Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: US Navy Destroyer Severely Damaged in Collision

Ships the size of those two vessels don't start, stop or steer on a dime. In tight shipping lanes, it doesn't take much to turn a few thousand yards of clearance into a imminent collision. If the freighter veered off course, there may not have been anything the crew of the destroyer could have done to avoid a collision. The crew of the destroyer could have screwed up royally too. Without knowing what happened, operating off of the assumption that the two vessels were traveling in straight lines and crossed paths, leaves a lot possibilities off the table.
    Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right.

They didn't veer off course. The executed a 180 degree turn and several other erratic navigational What the fucks just prior to impacting the Navy vessel.
    Last edited by Odin Bravo One; 06-17-2017 at 08:20 PM.
    You can get much more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.

US Navy Destroyer Severely Damaged in Collision

Seven crew found in the berthing spaces perished.

May they Rest In Peace.

https://www.navytimes.com/articles/s...iscovered-dead

"A number of Sailors that were missing from the collision between USS Fitzgerald (DDG 62) and a merchant ship have been found,” the release said. “As search and rescue crews gained access to the spaces that were damaged during the collision this morning, the missing Sailors were located in the flooded berthing compartments."
    Last edited by RJ; 06-17-2017 at 10:36 PM.

Damn! RIP to the sailors who perished.

Hope we learn something that help prevent another incident.

Quote Originally Posted by Chance View Post
    The container ship was sailing really erratically.

Attachment 17413

Did a u-turn, then corrected course. Apparently, it suffered so little damage it went on to its original destination.
    do we have an idea where the Fitzgerald was on this map? at the time of the collision?
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

US Navy Destroyer Severely Damaged in Collision

Back in the day - a long time ago - I stood some of those late night/early morning watches. In respect of the crew, I'll defer from speculating what happened. Of course, the Navy will conduct a detailed investigation. A public news story doesn't provide nearly sufficient details.

Prayers for our sailors on board, for those who lost their lives, and their families.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by SamAdams; 06-18-2017 at 09:45 AM.

Fair winds and following seas for the sailors that lost their lives. May their families and shipmates receive comfort and strength.

thought the name sounded familiar...
    different ship though... SS Edmund Fitzgerald
    Last edited by hufnagel; 06-18-2017 at 12:14 PM.
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    From CNN:

The water flow into compartments that were berthing areas for 116 of the ship's crew was "tremendous", he said, adding that "there wasn't a lot of time in those spaces that were open to the sea."

Aucoin said the cabin of the Fitzgerald's captain, Cmdr. Bryce Benson, was completely destroyed. "He's lucky to be alive," he added.

Benson was flown off the crippled ship by helicopter after the accident and was being treated at the naval hospital at Yokosuka, according to Aucoin, as were two other sailors who were medevaced.
    Berthing area being where sailors sleep, right? They're saying most of the damage is below the water line.

Quote Originally Posted by hufnagel View Post
    do we have an idea where the Fitzgerald was on this map? at the time of the collision?
    No. The website MarineTraffic.com doesn't track military vessels.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

User Tag List