a defensive bullet. I have tried a few 45 loads in gel but hadn't yet tried the GS and was curious to see if my results would mirror those of other testers.

Anyway here are my results:

Two rounds were fired into bare gel to establish a baseline for velocity and penetration. These two rounds clocked at 1,014 and 1,026 feet per second. Both bullets penetrated the first 16in block but not the second and were resting about halfway out the first block. They were easily plucked out with fingers.

Next was two rounds through two layers of cotton, a layer of fleece and a layer of denim to simulate the heavy clothing test. Velocities here were 983.4 fps and 1,019 fps. Both bullets penetrated right over the 16.5in mark. Just a bit more penetration than without the clothing barrier.

All four bullets appear to have retained most or all of their original weight with the heaviest being 184.0 grains and the lightest being 183.4 grains.

Bare gel first two on left.

.711 inches of expansion for bare gel.

.696 inches of expansion through the clothing barrier.

Overall the old Golden Saber appears to be a nice example of what endears the 45 Auto to those who choose to carry it.

Thanks for reading.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

The 185 grain GS was my carry load in the early-mid 90's for my Colt Officer's 1911. As you noted, it does reasonably well but there are some reports of the GS shedding its jacket. I stopped using it when I moved away from sub-4" barrels in 45ACP (and eventually to 9mm for 90% of my carry needs). Now, I use exclusively 230 grain HST or Gold Dots even when carrying a G30 which is my shortest 45. Anyway, thanks for the review. The GS is an oldie but goodie if you can't find HST or Gold Dots.
    Last edited by Sensei; 06-20-2017 at 12:59 PM.
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    The 185 grain GS was my carry load in the early-mid 90's for my Colt Officer's 1911. As you noted, it does reasonably well but there are some reports of the GS shedding its jacket. I stopped using it when I moved away from sub-4" barrels in 45ACP (and eventually to 9mm for 90% of my carry needs). Now, I use exclusively 230 grain HST even when carrying a G30 which is my shortest 45. Anyway, thanks for the review.
    HST is probably the better choice nowadays as are probably any of the bonded bullets if auto glass is a main concern.

I used to think the average citizen didn't need to worry too much about people in vehicles but that may no longer be the case given recent events in London and elsewhere.

Thanks both for the interesting report and the observation about citizens needing to worry about cars.

I had never thought that I'd need to worry about auto glass, but London (and Berlin and Nice before that) certainly has me wondering about whether it is something I should concern myself with.

There are a lot better choices for .45 Auto. If I wanted a 185 gr load, the all copper Barnes bullets work well.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Gold dots fo lyfe!
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

Quote Originally Posted by Peally View Post
    Gold dots fo lyfe!
    Is Speer shipping G2 yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    Is Speer shipping G2 yet?

I'm not the guy to ask as I have no idea, I just know they're stupid boring reliable in .45 and I had to represent
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

Gold dots fo lyfe!
    The 230 grain +P HST isn't too shabby in .45.

I'm not the guy to ask as I have no idea, I just know they're stupid boring reliable in .45 and I had to represent
    No real argument from me. Gold Dots seem to be a great choice almost regardless of caliber.

User Tag List