Thread: RFI, basic AR scope base/rings

RFI, basic AR scope base/rings

Wanting to aquire an AR scope base, I'm looking for basic, not QD, simple, and possibly with some elevation built in. My budget is fairly tight currently, Ive seen a few bases that look functional in the sub $100 range. Some reviews have mentioned they preferred the mounting screws being on the left side, some people had problems with cases hitting the screws, or it being annoying for access to the ejection port, is this a real problem or some quirky stuff that isn't likely to be a problem for most people? I don't see any particular advantage to them being on the right, but don't know if its truly a problem.

I don't think I need much if any extension or cantilever, I shoot an A2 stock (and prefer them more to anything else). Ive seen people mention having their nose to the charging handle, I don't, I'm about 3 + finger widths back at a comfortable position. The scope I have on a carry handle mount sits with the turrets several grooves behind the front of the receiver rail, so it doesn't look like extension is an issue for me. Just plain individual rings would do for me also, but I haven't found any that have approx. 1.5" line of sight comparable to irons in rings only. Id prefer to keep it simple and not add a riser into it.

Some bases have 20 minutes of elevation built in, if its all in the same quality and price ballpark, that seems good. I shoot plates to 600 yards, plink out to 1000-ish yards, and would like to start getting a little more predictable in results. I plan to put another plate or two out at 900 or 1000, so the added elevation may be useful. I don't have any expensive scopes, and am not likely to have them in my budget any time soon, so basic 1" hunting scopes are it for now, limited to what I already have.

Some things ive considered,

http://ads.midwayusa.com/product/136...flat-top-matte

https://armalite.com/shop/armalite-1...assembly-high/

If theres a basic, plain vanilla, fudd version of an AR shooter, that's me. Light weight, high speed, extra widget mounts etc aren't needed or don't appeal to me, just wanting a very basic, sturdy and functional mount. So, any ideas, suggestions, or thoughts?

Confirm you are shooting 5.56? What's the likely magnification/weight of the optic?

The best optic mount on the market currently is a toss up between bobro and geissele. If you don't want to spend the coin on one of those mounts, I'd highly recommend getting an Aero SPR mount as it's the best bang for buck which I've used recently that isn't QD. I am on my second one and have reviewed one while attached to another optic some time ago when they came out.

The Leupold one you posted isn't made by Leupold I believe it's made by someone else and their logo is stamped on it (usually the case).

I would get the armalite one as there are better mounts available.

Few questions you should ask yourself:

Light or heavy?
    Slick or bolts sticking out?
    Qd or not? (I know you said no but worth a consideration).

I would also recommend spending the extra coin for a good quality mount. You can always reuse it down the line and the last thing you want is to have an optic move off zero because of a crappy cheap mount...
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Thanks for the replies.

Yes, 5.56.

I don't need, and haven't figured out a want for a QD so far. Its going to be pretty permanently mounted.

Doesn't have to be light, the gun is a 20" HBar. If you meant scope weight, the scopes I have available that will work with this are a 2-7 older Redfield economy model with alloy tube, or a 2-7 Leupold VX-2. Probably the most scope this rifle will have may be a 3-9 Leupold some day.

Id as soon not have bolts sticking out, but it isn't a primary consideration. It may be better not to have them sticking out on the right side though.

I'm not going to win any medals, but really enjoy shooting distance. In the time Ive had an AR 10 years ago and shot it much, the vast majority of my shooting was 300 yards to 900-ish or so, irons and scoped. We have plates at 300 and 600 yards, and various natural targets of opportunity all over the side of the hill. I have no illusions about what the available scopes will do for me farther out being super precise, but as far as the mount, I just want solid, functional, and as reasonably priced as I can swing.
    Last edited by Malamute; 06-18-2017 at 10:28 PM.

I have this mount I got for free with the scope. It is 30 mm but has 1" inserts. It's yours to try and keep if it suits your needs. Let me known via PM.

Name:  maxresdefault.jpg
Views: 214
Size:  46.7 KB

Paul, thank you, yes, I would be interested in trying it.

A quick look at Midway USA shows lots of one piece AR mounts from $50 and up. I have an old Wilson Combat (no longer made) that has worked well for me but it looks like most of their current models are in the $150 range now.

https://www.midwayusa.com/s?userSear...temsPerPage=48

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    Yes, 5.56.
    If you meant scope weight, the scopes I have available that will work with this are a 2-7 older Redfield economy model with alloy tube, or a 2-7 Leupold VX-2. Probably the most scope this rifle will have may be a 3-9 Leupold some day.
    Sounds reasonable for the mounts you are looking at.

Heavier scopes + more recoil would require a different mount recommendation.

Site Supporter
    I used a gg&g riser and a set of warns weaver rings with a 3-9x leupold. It was a good combo. The nice part is you can use the rings on another rifle. It's not AR specific

I have an SWFA SSALT mount on an AR-15 with a Vortex 2-7, and it has worked very well for me for the price. It was between that and the Aero Precision mount, I've heard pretty good things about both. I use a set of 45 degree offset sights in conjunction just as an experiment.

The rifle has been dropped onto the optic twice, once on a hard surface. The mount held zero and has had well past a thousand rounds and has been lugged around a bunch. Take it for what it's worth.
    Last edited by warpedcamshaft; 06-19-2017 at 03:10 PM.

User Tag List