Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IWI Razorcore 77 grain SMK OTM LR MOD-1: An Excellent Alternative to BH MK 262 MOD 1

IWI Razorcore 77 grain SMK OTM LR MOD-1: An Excellent Alternative to BH MK 262 MOD 1

For those of you looking for a accurate, affordable, and reliable alternative to Black Hills 77 grain OTM, I strongly suggest that you consider the IWI Razorcore 77 grain SMK OTM LR MOD-1. I picked up some from SGAmmo.com for roughly $0.67 / round which is about 40% less than what you will pay for new civilian Black Hills 77 grain OTM (red box). Moreover, the IWI round has some advantages to the civilian BH load in that the primers and necks are crimped and sealed as per the pictures below:

Name:  IMG_2674.jpg
Views: 2053
Size:  46.2 KB
    Name:  IMG_2675.jpg
Views: 2540
Size:  60.0 KB
    These features can be found in true milspec MK 262 MOD 1 but not the civilian equivalent, and is big plus for ammo that you plan to use for duty applications.

I tested some of this ammo through my Noveske SPR build and NF 2.5-10X42 pictured in post # 683 here: https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....Gallery/page69

This rifle is zero’ed for BH 77 grain SMK and typically holds about 0.8-1.25 MOA 10-shot groups with a quality factory version of the 77 grain SMK including the Black Hills. The specs for the rifle and glass can be found in post # 46 here: https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....-gas-gun/page5

Testing conditions were as follows:

Shooting from Caldwell front and rear sandbags
    Temperature 77.9
    Pressure 30 Hg
    Humidity 83% (yuck)
    Altitude 1256.6 ft
    Wind 1.6 mph, 279 degrees

A 10-shot group was obtained at 100 yards yielding the following results:

Name:  IMG_2676.jpg
Views: 2043
Size:  31.6 KB

The first two shots were a combination of a clean cold bore and my shitty marksmanship from sandbags, but the ragged hole produced by rounds 3-10 is more representative of the ammo’s capability. Overall, extreme spread of 1.43” / 1.37 MOA is respectable for a 10-shot, factory load. It is also reasonably close to what @Molon has produced with the BH 77 grain SMK load.

Average velocity 10 feet from the muzzle for 5 rounds measured with a Competition Electronics Chrono was 2760 +/- 13 fps (extreme spread 35 fps).

Overall, this is excellent milspec 77 grain SMK ammo. I’m stocking up on it.
    Last edited by Sensei; 06-15-2017 at 07:24 PM.
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

Definitely agree. I'm working up my dope book for a new BCM Recce I built, and the IMI Razor ammo is performing really well.

I have yet to try their 69-grain load. Have you had a chance to try it yet?

http://www.sgammo.com/product/223-55...ore-imi-ammo-s

Thanks for sharing your data. I will look forward to your future tests.

I've got a bunch I'm gana zero my sr15 with.

77otm is basically my goto when it comes to non-range use.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    Definitely agree. I'm working up my dope book for a new BCM Recce I built, and the IMI Razor ammo is performing really well.

I have yet to try their 69-grain load. Have you had a chance to try it yet?

http://www.sgammo.com/product/223-55...ore-imi-ammo-s

Thanks for sharing your data. I will look forward to your future tests.
    No Sir, the only other IMI loads that I've used are there M855 and M193.

What's your barrel length?

Quote Originally Posted by ldunnmobile View Post
    What's your barrel length?
    18" stainless 1:7 twist

Full specs in post # 46 here: https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....-gas-gun/page5

Site Supporter
    Sensei - Thanks for the review. I've placed an order for testing in my SIG MCX. Best, ELN.

Nice report. 1.6 MPH wind...gotta love the calm days
    Last edited by SecondsCount; 06-16-2017 at 01:28 PM.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Has anyone tried the .308 IWI Razor Core offerings? Their 168 and 175 grain SMK may be an excellent, low cost alternatives to FGMM.

I've been happy with the IMI Razorcore as well. It's been a while since I shot groups, but it's been a 1.5 MOA load at 600 for me in the past(10 Rd groups).

For the price I haven't seen anything come close to it. Tried Freedom Munitions, ADI, Hornady steel, Creedmoor Sports. None of them were as consistent at 500 and 600 as the IMI. I've got a box of the 69gr that I haven't had a chance to try out yet.

User Tag List