Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Checking my thinking on single stack 9

I agree with all of the thinking on the G43.

As for holster, I'd go with a SmartCarry. If anyone touches that during a hug, then the fact that you're armed will not be the main topic of any resulting conversation.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

I changed jobs recently so my needs have also changed. I have a shield and a 43 that I lean to if going to belt carry. I have carried my 43 in my pocket quite a bit but have never gotten as comfortable with it in my pocket as my model 60. I have carried my model 60 j frame the past two weeks and it simply works. With the heat and humidity and level of activity I decided to go a little lighter and just received a 442 for Father's Day.

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    Add me to the chorus. I own a J frame and 2 S&W Shields. Like you I have the Shield for places where carrying is legally allowed but socially undesirable. I mostly use the Shield as belt line gun that is extremely low profile - the thing basically evaporates. Even though in the same clothes I would have no problem carrying a Glock 26 or a Glock 19 to the grocery store or to some social functions, there are other environments where the social cost of "being made" is too high and I opt for the Shield instead.

Given that you're looking at pocket carry, I think you're on the right track with the G43. It looks like the smaller pistol overall and thus a better fit for your intended use. Having just shot the Shield and the Glock 26 side by side, the doublestack definitely shoots more like a fullsize gun, but it's by no means punishing.

As for the fate of your J frame ... well, if it's a no-lock variant and/or if it's well proven to you and/or has any sentimental value, I'd hold onto it. I generally don't sell guns as a rule unless it becomes painfully obvious they just aren't going to work out for me. Worst case scenario you have a good loaner for a friend in need, or a J frame to keep yourself familiar with the pocket revolver, etc. Unless there's a pressing need for the cash I'd just hang onto it. If none of the above hold true, move it along.
    Not planning on selling the 642 or it's 442 stablemate no matter how well the G43 idea works out. They're both no-lock models and I've had them a good while. Shooting the little suckers has been good trigger control practice for sure. Hell, if my employer keeps working me overtime at the current rate, I'll be able to buy two G43's and ten more mags before the summers over, along with holsters and new sights, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Jared View Post
    I looked at both the Shield and the 43, I just couldn't manage the Shield trigger dry fire near as well as I could the 43, so I picked based on trigger and future Gadget availability. Glad to hear that your thinking mirrors mine in the other aspects.

ETA: what holster are you having the best luck with for your Shield?
    I believe that the Dark Star Gear clip on holster is at the top of the heap for single stack 9s.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

For pocket carry, it's the Ruger LCR 327 Fed. Mag. for me. If using a holster, it's a Shield or Sig P320 SC.
    US Navy Veteran
    1961-1965

User Tag List