Page 13 of 25 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: US Navy Destroyer Severely Damaged in Collision

Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    I'm not sure that relieving a fleet commander a few weeks before he was going to retire anyway sends a very strong message. Mattis is no stranger to relieving officers--he relieved a very well respected regiment commander during the drive to Baghdad, but perhaps now is the time to find out the facts and then fire the right people--not just those who are available.

Oils and Lotions SME
    Reports are that the McCain suffered a loss of steerage casualty. Rumors are flying that there is potential of the ship's steering having been hacked.

My specific knowledge of the design of Cruisers and Destroyers is limited to ships that were built 25 years before this generation of Tin Can. I can't speak to the hacking being possible or not, but the ramifications if it is possible makes me shudder.

I left the Navy in 1995 as a Nuke MM2 off of the decommissioned USS Truxtun (CGN-35).
    Last edited by Aray; 08-23-2017 at 11:08 AM.
    Hokey religions and ancient lubricants are no match for a good Group IV PAO

Owner 360 Performance Shooting

Quote Originally Posted by Aray View Post
    Reports are that the McCain suffered a loss of steerage casualty. Rumors are flying that there is potential of the ship's steering having been hacked.

My specific knowledge of the design of Cruisers and Destroyers is limited to ships that were built 25 years before this generation of Tin Can. I can't speak to the hacking being possible or not, but the ramifications if it is possible makes me shudder.
    I have no idea what's happening with the US Navy. Its been many years since I stood late night watches on Navy warships. And, its highly unlikely that the Pentagon would report such electronics warfare acts to the public if it did happen.

Here's a quote from a man who formerly was in British Naval Intelligence:

"Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action." - Ian Fleming

Who knows?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeep View Post
    I'm not sure that relieving a fleet commander a few weeks before he was going to retire anyway sends a very strong message. Mattis is no stranger to relieving officers--he relieved a very well respected regiment commander during the drive to Baghdad, but perhaps now is the time to find out the facts and then fire the right people--not just those who are available.
    Depends on what happens to him and his pension as a result of this action.

If his actions were negligent and resulted in the deaths of men and damage to ships he should be court marshaled and face the consequences if his actions. The number of seconds before he retires is irrelevant.

If you're willing to go after a high ranking guy so close to retirement it sends a message to those with time left.

Quote Originally Posted by TAZ View Post
    Depends on what happens to him and his pension as a result of this action.

If his actions were negligent and resulted in the deaths of men and damage to ships he should be court marshaled and face the consequences if his actions. The number of seconds before he retires is irrelevant.

If you're willing to go after a high ranking guy so close to retirement it sends a message to those with time left.
    It sounds like they are just relieving him--not actually investigating. If it turns out that the McCain was at fault here, it wouldn't surprise me if Washington relieves the reliever and fires the commander of the Pacific Fleet. That would take political pressure off, but when things like that happen I always wonder if it simply isn't making a scapegoat to hide deeper underlying issues.

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    I'm amazed this wasn't done earlier. Lives have been lost, millions upon millions of dollars have been flushed, and the entire institution has been embarrassed.

Quote Originally Posted by SamAdams View Post
    Here's a quote from a man who formerly was in British Naval Intelligence:

"Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action." - Ian Fleming

Who knows?
    Well, this is the fourth time this year a ship has hit something. Did Fleming have a saying for that?
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

Quote Originally Posted by Chance View Post
    I'm amazed this wasn't done earlier. Lives have been lost, millions upon millions of dollars have been flushed, and the entire institution has been embarrassed.

Well, this is the fourth time this year a ship has hit something. Did Fleming have a saying for that?
    I don't know if he did.

Maybe something like, "Bloody Hell !" ?

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chance View Post
    No, but Earnest K Gann did: "Rule books are made of paper. They will not cushion a sudden meeting of stone and metal."
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

It sounds like they are just relieving him--not actually investigating. If it turns out that the McCain was at fault here, it wouldn't surprise me if Washington relieves the reliever and fires the commander of the Pacific Fleet. That would take political pressure off, but when things like that happen I always wonder if it simply isn't making a scapegoat to hide deeper underlying issues.
    Hopefully they are investigating the incidents and are relieving the guy for something factual. If all they are doing is making a scapegoat to hide the weenie, they aren't doing much to help the situation. Not going to look too cool when CVN meets a tanker, or something, sinks and or kills a pile of folks.

The problem needs to be solved not swept under the rug. If the issue is some guy with a gazillion stars on his shoulder screwing off, then chop him and his pension off at the knees and or dump him in prison. If it's incompetent sailors screwing off do the same. I know.... I need to go outside and check to see what color the sky is in my world.

The concern is deeper then that.

If there's a systemic failure of military standards and ethics in the 7th fleet,firing the CO alone won't solve it. The XO -promoted under that toxic culture- simply perpetuates the mistakes of his predecessor in the promoted position once the heat does down.

Actually fixing the problem means looking at the 7th fleet from the lowly recruit all the way up to the top Admiral billet,and making hard decisions on training and education. At some point the Navy's going to have to switch from "witch hunt" mode to "problem solve" mode.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

User Tag List