Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 50 rounds a day.

I think I'm going to give this a try to start.

Monday; Dot Torture http://pistol-training.com/drills/dot-torture
    Tuesday; F.A.S.T. http://pistol-training.com/drills/the-fast
    Wednesday; 4567 Drill; http://pistol-training.com/drills/4567-drill
    Thursday; Tri-10 http://pistol-training.com/drills/tri-10
    Friday; Free-For-All. Try something new or work on something I think needs improvement.

I like your idea and think a guy could really hone his skills with some thoughtfulness.

What are your ultimate goals and what are you wanting to achieve? General proficiency? IDPA? USPSA? All of the above?

Might be interesting to keep a log of your progress. Maybe pick some type of basic drill(s) as a baseline and then shoot them again in a month to see how you're coming along.

General proficiency on the fundamentals for the most part. If I have a match coming up I could change it up the week before to focus on it.

I also have access to another range on the weekends where I can shoot at longer ranges and mutable targets.

I'd do DT one day, LSD (25 yd @ NRA-B8) the next, Gabe White Standards after that, one handed shooting day after that, and rinse wash repeat.

This is just me, what I'd do. Throw in a periodic FAST drill every now and then. If had a liberal ammo budget, I'd work on my one handed shooting until I shot better with each hand than I did with two!

Trying to get a mix of accuracy and speed work. I'm sure a Bill Drill only day would be good too. (Or Garcia dots).
    Last edited by rojocorsa; 06-20-2017 at 06:53 PM.

Whatever you do keep a journal with scores and times, etc.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Banned
    If you could actually shoot 50 rounds a day and focus on accuracy and precision, then add speed, you would be amazed at the improvement you would expeirence over several weeks of practice. Way too many people go out to the range and engage in ridiculously useless "practice" blowing through several hundred rounds at a time, and shooting from unrealistic distances and not really concentrating on accuracy, first, then speed.

A word to the wise is sufficient.

If I could actually shoot 50 rounds a day, I'd focus on putting every round through the same hole at extremely close distances and backing up to the fail point and doing it again, and again, and again and ... over and over until I was getting tight groups, very tight, at 10 yards, over and over again. Then I'd work on speed. Then shooting from the draw, etc. etc.
    Last edited by NickS; 06-20-2017 at 08:05 PM.

Personally...I'd do Defoor Pistol Test #1 (16 rounds), Gabe White's Standards (17 rounds), the FAST drill (6 rounds) and a 10 round 25Y timed group on a NRA B8 from the holster in under 30 seconds. That is 49 rounds. Make round #50 a timed draw to a 3x5 @ 7Y.
    Last edited by MSparks909; 06-20-2017 at 10:04 PM.
    Shoot more, post less...

I shot 100 rounds a day, every day during May 2016. I'd start every session with a dot torture and then either spend the remaining rounds working on my weakest skill displayed on that days dot torture; or I'd shoot 5 shot groups at 25 yards.

Try really hard to make every shot count by focusing on proper grip and trigger control. The range sessions usually lasted 35-40 minutes and were mentally taxing as it's hard for me to focus that intently. I was honestly sick of training towards the end of that period, but it was really effective at improving my accuracy. Would do again if I had the time.

I also supplemented range time with dry practice and holster work.

Have fun and don't quit.
    If you're not going to learn to use the front sight properly, don't bother with it. If pointing the gun, screaming "Ahhhhh!" and cranking on the trigger is all you can learn to do, work on doing that safely. -ToddG

Quote Originally Posted by 5pins View Post
    If you had 50 rounds a day for practice what would you work on? The only drawbacks are. The range is limited to about 10 yards. ItÂ’s indoors and movement is limited as are multiple targets. Drawing, mag changes, weak hand only, strong had only, and rapid fire are allowed.
    I'd shoot 100 rounds every other day and spend the days in between dry firing the next day's drill. I'd also try to keep my strings below 4 rounds to increase the reps of draws and reloads since the first shot after each of these skills is where misses usually occur. Given limited ammo, I'd work accuracy drills heavily in dry fire, but minimally in live fire.

Range session 1 would be geared toward transitions. First 50 rounds would be three or four 2" dots at 7 yards. I'd work this SHO, WHO and freestyle, focusing more on accuracy than speed. The next 50 rounds would be the Hackathorne 3 second head standards run on 3x5 index cards at 5-7 yards. I may run a few extra rounds in this session because of SHO & WHO. My focus would be on getting my eyes trained to move quickly to the next target as soon as each shot breaks. The 3x5 cards allow you to set up decent transitions on a single target carrier.

Range session 2 would focus on draws, controlled pairs and reloads. 4 Aces at 10 yards. I'd do most of these freestyle, but add a few where I switch to SHO or WHO after the reloads. Some would go body for the first two rounds, then head after the reload. Running 4 Aces at 10 yards is a great prep for USPSA and IDPA Classifiers.

Range day 3 would be a bit of crescendo where the skills from the first two sessions are tested. I'd start with three FAST run cold. The remaining 82 rounds I'd split FAST into two body zones as far apart as the target carrier will allow to add a transition, and try to hit the same time standard with two shots to each body zone instead of four shots to one body.

The above would be my core training schedule, and it is an abbreviated version of what I did to make MA in IDPA. I'd mix it up with a session of DOT Torture and Bill Drills every couple weeks.
    Last edited by Stuffbreaker; 10-16-2017 at 08:16 AM.

User Tag List